Panasonic E50 and re-writeable disks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sceptic, Oct 29, 2003.

1. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I’m on the verge of getting a Panasonic E50 and have a few questions.
    At the moment I record from Sky to VHS for my son who doesn’t have Sky. My Toshiba TV has 3 scarts that are currently used for VHS, Sky, and DVD player.
    I want to be able to record on re-writeable disks so that they play on his Toshiba DVD player. Can the Panasonic E50 do this?
    If it cannot do this is it possible to record to RAM and then copy to VHS, bearing in mind that I haven’t any spare Scart sockets.
    In addition can it record from DVD to DVD?
    Or is a different DVD recorder the solution although I’m very impressed by the reviews of the Panasonic E50?
    Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    No - the re-writeable media the E50 writes to is DVD-RAM which comes with lots of features (i.e. Timeslip, editting) but minimal compatibility.

It's perfectly possible to connect the E50 directly up to a VCR for copying your recordings. The fact you have no spare scart sockets on your TV is irrelevant - you can just hook up your E50 and VCR using whatever spare connections they have.

You'll probably change your setup slightly if/when you get the E50 anyway:

Sky TV Out > AV2 on the E50 and then AV1 > TV EXT1

Sky VCR Out > VCR > TV EXT 2

E50 AV3 > VCR (for DVD to VHS copying)

No - copy protection affects this. You could do this on any unprotected DVDs (i.e. your own DVD-Rs) but not very many commercial ones.

At the E50 price range the only other models are the Philips DVD+RW machines. These will make recordings that will (probably) play on your sons machine but lacks all the features that the E50 has.

3. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks Rasczak :smashin:
    That's told me exactly what I wanted to know. I can imagine the VCR/Sky/TV/DVD causing me confusion though.
    Cheers