1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E500 as a uPnP media server

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bugblatter, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, got an E500 a month ago and have been looking for a way to access the recordings from a PC. When I read that it had ethernet I'd assumed that this would be easy, that I'd be able to access the harddrive across the network. I also thought I should be able to have the E500 playing DivXs etc straight from my PCs. As it is the ethernet connection is totally useless to me.

That is, unless I can make use of its uPnP capabilities.

Now it provides a uPnP PC interface, but all it allows you to do is to name files and to play the dire-quality DivX files it can record. Whoop-dee-doo! And I have to put the E500 in standby mode first, which is a pain.

But according to the manual if you have another E500 then each can play the other's recordings, so it is able to expose the high-quality recordings over the ethernet connection.

So what I've been trying to do is to use a uPnP client (Nero ShowTime CE) to access the content. No luck, it doesn't see the E500 at all.

I also tried setting up a uPnP media server (Nero MediaHome CE) on the PC to see if the E500 could access the media on the PC. Again no luck, it's able to see the media server but it can't connect to it.

Does anyone have any ideas, either for getting the uPnP working or for other ways of accessing the recordings (other than burning them)?

2. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So nobody else interested in doing this? I'd have thought being able to easily get your recordings onto a PC, without burning, would be pretty popular.

Well anyway I tried installing Nero ShowTime on my other PC, after installing uPnP, and ShowTime was able to see the E500 and browse to the video files.

After removing and re-installing uPnp on my main PC and disabling Zone Alarm that PC was able to do the same.

So major progress

It'd be great if ShowTime could actually play the files though It either tells me it can't play for the file or hangs.

Having said that I'm not actually looking to play the files, but to transfer them to the PC. Any ideas on how to do this? I think I need a uPnP client that's able to stream files to the PC's harddrive.

Getting closer anyway :)