Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic E50 timer recording satellite

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sceptic, Nov 24, 2003.

1. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I can record from satellite on AV2 whilst the programme is live but.........
    How can I set the E50 to record satellite using a timer?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Page 15 of the E50 manual describes two scenarios. The first is when you have the E50 connected to the VCR output of the digibox. With this method you don't get RGB quality recordings, but you can use the Sky Personal Planner in conjuction with the E50's ext link button to set timed recordings. Ensure AV2 connection is set to "External Link 1" in the E50 setup menu. Once you've set up the Sky Planner, press Ext Link on the front of the E50. The E50 should start and stop as timed programmes occur.

The second method is for when the sky TV scart is connected to AV2 on the E50 to ensure RGB quality recordings. In this case you set AV2 connection to "Normal", set up the Sky Personal Planner and set up timer events on the E50 as normal. Clearly this method is not as convenient as the first but has the advantage of RGB quality recordings.

It's up to you to decide whether the convenience is more important than picture quality. You may find that composite video quality is good enough.

3. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    bobone - thanks for replying.
    When you say "set up timer events on the E50 as normal" how does this work? The normal way is to select the channel being recorded, 1 = BBC1, etc. However there is no channel number to select when using Sky. This is the thing that is baffling me.

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The channel corresponds to whatever AV input your sky box is connected to: probably AV2. Just wind back from BBC1 to get the AV channels.

5. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be AV1 or AV2 depending on what scart socket you have connected it upto.

regards

Dude

6. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks guys. I'm there now.
    One thing I didn't realise before, though. You can't watch the start of a programme whilst it is still recording on Sky.
    I suppose everyone else in the world knew this but I didn't :blush:

7. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Why not? Just set your tv to AV1 and it will display whatever signal the E50 is currently recording. If you want to watch the start of the recording, just press play or direct navigator or timeslip.

If this doesn't work, can you tell us how you have all your kit connected?

8. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for that. I'll give it a go

9. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    bobones - as you probably suspected I had the Skybox to TV connections wrongly set up.
    I've spent hours checking this. The box connections are hard to access and the scarts have a tendency to loosen when I pull the TV out.
    Aaaaaaanyway I think it's all OK now. I can watch the start of a Sky programme while it continues to record and the timeslip functions works.
    Thanks again for your help. :clap: