1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E50 V E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jonesman, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Jonesman

Jonesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Im after buying one of the above DVD Recorders.

I know the E55 is to replace the E50, what are the specs regarding ouputs do they both have Composite video in\out and is this connection the best for picture quality??

Also can anyone who owns the E50 comment on Picture quality for recording and also for playback of pre owned dvds.

Thanks Jonesman

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Composite (Video) is the worst type of input. Ignoring digital connections (HDMI, DVI etc) and assuming all things are equal then the best types of connections are from best to worst:
    - Component (Best)
    - RGB
    - S-Video
    - Composite (Worst)

All the Panasonic models have RGB, S-Video and Composite in and out. The E55 (along with the other new models from Panny) also have Component OUT which should offer a higher quality of playback picture for compatible displays. Component also allows progressive Scan output. You can find out more about PS here:
    http://www.progressivescan.co.uk/

But with regards to one of your questions then both the E50 and E55 have RGB input which is currently the best type of input you can get on a recorder.

3. Jonesman

Jonesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rasczack

Thanks for above information, i am a bit naive technically so please bear with me.

If the E55 has a Component Out, i have a Hitachi 42pd3000 Plasma, if this has a Component in is this the best connection to use .

Thanks Jonesman

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes - especially as your component in socket is PS capable. Of course there haven't been any reviews of the E55 yet so we don't know how good it's PS will be - although if it's the same sort of callibre as the S35/S75 Panasonic DVD players then it should be very good.

5. Jonesman

Jonesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Rasczak much appreciated.