Panasonic E50 - fault solution sought!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LaurenceUK, Nov 8, 2005.

1. LaurenceUK

LaurenceUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have a Panasonic E-50 that I bought about a year and a half ago. I have a number of discs recorded on DVD-R and a smaller number on DVD-RAM. Recently, a fault seems to have developed. I am not sure if it is the machine (likely) or disc problems. I need to know if this is an easily fixable fault.

I noticed recently that some DVD-R discs I play back, there are a few seconds here and there where the picture partially breaks up into pixcels in parts of the screen, sometimes freezing for a few seconds (in extreme cases, stopping completely). This is something that only seems to have started recently. Surely the discs aren't wearing out already (worrying if so after such a short time)? They have been well kept, in the dark and carefully handled. I do not think it's the discs as if I re-insert the disc, the pixcellation seems to occur at a different point in the recording. I've tried a lens cleaner, which has made some marginal improvement but not significant. I have also tried playing the discs on another player, which just displays pixcellations at different points on the recordings!

The other problem that has started even more recently is that with RAM discs, I am finding that I record, say, an hour on a 2 hr disc and then the machine won't let me either record on the rest of the disc, erase the first recording on even switch on / off the disc protection. If I try to do one of these, the pattern is the same: the display reads error and goes to shut down. It then swiyches on in recovery mode, then says "unformat". Then it tells me to check the disc. It can't be ALL the discs at dault though as they have played fine till now.

This is a very long-winded explanation of the faults but I wanted to be clear. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I am tearing my hair out in frustration!

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,509
    That would sound like a problem with the recorder as far as I can see. Have you got another DVD player where you can try the DVD-R discs to see if you get the playback problems on there ?

3. LaurenceUK

LaurenceUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, as I mentioned above, i've played the discs in another player (only) and the pixcellation occurs to differing degrees and at usually different points in the recordings if they occur. Is it normal for a machine to wear out just after a year and a half? Seems pretty quick to me.

Any other comments / suggestions appreciated.

4. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smoking or non-smoking? lens cleaners do a good job of removing dust as it usually settles on the top of the lens but smoke clings to the underside of the lens too and isn't touched by the cleaner.

I personally dont like lens cleaners as I have seen them knock off a small rubber trim on the lens that fouls it's movement. If you're confident with a screwdriver maybe worth checking if its in place & giving the lens a proper clean with a cottonbud.

5. LaurenceUK

LaurenceUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Is this likely to cure (or reduce the problem)? Sounds highly technical. I know the manuals stress not to open the casing (because of lasers etc); I wouldn't know what the lens looked like though. I am willing to try something as this problem is driving me crazy.

6. LaurenceUK

LaurenceUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.S. Non smoking although the living area is open plan and smoke from cooking may have an effect(?) Is this likely the cause? Have you seen this occur before in this way?

7. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose cooking could affect it but I think you'd have to be a very bad Jamie Oliver & burn everything you cooked.

Its a cig smoke thing. The nicotine settles on both sides of the lens & is impossible to clean, basically dies of passive smoking.

8. paddy2

paddy2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Illustrator,
    When you clean the dvd lens,can you use any liquid cleaner,or does it only require a dry cotton bud.I have in the past always cleaned my video heads by removing the cover and cleaning them with meths,but I have always been told not to do this on a dvd lens.
    John.

9. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some lenses are coated & meths could remove it I suppose but I've never heard of it. Meths does leave a residue behind maybe that why its not a good idea to use it.

I've always used Ultrasolve (ULS) from Electrolube available from Farnell (www.farnell.com) or CPC (www.cpc.co.uk)