1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E50 pre-purchase & set-up questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Yuccaman, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On the verge of buying an E50 (although I'm not sure if I should wait for the proposed price cut !!!)....

Anyway, I have a couple of newbie questions and any set-up advice on connections would be useful....

1 - If I get a MultiRegion model, will this only impact the discs that can be *played*.... i.e, all recorded discs are not region encoded ?

2 - I read elsewhere that the E50 does not accept caddied DVD-RAM.... Is this the case ?

3 - In relation to set-up, are the two Scart sockets bi-directional or is it 1 for Input & 1 for Output ?

Set-up.....

The equipment I'll have is:

E50 Recorder
    Sky +
    PS2
    An nice new Panny MultiRegion S35 or S75 DVD Player (any recommendation as to which one to get ?)

These will go to a TV via the BTEC (I think) BT21 Mk III...

I currently have a Video in Socket A, Sky+ in B and a standard 3 way switch in C with existing DVD & PS2 connected to it.

Video & existing DVD will move upstairs....

Ideally, I want things set up so I can record to the E50 from both DVD Player & Sky+ without swopping cables over (I'll be copying from DVD-RAM on the Panny player to DVD-R on the recorder quite a bit - No PC for editing here...)

Also, I'd like to be able to watch another Unit whilst recording, i.e watch a DVD / Play the PS2 whilst Sky+ records to the E50, or vice versa....

Assuming the E50 Scarts are ONE direction only, what I was think of was:

- Sky+ TV socket to Manual Switchbox
    - DVD to Manual Switchbox
    - Manual Switchbox goes into E50
    - E50 Output to BT21 box
    - Sky+ Video socket to BT21 box
    - PS2 to BT21 box

This will not give the ability to watch a DVD whilst recording (unless I do that on the PS2)...

Not sure if Sky+ will support WideScreen switching from the Video port either....

Any assistance on set-up would be appreciated....

Meanwhile, I need to wait for furniture to come in stock so I have enough shelves for the extra gear :)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Correct - there is no regional coding on home recorded disks.

The E50 WILL accept caddied or uncaddied DVD-RAM. It's just quite difficult to find caddied disks these days which, IMHO, is unfortunate as they offer so much extra protection to recordings. But Panasonic are pushing non-caddied ones because they are easier to play in other (compatible) machines.

AFAIK one is for input and one for output - I've never really tried it any other way.

One connection route would be (depending on your switch box):

S75 RGB Out > Switch Box > Av2 on the E50 and then AV1 > TV EXT1
    Sky TV Out > Switch Box > Av2 on the E50 and then AV1 > TV EXT1
    PS2 > TV EXT2
    Sky VCR Out > TV EXT3

This would enable you to copy DVD-RAMs to DVD-R (in RGB), record from Sky (in RGB), watch Sky (in composite) when dubbing from DVD-RAM to DVD-R and use your PS2 anytime. It wouldn't enable you to watch DVDs whilst recording from Sky though. You could always put your PS2 on the switchbox as well and output on the S75 using the S-Video socket to EXT2 on the TV.

Have a look at the reviews:

S35 here:
    http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbenc...v.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2991

S75 here:
    http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbenc...v.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2954

3. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the answer Rasczak...

Com on furniture :)