Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic E50 Playback Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nheather, Jan 25, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,782
    Hi,

I'm well aware that the Pany E50's is fussy when it comes to DVD-R media, but I continue to experience problems and am beginning to think it's been a player fault all the time.

The machine is abouth 15 months old so out of warranty.

At first I tried cheap disks and experienced immediate picture break up - disks stuck in the drive - system restores etc.

Panasonic did their usual "if you are not using 1x speed genuine Panasonic media then we're not interested - go away"

I then tried some Panasonic (1x), JVC (1x) and Datasafe Ritek G04 (2x and 4x) which seemed to be okay.

More recently I've been using Verbatum (4x) which again seem okay.

When I come to view recording that were made upto a year ago I find that a good percentage result in severe pixelation and breakup. They all play fine on other players and don't always have problems on the E50.

Also I should point out that not all recording were made on the E50 - some were done using my PC writer (LG), or recorded by friends.

Basically, I have no confidence in this machine any more.

Is anyone else experiencing similar?
    Is there any fix or maintenance that I could attempt?

Advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel

Is there anything

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Classic sign of media failure - start a backup policy NOW. See my guide on the subject. The simple fact is optical media doesn't necessarily have a long life span. It DOES fail and often much more quickly than you would expect. Make regular backups on different types of media!

My current backup strategy involves archiving on all of the following:
    - Sony DVD-R
    - Verbatim DVD-R
    - Scratchproof TDK DVD-R
    - Maxell DVD+R
    - Panasonic DVD-RAM
    ...and then after 18-24 months I burn the project again onto another DVD-R and DVD+R as well as conduct confidence checks on the existing copies. So far I haven't lost any data but I have had lots of discs fail.

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,782
    An interesting read and I don't doubt the reality behind it.

However, what I would question is the timescales.

If it is degradation of the dye, I am experiencing this after 6months (less in some cases) for well known brands. If recordable DVDs were only good for 6 months I think their would be a public outcry and the manufacturers would be forced to print warnings on their disks.

Also in my case this still doesn't address the fact that the disks (whatever brand - JVC, Panasonic, Verbatum, Safedisk) fail on my E50 but play without issue on every other player I have tried. So I can only conclude ...

(a) The drive in the Pany E50 is absolutely rubbish in general
    (b) I've got a 'Friday Afternoon' machine
    (c) My E50 needs some adjustment, cleaning or other maintenance

What do you guys think ?

Cheers,

Nigel

4. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    We have and E50 and and E55. Have only ever had the problems with cheap media such as Bulkpaq. Normaly use Ritek disks of various speeds and brands. Both burned on my computer with an Nec 3500 or on the machines themselves. Never had a disk go off if working ok afet recording. If disks play on other machines that were recoded on the Panasonic originally, then the problem must lie with the E50. Suspect laser alignment or cleaning at the very least. Try a laser cleaning disk and see if that helps, if not then perhaps get machine checked. However considering that repair costs can be high and I saw an E55 at John Lewis last week for £169 in their sale it may be worth considering a replacement.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    The quickest I have had a DVD-R fail on me was 6 weeks after being burnt. That was a branded Mirror disc. I have similar losses associated with a wide range of media: Verbatim, Mirror, Maxell as well as numerous 'unbranded' discs. By the same token I also have DVD-Rs written several years ago that are fine. It's essential to note though that well known brands don't necessarily guarantee anything in the longevity stakes. And remember - optical media such as DVD-R and DVD+R is for compatibility - NOT for long term archiving.

Certainly if your having problems with a wide range of media then you should look at wider causes although media storage can play a major part in how long your discs survive - do you keep them in cases, out of sunlight and in a relatively cool environment?

Failing that I would suggest your problem is C - and suggest you either invest in a compatible laser cleaner or get your machine serviced - especially if your E50 is in a dusty environment.