Panasonic E50 Connection Problem

rowbos

Established Member
Reaction score
I have got problems with my setup which is currently configured as follows...

NTL Digital AV1 (TV) output to TV AV1 RGB input.

DVD AV1 output to TV AV4 RGB input.

NTL Digital AV2 output to DVD AV2 connection.

DVD AV1 and AV2 set to RGB and AV2 mode set to decoder, input select on the DVD set to A2 (if I select A1 then I just seem to get the inbuilt tuner rather than AV input).

The problem is that I can watch NTL Digital via my AV1 input on the TV, I can watch pre-recorded DVDs via AV4 input on the TV, but when I record - or just select AV4 on the TV without pressing play - ie I am connected to the DVD and can navigate the menus etc - I do not get my NTL digital picture to watch/record...

Edit - No picture - But I do get sound?

I used to have NTL daisy chained via the DVD to the TV AV1 input - which all worked fine - but it had the problem that I could not record anything off either terrestrial or digital sources without watching the same program.

Probably something really stupid but its late and I need some help!

Thanks,

Steve.

Thinking about this - is the video output on the NTL box composite rather that RGB - which would explain the problem I guess?

Originally posted by rowbos
Thinking about this - is the video output on the NTL box composite rather that RGB - which would explain the problem I guess?

On my NTL box you can choose between composite and rgb.

I can on mine for as well - but it is a general setting - and I just wondered if it referred to AV1 only (the TV connector), or to both?

Guess I can try it tonight and plug my DVD through the NTL box to see if it passes through RGB?

My NTL box (not sure what model number) outputs RGB only through AV1. AV2 output is composite only so that you cannot record to the Panny in RGB which is a shame. Quality seems quite good all the same though.

Originally posted by sirjohnofbalham
My NTL box (not sure what model number) outputs RGB only through AV1. AV2 output is composite only so that you cannot record to the Panny in RGB which is a shame. Quality seems quite good all the same though.

You can record RGB from NTL by connecting AV1 from the digi box to AV2 on the recorder but with some side affects, one of these being that when the recorder switches on from timer mode the tv will switch over to the recorder/digi box AV channel, then you have to switch the tv back to what you were previously watching, and it's similar when it switches off again, recorder switches off but leaves the channel that has been chosen via the digi box on screen. I guess if you disabled the scart control on the digi box it may solve the above problems, but then you would have to manually select the digi boxes AV channel for normal viewing.

With the above connected in that way you can still watch the digi box via RGB via the loop through on the recorder when it's not in use.

Recording RGB signals - Connections should be:

E50 menu:

AV1 Output RGB
AV2 Input RGB
AV2 Connection Normal

This is pretty much how I was connected before and wanted to get away from the problems...

On my TV at least, if I record anything - I have to watch that channel!

Even if I record from terrestrial, then I cant watch NTL on AV1 on the TV - the DVD takes over, which is pretty crap.

Hence trying to connect to two seperate scarts on the TV - which works fine for viewing TV (NTL) and DVD, but just cant record any pictures - only sound!

Any other input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve.

THe machine only records sound if the wrong video mode is sent. Ie if you have it set to rgb and video is sent or vice versa. You must ensure that the source is correctly chosen.
I have mine set up to receive rgb from the digibox tv out. I connect the second out to the tv via an alternate scart and accept that I will have to view this in video mode only. Indeed I get patterning inteference as well, but it is still worth it to allow me still to view sky whilst recording from analogue say in the recorder, for a routine prog that I want to wathc and delete rather than archive.

Sounds like you need a better tv!

Nothing wrong with my TV, brand new Pannasonic PS12, 3 scarts, two of which are RGB.

AV1 = NTL in, RGB which works well

AV4 = DVD in, RGB which works well

The problem is that the video output (AV2) from the NTL box appears to be in composite - if I switch the AV2 input on the DVD to Video rather than RGB I get picture and sound.

Hence my earlier question regarding the type of output from an NTL AV2 connection!

I want to use the AV2 output on the NTL box as I would like to seperate the TV viewing RGB input from the DVD RGB viewing input again for the reasons stated earlier.

So does anyone know if and how you can get an RGB output from an NTL STB AV2?

Thanks,

Steve.

Just connected from AV1 RGB on STB to AV1 on DVD, then AV2 on DVD to AV1 on TV.

This works ok and in RGB.

Then connected AV2 on STB directly to AV4 on TV.

This works in composite video and gives me a seperate input to TV.

So its kind of working - but the NTL box only outputs composite from its AV2 scart.

So the question still stands - is there any way of making the AV2 socket on the NTL STB output in RGB?

Steve.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom