1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E50 - Can't read my own RAM disc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cosmo, May 10, 2005.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dad's DMR-E50 is 14 months old and has just started acting up. It can play pre recorded DVDs OK but cannot access the RAM disc - he has only ever used one disc for timeshift recording. He took machine and disc into the shop where he bought it and they found that his RAM disc was playable on other machines. I think it now cannot access any RAM disc that is tried.

The waranty is out of date and the shop's repair estimate was £260 :eek: for replacement of the "RAM drive unit". Has anyone else seen a failure of this type and is the shop extracting the urine with such a repair quote? It would obviously be cheaper to buy a new machine but 14 months is too often to be shelling out for a new DVD recorder.

Are there any user diagnostics that can be run to confirm the prognosis?

Cosmo

2. happyhooker

happyhooker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my E50; error messages such as 'unformat' were also appearing. I was fortunate in that I bought it from Richer Sounds and took out their extended warranty. They determined it was uneconomical to repair which ties in with your experience. They replaced it with an E55 and restarted the clock on the warranty - great service and the best £20 (that's all the warranty cost) I've spent in a while. Still dissapointing that the machine gave up after 18 months though.

3. oldjohn

oldjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It might be worth writing to Panasonic and telling them the details you've posted here, I did that with a Beko TV which went wrong after 26 months,they sent me the part free as a gesture of goodwill,all I had to pay for was the labour costs to replace the part. Saved me nearly a £100 and the TV is still going strong.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get a real address to write to Panasonic? Their web site is particulary coy about anything other than an email or phone enquiry and I'd prefer to get a written reply from them.

I must admit that I have had previous good service from them myself. A VCR fixed after 4 years (but still under warranty) and a camera that stopped working (dropped in river ;) ) repaired for free.