Panasonic E50 and DVDr problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amancalledchip, Aug 25, 2003.

1. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just tried to record to DVDR for the first time,
    I bunged the disc in , set the channel,pressed record and off it went.
    And away i went thinking all was well.

Only to come back to find nothing had happened.

Tried again, and it gave the illusion it was recording, for 32 seconds, then it shut down,said "bye" restarted said "recover" then back to show all relevant info in the display.

been having no probs with DVD RAM, recorded the F1 qualifying,and race all no probs.

Just tried to record Italian Job , so wanted to use DVDR.

Failed to record it.

Is this symptomatic of Incompatible media. I have Datawrite 4x Reds from SVP.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Yes it is. The way to detect this 'before' it screws up a recording is to enter a title on the disk. If you can successfully enter it the recording should be OK. Have a look through some of the posts on the forum and see what cheap media is recommended at the moment (or start a new DVD-R thread - we haven't had one for a while). I'm using up a rather large supply of Mirror disks at the moment with no probs.

3. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Many thanks for replying.

Guessed it was, just needed confirmation from a fellow e50 owner

Have ordererd up from SVP, 25 FWS 4x and , 25 Nan-ya 1-2x , and 2 traxdata.

Although the FWS do not list the E50 , they do list the E20,E30,HS2.The nanya list all of the players.

If these fail in the panasonic, they should work in the pioneer a05 in my PC.

What a pain this is.

BTW,
    is it possible to convert dvd-ram recordings to dvd videos to watch on any player.
    I have a toshiba 1612 in my PC and was gobsmacked to find it supported dvd-ram. bought it ages ago to supercide the 1202 i had.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    You could just have been unlucky with the disk - try a few more to see if they work. That said even different E50 have different drives so what works in one doesn't always work in another. Needless to say these issues only exist at the 'dirt cheap' end of the media market. I'm not sure what the 'going opinion' is on the FWS disks but you could just have been unlucky. Try the 'titling trick' to see if the other work.

Yes - infact quite a few people do it - see this post for details:
    {EDIT} Can't seem to link to the post for some reason :confused: Scroll down and look for a post entitled "Newbie Question"

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I tried Datawrite awhile back on my E20 and E30. Neither machine likes them and shuts down as you describe. I avoid them like the plague......:D . 18 months ago FWS was one of the most compatible discs I had ever used. until they messed up and used the Ritek formula. now they are off my shopping list as Ritek generaly don't work well for me. They record ok but on playback in the E20 they stutter like there is no tomorrow. Although about 20% of them play normal. Ritek may well work for you though so don't be put off trying them.

I believe FWS are now using an updated formula so I will be interested in knowing how you get on with your FWS discs....Malcom.

6. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Malcolm.

I will try all 3 types of media i have coming anyway ( FWS,Nanyo , and traxdata) and post my results.

To be totally honest though i think i will give the E50 and DVDr a miss.I have 13 DVD RAM discs so not as if its a major issue.
    TMPG dvd author does a fantastic job of making dvds from RAM.

Have a Toshiba 1612 that reads the DVD RAM , Pioneer A05 as the writer.

It really is a cracking bit of software

Steve

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Glad you seem to like it! I have to admit I'm using it more and more at the moment because, well, it's just SO easy!

I have just started to experiment adding MPEG background images. I'm using Ulead MovieFactory to compile them - can do things from just add a soundtrack to a still image to full blown, editted clips!

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have archived a lot of stuff onto dvd-r from the hard drive of my hs2. I find that you can be working through a stack of 25 or 50 blanks and then 2 or 3 in a row fail and the machine has to recover. On average about 1 in 6 does this. In most cases trying a second or a 3rd time will often get the media to work, although this is obviously no good if you are timer recording. If you look at failed media, it is often contaminated with dust, clean it off and it may well work ok.
    The tip above is good though as if it takes a title the media should work. The other thing you can do is use the day when setting up to record rather than the date, then the machine should keep trying to record even if the first and second attempts cause a crash.

I have found the red 4x datawrites among the most reliabe, so it must be just a matter of trying various brands and see which suits your machine the best.

9. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I too use this very useful tip. However I am afraid it only tells you the machine will record but does not ensure the recording will be ok!!!

I have had quite a few pass this test and yet produce a recording that will "freeze on play back". So faulty discs will get through this test.

The only sure way of knowing any recording is completely "healthy" is by watching it second by second minute by minute all the way through. And not be tempted to use fast forward as this will only skip past any problem area and give you the illusion all is ok.

It is time consuming but adopting this thorough test has saved me from losing some of my recordings forever.

10. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You can check the burnt disc on a pc with nero cd speed/transfer rate test.This test should tell you how good the data can be read from the dvd-r and which disk your recorder prefers!