Panasonic E50 first opinions and some questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andrewtayloruk, Sep 29, 2003.

1. andrewtayloruk

andrewtayloruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well I took the plunge on Saturday. I'd been wanting to get a HS2 but I couldnt' find one under £700 without going mail-order (normally I would do this but I wanted one straight away). I could get an E50 for £279 and they had stock so I thought what the hell.

It was a nightmare working out which scarts to use but I think I've finally sorted it out ->

connect the sky box to the second tv scart and second panasonic scart. Then a scart from the panasonic to the TV. I didn't bother running the aerial in to the panasonic because i don't get very good reception anyway.

This way I can use the program planner on the sky box and have it trigger a record on the panasonic, although I seem to have forsaken the widescreen switching on my TV.

I recorded quite a bit over the weekend just playing about it with and I noticed that when using the program planner it seems to miss the first couple of seconds / minutes because the DVD takes quiet a while to get ready for recording once switched on.

The quality is fine even in 6hr mode.

The remote is a bit finicky, it wants to have perfect line of site with the receiver.

It seems quite slow in operation from pressing a button to getting response on screen (however this could be attributed to the point above)

MP3 playback works great although not something that interests me.

I haven't done videoplus yet but I might try that tonight.

No electrical digital output only optical so I need a new cable to connect up my 5.1

Overall I'm very pleased. On to my questions -

Where's the best place to buy double-sided RAM disks.
    Is my setup correct - Should I have lost the auto-switching for widescreen?
    Is videoplus reliable at getting start times.

Any other comments?

Thanks

Andrew

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Is this the program planner on normal Sky? I am assuming this is not sky+ as you would not need the recorder.

Do you find the personal planner to be reliable? I ask because mine is not, I am lucky if it switches channel on the correct day let alone at the correct time.:rolleyes:

With respect to the remote operation you could try new batteries (the ones supplied are probably dirt cheap).

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try avland they have the Panasonic LM-AD240 9.4GB Double Sided DVD-RAM Disc @ £9

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    It does seem to take a whilefor the RAM to be recognised before recording. Therefore put it in the recorder at least a minute before recording.

Most Panasonic/Technics stuff has only digtal optical out.

The videoplus will only work when you connect the arial and record analogue TV.

The recorder will accept a RGB in signal on AV2. That is where I have my Freeview box and record in RGB straight off it. Make sure you have RGB if possible on the output to the TV.

I am sticking with 3 hours on a disc at the moment (4 episodes of stargate/enterprise etc).

You may want to look here for media - http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk/

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i bought one on friday from RS (£249 sorry!) anyway, i got the persnal planner to work without any problems on saturday night while i was out. the only problem i have with this is that when i select EXT LINK 1 in the setup menu and save the setting - the next time i press the the functions button i get a god awful noise through the speakers (any ideas anyone?) - if i select decoder it works fine but then the PP wont work.

Very impressed with the machine but i'm only recording in XP SP modes found that my tosh 36 inch showed up every flaw in the image in those modes but the top 2 are like watching sky. indeed i used time slip with my wife in the room and she didn't even know we we were not watching it "live".

nice machine and at that price its a bargain!!!

Gary

6. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely when you setup the videoplus all you would need to do was change say BBC1 to AV2 (or whatever your digi is set to) and make sure your sky/digibox is on the correct channel and it should record the programme fine.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I suppose you can do that. When I want to record from AV2, such as Stargate last night at 2.10am. I just use the normal timer and put a five extra minutes at the beginning and the end. This was worth it as the episode was four minutes late.

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What happens when you need to record several programs on different channels?

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I can use the timer on the Philips freeview box to record different channels. Its not something I do often.

10. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Glad to hear you like your e50.
    I bought my e50 about 3-4 weeks back and i love it:) .

I bought some double sided caddied 9.4 discs from avland and was happy with the service I recieved.

Drphibes