Panasonic E50 - problem with timeslip

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SmokyToby, Nov 26, 2003.

1. SmokyToby

SmokyToby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had a Panasonic E50 for about a month now, replacing my VCR, and have been very impressed with the recording quality and ease of use. But, I have found a problem when trying to use the "timeslip" and "simultaneous record & play" while recording from my ntl cable box. Basically, I seem to be only able to view on the TV what is currently being recorded on AV2 - I can't watch either that programme from the start (timeslip), or another programme recorded previously. As a "non-techie" I would appreciate some advice as to whether my connections or set-up need changing.

As I live in a poor terrestial reception area, I have the ntl cable principally for the picture quality, but also still use the terrestial to be able to watch a different programme while recording from the cable.

Set up is:

Aerial -> E50 -> TV via RF cable
    ntl box -> E50 (AV2 in) -> TV (AV1 out) all via scart

My TV is an 8 year old 4:3 Ferguson with a single scart socket. I was wondering whether the fact that I can only view from the ntl while the TV is set to AV2 might be the problem - a conflict with the E50 recording on AV2. Selecting AV1 on the TV just causes a blank screen. I know the timeslip works fine when recording from terrestial e.g. CH 3, as I can view AV2 on the TV.

Any help will be very gratefully received.
    Thanks

Neil

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You say the TV has only one scart, so what is this AV2 you mention and what is connected to it? Do you have the ntl tv or vcr scart connected to the E50?

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I have a freeview box hooked up a similarway. I can timeslip just fine.

Scarts

Freeview - AV2 in on E50 (bottom scart) - AV1 out (top scart) from E50 - AV1 of the TV. These are all set to RGB.

Aerial - Aerial in on Freeview box - Arial out of Freeview box - Aerial in on E50 - Aerial out of E50 - Aerial in on TV.

I put the E50 on AV2 to see the ouput of the Freeview box. This goes through the E50 to the TV. I can then record Freeview on E50 by pressing record or timer. The display for the E50 goes over the top of the Freeview signal.

If i press play while recording (after at least 30 seconds of recording), I get the beginning of the recording. There is a temporily display on the TV that shows that record and playing is taking place.

If I press the button for Direct Navigator I get the list of past recordings. I can then choose one of them and play it.

I can watch another channel using the tuner in the TV using the TV remote.

You should be seeing NTL on the TV on AV1 of the TV and not AV2.

4. SmokyToby

SmokyToby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bobones

Although the TV only has one scart (connected to the output from the E50), I can select either AV1 or AV2 on the TV remote control. However only AV2 displays a picture - whatever is being received from the E50. The VCR is no longer in the system - I have the NTL box is connected to the E50.

Sorry if I am confusing you.

Nei

5. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can you explain the connections from the NTL box carefully.

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Doesn't the ntl box have two scart outputs though? I am totally confused about what av2 is on your tv. Can you double check all your connections, and tell us what is connected to what giving the actual labels on the equipment.

7. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've only got 1 scart, I also don't see how you can have an AV2. I think this is a connections problem.

Regards

Dude

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    AV2 on the TV could be a yellow phono/s video socket. It should be coming on AV1 on the TV though.

9. SmokyToby

SmokyToby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the replies, guys.

The details of my connections are:

A Terrestial

1. Aerial to RF Input socket on E50 using RF lead
    2. E50 RF output socket to TV RF input socket using RF lead

B Ntl box

1. Ntl box scart socket (marked "vcr") to E50 AV2 (lower) scart socket
    2. E50 AV1 (upper) scart socket to the only scart socket on the TV

Note: the other scart socket on the Ntl box, marked "tv" is not being used.

To confirm, my TV remote can select programme "AV1" or "AV2" - even though there is only one scart socket- but, only "AV2" will display a picture from the E50 or Ntl box.

To be very basic, and hopefuly pr-empt some further questions from you, the following is an explanation of what I do to view, record etc.

1. Watch cable channel via Ntl box:
    With E50 in standby mode and Ntl box tuned to cable channel, select "AV2" on the TV remote control

2. Record cable channel on E50 and watch different channel on terrestial:
    Select channel "AV2" on the E50 remote and with Ntl box tuned to desired cable channel, record. Select terrestial channel eg "Ch3" on TV remote to watch terrestial programme

3. Record terrestial channel on E50 and watch different channel on Ntl cable:
    Select relevant terrestial channel on E50 remote (eg Ch 3) and record. With Ntl box tuned to desired cable channel select "AV2" channel on TV remote.

