Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic E50 Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dazzer123, Sep 26, 2003.

1. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Panasonic E50 and I am having some recording problems basically I have it set up like this, Panasonic Sky box plugged into AV2 of the recorder from Sky boxes TV scart, AV1 of the recorder to AV1 (RGB In) of my Hitachi TV set. In the recorder Av setup menu I have Av1 output set to RGB and Av2 input set to RGB and Av2 connection set to normal.

The problem is that when I record from the recorders analogue tuner I am unable to watch Sky as I can get no signal while the recorder is switched on, unable to watch terrestrial on TV as the picture the recorder is sending to Av1 scrolls across the screen on all channels accept Av1 where the picture displays correctly When Av2 connection setting of the recorder is set to decoder I am able to get a sky signal whilst recording from analogue but when sky is switched on the recorder starts to record sky instead does anyone have any idea on how to overcome this problem ideally I would like to record from terrestrial while watching Sky being fed through the recorders RGB loop through this was possible on my previous recorder which was a useless Phillips 980.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Off the top of my head I don't think this is possible. If you use the RGB loop through you can only 'see' what channel/input the DVD recorder is set to when it is on.

There are, of course, a number of workarounds. Firstly you could buy a signal splitter. You could then wire up as follows (assuming your TV has two RGB in sockets):

Sky TV Out (RGB) > Splitter > E50 AV2 then AV1 > TV (RGB in)
    Sky TV Out (RGB) > Splitter > TV (RGB in)

If your TV only has one RGB socket, or you have other RGB enabled hardware a Scart controller would be the way forward (see www.keene.co.uk or similar).

A second option would be to output a video (composite) signal from the VCR out Scart on your Sky digibox to a spare socket on your TV. This would enable you to watch Sky albeit in horrific composite.

My personnel work around would be avoid recording ANYTHING from an analogue source though as it doesn't look nearly as good as a digital TV picture recorded using RGB in. But that's just my personnel preference.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I have an E30 with my video recorder still being used as part of the loop. I can watch Sky and record Sky on the E30, I can watch analogue through the tv's tuner whilst the E30 is recording Sky, but it is not possible to tape from an analogue source whilst watching a Sky programme in RGB. The E30 will always default to the Sky channel for recording in that situation. My video still works in any situation. Hope you can follow all that - sounds as clear as mud on reading it back, but I know what I mean.