panasonic e50 or jvc drm1slb

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jacket, Dec 30, 2003.

1. jacket

jacket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please could anyone advise me which recorder is the best value for money,,, considering the jvc is only £50 more expensive than the panasonic ,but has more to offer in recording formats...........im new to this and your advice will be greatly appreciated ............thanks

2. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a JVC a few weeks ago and after telling my dad about it he then bought a Panny E50!

I generally only use rewritable media as I don't normally want to keep my recordings and I hate the idea of wasting discs if they can't be reused.

My requirement is basically a daily-use recorder, mostly just watch 'n wipe, plus I really liked timeslip & being able to watch a recording while recording another. So DVD-RAM was the way to go. But RAM is not a 'normal' DVD format, and I also wanted to be able to use a 'normal' rewritable format for compatibility.

So the reason I chose the JVC over the Panasonic was mainly because the JVC can also use DVD-RW rewritable media - I can lend recordings to friends without wasting a disc (with the E50 you'd have to use/waste a DVD-R).

3. jacket

jacket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply.........looks like 1 vote for the jvc, which i found very interesting.

it still `bugs` me though why there is such a rave about the e50,
    .....maybe its a reliability issue compared to the jvc.....or maybe its simply the price of the machine.....whatever it is i would appreciate anyones veiws.

thanks

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,031
    I bought an E50, then swapped it for the JVC, only to swap back to the E50 2 days later.

Reasons:
    - I found the JVC a pig to use. The panasonic is a doddle to use and much more logically laid out.

- The JVC doesn't have an RGB connection for recording from Sky.

- There is no S-Video or stereo audio IN on the back of the JVC.
    You have to use the sockets on the front or use a scart converter.
    If you're routing sources via an AV amplifier to the recorded, this is a pain in the neck.

- I didn't like the JVC styling, and it was 5mm wider than all the rest of my kit and therefore didn't fot in my AV rack.. Stupid!!

- I found the picture on the JVC to be a little over processed and preferred the more natural picture on the Panasonic.

- The Panasonoic played pre-recorded discs to a higher standard.

- The Panasonic was available multi-region, where the Toshiba was not.

For me, the Panasonic even without RW capablility was the better option.

5. Orac

Orac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should consider the compatibility issue. Both -RW and +RW media have a considerable percentage of incompatibility with existing players. As such, neither are solutions to the 'lend a friend' problem as could be done with VHS. Even -R (the most compatible) only plays on 96% of existing players.

I vote for the E50 because:

1 - 99% of the recordings I make will be played back by myself (so I might as well go for RAM)

2 - -R media is the cheapest, and will soon be so cheap as to be disposable.

3 - The E50 has a 'Panasonic' badge on it. JVC may have invented VHS, but Panasonic have yet to make a crap VCR. The same must surely be the case for DVD recorders.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,335
    Jules
    Did you also try a Toshiba ?

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,031
    No, I don't think the Toshiba was out at the time.

But I've had my Panasonic machine for quite a while now and I'm well chuffed with it.
    I don't even want RW compatability now as my PC drive reads RAM discs.
    I simply record everyting to RAM, then create nice animated menu's, edit amd re-burn on the PC to -R or -RW discs.

I get better results this way.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,031

But I've had my Panasonic machine for quite a while now and I'm well chuffed with it.
    I simply record everyting to RAM, then create nice animated menu's, edit amd re-burn on the PC to -R or -RW discs.

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,031

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,031
    mmm. don't know what happened there....the same reply appeared 3 times after hitting reply once!
    sorry!

11. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm awaiting delivery of the Tosh DR1...possibly Monday for £299.83 inc delivery from Digital Direct.

The reasons I went for that over the Panny (JVC was never in the race due to PQ and other reviews don't rate it) is it has firewire and most importantly for me progressive scan recordability is a bonus and I'll settle for S-Video in. I'm using a Tosh SD230 at the moment and the PQ on that is great.

I've nothing against the Panny...I talked my Dad into buying 1 last week and it's good. Even recording from the Sky VCR scart is far superior to VHS. (He'd never figure out how to use it with RGB in on AV1 so I left it on AV2)

Will post details of the Tosh once I've tried it out.

12. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd just like to add a few clarifications...

My "1 vote for the JVC" was not a vote as such. For me and the features I required, the JVC came out the winner. I didn't mention it also has progressive scan output which may be very handy for my next TV upgrade, plus it has camcorder DV-in, also handy, which the E50 doesn't have - need the E60 for that?

For someone else, the advantages that I see may not be relevant. If you do not care about -RW capability then there is no great reason to choose the JVC over the cheaper E50. Ignoring -RW writing (and the camcorder input and progressive scan, etc.) and considering the machines as pure DVD-RAM recorders you'd likely be saving around £50+ (?) by choosing the E50? In which case why spend the extra money? [In my opinion] they're of pretty equal quality and reliability, if anything I'd say Panasonic has the slightly 'better' name of the two.

Personally I do not find the JVC a pig to use. Different manufacturers each have their own way of doing things. Some things are better and some are worse than others. I wouldn't say the JVC is bad though - not like Toshiba ;) btw, I still have a Panasonic VCR, which I am very happy with.

The lack of RGB-in did niggle me a bit at first but it does not worry me any more as a friend tested RGB vs S-Video input on his E100 and he said you had to look really hard to spot the difference.

The styling could be an issue, it is a larger size than normal, sticking out a bit, but I have to say that I've gotten used to it now and didn't even think to mention it. I would say that the blue LED strip on the front is a bit overbearing if you're watching a movie in the dark but you can turn it off.

Personally I find the picture quality of the JVC to be excellent. It's certainly better at DVD playback than the Cyberhome player that is now moved into the bedroom. I've not compared it side by side with the E50 tho. Regarding PQ, I found it interesting that in the printed media, most I've read regard the JVC very highly in this respect and I've only read one bad review that moaned about the quality.

One final thing to mention... I believe JVC and Panasonic are both part of the same Matsu****a group? (hence JVC using Panasonic's -RAM technology).

13. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I too own a Panny VCR and am quite happy with it when I use it, which is not that often. I often get fed up with VHS PQ after being so used to DVD & Digital broadcasts.

I agree with krg that one persons needs may not meet the needs of another so people should buy to suit their own needs and not solely based on others opinions. Saying that we do still tend to go on press reviews.

I like Panasonic equipment but am not prepared to wait until they bring out a PS capable recorder in UK (the US market version of the E50 does :( )

Don't know about JVC (Japanese Victor Company) being part of Matsu....a group. Never heard that before....could be wrong though.

14. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Can you tell me how to do this ? All I've done so far is rename the RAM recs to vob files etc. Few authoring progs seem to support RAM editing etc

I've only just noticed the JVC model, why can't the Pan E50 have DVD-RW recording capabilities I wonder ?

15. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,031
    I use TMPG DVD Author as recommended by others on this forum.

There's an excellent sticky in this section of the forum that covers this whole subject very well in deed. I learned alot from it.

16. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Ahh yes I've used this but it you can't edit with it RAM files though. Maybe the latest version does yes ?

17. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,031
    Works fine with RAM files for me.
    I've got version 1.5.13.44.

18. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: