1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E50 connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Reepicheep, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Reepicheep

Reepicheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I am getting a Panasonic E50 DVDR (my Xmas pressie to myself), and I'd like to know your views on connecting into my current equipment setup:

TV - Panasonic 28" Widescreen with 2 SCARTs (1 x RGB)
    VCR - Panasonic with 2 SCARTs
    DVD Player - Scan SC2000 with 2 SCARTs
    SKY Digibox

I would like to record from SKY (RGB) and also record from the VCR (to archive some of my old videos) - eventually once I've copied all my videos this will be scrapped. I would also want to keep my existing Scan DVD player in the loop because it's multiregion and I want to be able to watch DVDs while recording on the E50 from Sky.

Is there a simple way to connect everything with the existing SCARTs, or would a SCART switch box be a better option?

Thanks for your help.

2. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same setup as you and I haven't got the video connected up. I was thinking that a scart switch box is the way to go, unless I want to unplug the DVD player and plug that scart into the VCR every time I want to archive stuff. Not decided yet, too busy playing with my new recorder!

Regards

Dude

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. Just a piece of advise. If you are thinking of also scrapping your VHS recordings along with the VHS recorder I would strongly advise you also first make DVD-R back ups of your VCR tapes. Each backup being on a different brand or type of DVD-R media.

DVD-R discs are not protected like tape and an accident could befall any of them rendering them unplayable. Also at this stage of the game no one knows for sure as to the "Longevity" of DVD-R recording. There have been reports of some cheap DVD-R media failing after a very short time span indeed.

4. Reepicheep

Reepicheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for that advise Malcolm. I don't think I will scrap my VHS recordings (mostly pre-recorded movies). I will probably end up moving the VCR into our bedroom and storing the VHS tapes there. That will free up a bit of space for DVDs down stairs :)

To be honest since we got a DVD player we haven't watched any of or old VHS recordings, and the VCR only gets used for recording stuff that we will miss if we go out or if something is on another channel - hence I think we the DVD-RAM will get the most use :)