Panasonic E50 help needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jems, Apr 4, 2003.

1. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me with the following?
    I have set the e 50 up but the picture quality of sky when it is coming through it is a bit shimmery.

I have done the usual, checked that the scarts are in right, that everything is set to rgb, have followed the manual so am at a loss to know what's causing it.
    Perhaps someone with the e 30 which is simlar can advise?

Originally had the Philips 880 and the quality of Sky through that was excellent, although it had that many problems that it went back to Belgium and has never been seen since ( dont know if it got lost or self destructed itself ) so swapped it for the Panny!

This problem aside I love the features of this one and if i can find out what i am probably doing wrong i'll be well pleased.

jems

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The picture quality should be indistinguishable for the source so something is obviously wrong. Can you define a "bit shimmery"? Is it set to NTSC? Have you checked the Scart is connected to the TV out on the Digibox (which is the only socket that outputs RGB)? Have you tried a different Scart lead (QED are a good compromise between cost/performance IMHO)?

3. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's set to pal but i'll check the scarts.
    Thanks for the advice.
    jems

4. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scarts seem ok, both panny and sky are rgb as it flashes up on the tv to tell me that when i change channels between sky and dvd recorder. Digibox is set to rgb also.
    Hard to explain what i mean by shimmery, difficult for anyone to help me as they cant see it, i know
    The picture is a bit more grainy not quite so stable as if the signal is down ever so slighty and it is only slight and i am picky i know.

The scarts were ok with the Philips but perhaps they dont like the panny!

Any thoughts on what to try next would be appreciated from you or anyone else.

Thanks, jems.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Start with the basics - Ensure the Scart is definetly connected to the BOTTOM scart on the Sky unit (the TV Out which is the only one that gives an RGB signal). Next reset the Sky unit to composite and do the same with the Panny. Do you now have a proper picture (is it how it should appear)?

If it is then set the Sky unit to RGB. The picture should not look correct (as the DVD player is still set to composite). If the picture doesn't look right (as it should if you see what I mean) then switch the Panny to RGB mode. Note both AV1 and AV2 must BOTH be set to RGB (the unit cannot convert from RGB to anything else).

Also in Functions/Setup/Settings/AV1&2 Connections - Is your AV2 Connection set to NORMAL?

If you can try these and post when the system falls over we should be able to narrow down and solve the problem.

6. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just followed that to the letter and there is no change.
    I got my husband to look at the picture ( he's not normally interested in this sort of thing, it's me that is, just love anything electrical, must take after my Dad! ).

Anyway, by putting the digibox on the menu you can see the difference immediately, as the writing is not quite as clear, looks a bit like a slight heat haze! He sees it too so i know i am not imagining it.
    Cant think what's causing it.

jems

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I think I see the problem. When viewing the digibox MENU the image should look very bright and slightly blurry round the edges. You will find that the TV content is not effected in this way and you are, in fact, watching the best picture. You can reduce the brightness of the picture if it bothers you. Do some picture comparisons to be sure (i.e. loose the E50 and go straight to the TV) but if what I think your refer to as 'shimmering' is taken from the Sky digibox menus then that is not any indication of picture quality!

8. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the actual picture is down not just on the menus, i've only just looked at the menu when i was altering from rgb to pal earlier.
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

jems.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Well in that case there is certainly something wrong. Try resetting the machine to the shipping condition. Does that make any change? Try adjusting the 'Bright' level in the display menu (I think). Any difference?

10. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No difference, so tomorrow i'll take all the scarts and leads out and see what happens when i introduce them back again.
    I might be getting interferance because there is such a tangled mess now behind tv.
    I 'll let you know if i resolve it.

Cheers.

jems

11. Ragnar1976

Ragnar1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you sure your scart leads are RGB enabled, some of the cheap ones don't have the wiring to transmit the RGB signal.
    This would cause the composite signal to be seen, & as such the shimmering & less than brilliant picture.

12. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the scarts are rgb enabled and it's the same ones that i used with the Philips and the picture was excellent.

I'll have a better look later.
    Thanks for the help, I'll probably get back to you later when im tearing my hair out!! It will be something so stupid no doubt knowing me.
    I tried to get a cp2 working a few weeks ago and was getting annoyed with it till i realised i had not switched the damn thing on at the plug!!!!! lol

And yes before you say it the plug was in this time.

jems

13. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had another look at it, was banned earlier as family want to watch tv.

Still cant fathom it out. One question, when you press the imput on the panny remote do you get a picture coming through av2 as i am not. On av1 i am getting normal tv coming through it and on av2 i expected to get sky but i am getting sound but no picture. Thinking that the scart was loose i have checked that and it seems ok.

jems

14. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,232
    Are you sure you have set AV2 to RGB input on the DMRE50 ?

And that you have set Sky to output RGB also remembering you need to use the TV out on the SKY box as the video out scart only carries composite !!

15. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carlos, It's a Philips tv with 4 scarts, av1 and av2 are rgb enabled. I've got a Panny dvd recorder connected. Sorry if i didnt make it clear.