4. Watch pre-recorded or own recorded DVD:
    With E50 switched on, select "AV2" on TV remote

5. Record terrestial programme while watching previously recorded programme on DVD-Ram:
    With E50 switched on, select relevant terrestial channel on E50 remote (eg Ch 3) and record. Select "AV2" on the TV remote and press Direct Navigator on the E50 remote. I can then watch any on the displayed list, including the programme being recorded (timeslip).

6. "THE PROBLEM"
    Record Ntl cable programme while watching previously recorded programme on DVD-Ram:
    With relevant Ntl cable channel selected, select "AV2" on E50 remote and record. Select "AV2" on the TV remote and I can see what is being recorded "live". Press Direct Navigator button on the E50 remote - nothing happens. I can still only see what is being recorded "live". The same is true if I select the functions menu on the E50. The E50 appears to be doing the sim rec/play as I can see the display change on the E50 unit.

I hope the above is of some help.

Thanks

Neil

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I have the TV out from the freeview box to the Av2 of the E50 (not the VCR scart). Can you do the same with ther NTL?

It would loop through the E50 and to the TV. You then select the right input on the TV to see the picture of the NTL Anything the E50 will do will then show on the TV.

11. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK let's try;

A

leave RF connections as they are

B

1. NTL box - use the TV scart instead of the VCR scart to connect to E50 AV2
    2. E50 AV1 as you have it.

In the E50 set up make sure everything is set to output RGB and the AV2 connection is set to "normal"

This will allow ( following your numbers )

3 is a problem because the NTL signal will not pass through the E50 when it is recording. Most people use the NTL VCR scart to connect to a second scart on their TV - but you don't have one. The only option here would be to buy an RGB scart switch box from Argos, costing about £9.95

I read what you say about "the problem" but try the above first.

However can you check 2 things?

1. Is your NTL box set to output RGB?
    2. Is your scart on the TV RGB capable - check the manual?

Please also tell us what the scart is marked as on the back of the TV - it should say AV1 or AV2. Although you have only one scart you must have another input of some sort e.g S-Video or a set of 3 phonos usually marked video, audio left and right. One of these inputs will be AV1 and the other AV2. The reason we're all asking is that normally the scart is AV1 yet you say that the picture is coming through from AV2.

12. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    That is the only way I know how to setup these things and get RGB. IT is the way I have my setup.

13. SmokyToby

SmokyToby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The scart socket on the TV is labelled AV1. I was not around last night to change the output connection of the ntl box, as suggested. I will experiment tonight!

As regards connection type, I have not got it set up as RGB. The ntl box is outputting "composite". The E50 is set up AV1 "video", AV2 "video", AV2 connection "normal". The TV is set to "video". I appreciate that RGB is best, but the original remote on the TV was broken and I can't access the TV setup menu screens from the cheapo replacement remote. The Ferguson TV manual gives no instructions on how to access the setup menus from the front panel buttons!

Neil

14. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK so now can you find out what has the label AV2 - phonos, s-video?

You don't need to access the set up menu on the TV to get RGB. If your scart is RGB capable ( does your manual say that it is ) then switching the NTL box and E50 to RGB will take it through automatically.

So basically;
    E50 - set AV1 to RGB and AV2 to RGB
    NTL - set to RGB

15. SmokyToby

SmokyToby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    quote:OK so now can you find out what has the label AV2 - phonos, s-video?

There is a blanking plate next to the AV1 scart socket labelled AV2, presumably for when a second scart socket is provided. The only other input (other than audio) is a single cinch type socket on the front of the TV behind a flap. This is labelled "video".

I will have a go at setting up as RGB as you suggested. I tried before by setting the appropriate settings on the E50, but didn't set the ntl box to RGB out. The TV wouldn't display anything - even the E50 setup screen so I could go back to before. I can't recall how I managed to get it back. Probably powered everything off!

16. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    We'll see how you get on.

This part bothers me though
    Can you do this or is it something you want to do?

17. SmokyToby

SmokyToby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Problem solved!!

I moved the connection on the ntl box from "vcr" to "tv" and I can now record from ntl and watch a programme recorded earlier on the same disk.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Neil

18. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Glad you got it sorted.

Have you tried out RGB?

19. SmokyToby

SmokyToby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No I haven't tried RGB. Will have a go in due course. Thanks for your help.

Neil

20. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No problem.