Thanks anyway.

jems

16. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,232
    I edited my post, Must of been after you read it !

Is your Sky box connected directly to the TV or through the DMRE50 ?

17. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did'nt see the edited post! Could'nt get on the computer for ages.

Perhaps if i tell you what equipment i have got and what i have tried and how it is connected now, it might be more helpful.

tv= 4 scarts 2 of which are rgb, being av1 and av2, dvd recorder= 2 scarts, vcr=2 scarts, digibox= 2 scarts only one being rgb the one that says tv.
    You probably already know all this but this is for the benefit of others who might get this problem.

I have set digibox to rgb on menu. Settings on tv were av1= rgb, av2=rgb.

Scarts go like this,

tv av1 rgb > dvd recorder av1
    tv av2 rgb > digibox tv scart
    tv av3 > vcr composite
    tv av4 spare

dvd recorder av2 > digibox marked vcr scart. this is composite i know, but this is why i could not get a picture at first through av2 as the tv was set to rgb on av2. So i changed the tv setting to av2 = video and i can now get a picture through av2 but it must be in composite only?

Of course i may be expecting too much!

I dont know if all this is correct or not, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    jems

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    You need to connect TV (RGB) on the Sky box, to av2 on your dvd recorder, this will then allow sky to loop through your dvd recorder in RGB and also record from sky in RGB.
    This is how I used to loop Sky (RGB) through my old Sony dvd player.

19. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95

I had the same problem when I first hooked up my E30, it turned out for some reason to be the scart cable, I changed it for another and the shimering went away instantly.

Mind you it was a cheap scart, it worked fine with the VHS set up, but the panny didn't like it.:laugh:

20. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just tried that Tim and you can record sky in rgb but if you want to watch sky on your tv and record a terrestrial programme sky comes through as composite. I have checked the settings on the recorder and made sure that av1 and av2 are set to rgb but i suspect that because the bottom scart on the digibox is only rgb out it wont do it.

from what i can see i have 2 choices. Watch sky through tv in rgb and record in composite or be able to record sky in rgb and watch it through tv in composite.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me and if you or anyone else can think of anything else i would be grateful. Also tell me if i am going wrong somewhere, because sometimes the obvious is staring you in the face and you cant see it yourself!!

jems

21. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,232
    Can`t really think of anything else, Other than maybe using a high quality scart splitter so you can output the RGB signal from the Sky box to both recorder and TV ?

22. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is correct

your sky digibox has two scarts VCR, TV

only TV is RGB Out as VCRs do not do RGB. Sky obviously didn't consider DVDRs when thinking about the second scart

Personally I would think you are better off recording in RGB and when you are recording watch sky via the VCR scart (composite)

Alternatively, get sky+ to handle your day to day recording

23. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argos sell a very good RGB scart splitter for less than £10

but this would mean manually switching

A remote RGB scart splitter would cost a fair bit more

24. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all of you for helping. Looks like i will have to get a scart splitter for the time being.

I would love to get sky + especially as my husband is changing his job to shifts, that would be really handy. Think i may have to wait a while though.

On another note just to confirm that the cp2 from Lektropacks does work on the e 50, good job as i have loads of vhs that i want to transfer to dvd! Just got to find some dvd -r now that work well, but that's another matter!

:)

Cheers

jems

25. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had the CP2 it was very hit and miss

I had to send it back and they said it wasn't ideally suited for the panny models

it also doesn't allow an RGB signal to pass through which of course is not a problem if it is just VHS you wish to back up

26. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt realise that bobbles, have not tried it with dvd but the main purpose for me is to back up loads of disney videos etc onto dvd and this works ok up to now.

Thanks for letting me know about dvds, it's not something i do very often but worth bearing in mind.

I'll have a play with that later.

By the way i have scarts as suggested, rgb for recording and composite for viewing until i can get a switch box. Is the automatic one from lektropacks any good do you know?

Cheers

jems

27. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may find that the CP2 is very player dependant when backing up dvds. I have the CP2 scart version and it works every time if I use my old proline as the dvd player but if I try to play out from my RA-82 the E-30 displays the copy prohibited message. Probably the proline doesn't send the cgms flag where the RA-82 does.
    Regards
    Paul.

28. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would set it up in the following way

Sky digibox TV Scart (RGB) -> DVDR AV2 (RGB) -> DVDR AV1 (RGB) -> TV AV1 (RGB)

This will allow you to watch sky in RGB whether or not the DVDR is on. However, if you are recording a terrestrial channel

then you need to watch sky using the set up below

sky VCR Scart (not RGB) -> TV AV2

depending on your TV AV2 may not even allow an RGB signal

I have no idea what the auto switching scart box is like

29. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fuelcrusher

I have the toshiba 210e so when i can check it out with copying dvds i will.

Cheers
    jems

30. jems

jems
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobbles

That's exactly how i have it set up now.
    Luckily av2 on the tv is also rgb.

Cheers

jems;)