Panasonic E30

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jem, Jan 4, 2003.

1. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just searched for the Pansonic E30 and read all the previous posts but can someone clarify a few things please. I was intending connecting it up to a Sky+ box.

1. Has anyone else connected it to a Sky+ box? I presume I can either record from Sky+ to the Pansonic via scart? This could be handy if I want to record from two Sky channels at once - how is the quality?

2. I've only one RGB scart on my TV. I know I can connect the Sky+ box to the E30 and then to the TV. Does this cause any problems with auto switching?

3. I'm sure I read on one of the posts that you could hire a DVD and then record it onto the E30. I can't figure this one out - do I need another DVD player?

4. Lastly, as I have quite a few of the features ( in my Sky+ box ) that to some people, make the E30 a better choice of recorder than the Philips, is it still the better recorder?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    To awnser some of your points and assuming the E30 works virtually the same as my HS2

You can connect the rgb output from sky to the recorder input, and the output goes to the tv, all in rgb.

However this causes some issues that can be a problem.

1) If the recorder is set up with the sky input set as "decoder" you can only record sky transmissions regardless of what channel you tell the recorder to record from. (Unless the sky box is put onto standby, which rather defeats the object if you wish to record an analog channel whilst watching sky) It does allow sky programs to be seen through the recorder on the tv all the time.
    Set the input to "normal" and the recorder will pass the sky signal normally, EXCEPT when it starts up and does a timer recording no signal passes to the tv.

I have set mine up as "normal", and have the second sky output daisy chained through my video to another non rgb tv scart. When a timer recording is in progress, I can view sky via the alternate input to the tv, although it is not rgb.

2) The recorded quality is indistinguishable from the sky output when a high quality recording mode is used.

3) By owning a sky+ box and purchasing the E30, you will have probably a slightly better set-up than the HS2 as you can then record 2 programs at once and can do multiple copies straight onto DVD-r.

4) If you wish to create a back up copy of one of your own DVD's,
    I believe there is a special scart cable connector that would permit this. Dont forget though that you loose the 5.1 or dts soundtrack, and all the special features on the original dvd.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Subjective of course but I would say so. I have the HS2 coupled with Sky+ and so don't really use the timeslip functions of the DVD Recorder. It's the Flexible Recording mode that wins for me - the precise bitrate for the length of the programme (giving best possible quality) has to be the way forward.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A few Panasonic related questions, tempting me depending on the answers.

1. Since you can connect Sky via RGB Scart, and have svideo out from the recorder... can you just connect this upto a projector input and "watch" Sky live? (basically giving you an RGB to svideo converter for free).

2. I've got both Sky and NTL, can both be input as RGB?
    also, looping back through either of the same Sky or NTL scarts then as inputs, I presume I can still get the recorder signal back to the TV?

3. how cheap are reliable DVD-Rs now? I know they were reasonably cheap but what are we talking about... 50p.. £1 each?

4. best combinations... a hs-2, or sky+ and an e-30?
    not often many clashes in programmes for me, plus I have both sky and ntl.
    dolby prologic II is also fine for sound so 5.1 sound isn't essential.

Rasczak, I notice you have both a hs-2 AND sky+ (which seems a little overkill).. could you survive with just an e-30 or do you really use the extra features (extra harddrive space for example) on the hs-2?
    I know you can stick bigger disks in the sky+ box so it seems of little use unless you do a lot of high speed dubbing from the hs-2 to dvd-r perhaps.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    No - if AV2 IN is set to RGB then AV1 must also be set to RGB. I have Sky+ connected via RGB to the HS2 then into a RGB to SVHS converter (purchased from Lektropacks) and then onto Quattro, VCR, TV etc.

Again the answer is no I afraid - you would need a switch box.

I buy most of mine from www.blankcdr.co.uk who stock a range of disks. I use the Mirror ones (£1.89 each) because I know these burn perfectly everytime. I tried some of the 58p ones - out of 30 I had 4 failures. That said this was on the E20 which I understand was alot 'fussier' about what media it took than the E30/HS2.

Yeah I have the HS2 and Sky+ (with a 120GB drive). However I need this because I work away from home (often for months at a time) and so have to rely on my parents to record things for me - Sky+ for long programmes, HS2 when Sky+ fills up and RAM disks (In XP mode) for short programmes. Each to their own but if I didn't need such large storage capacity then I probably wouldn't have Sky+ (as the HS2 performs this function). I survived quite happily with just the E20 prior to the arrival of the HS2.

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so whats the separate svideo output socket for?
    its listed on http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre30/index.htm

I thought using this would allow me to connect everything upto the e30 (or hs2), and output by the svideo socket to my projector...(and separately via scart to my TV too).

can you not use the panasonic recorders like a "tuner" then and watch them live without actually recording?

thought I'd seen this mentioned somewhere... perhaps the philips.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Yes you can watch things live without recording - it just won't do a conversion - if you input RGB you get an output of RGB. The S-Video output is if you input S-Video.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    What I stated above was wrong. Having checked the manual (in particular a supplementary sheet) and actually tried it on my unit it does do the conversion. Provided that AV2 Connection is set to 'Ext Link 1' you can output in RGB, S-Video or Composite from AV1 (and presumably the S-Video socket). Sorry about that!

9. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks rasczak...

thats slightly better.. at least handy with the scart doing the conversion.

I dont suppose this makes any difference with the separate svideo socket if you have the scart set to output svideo?

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the E30, Sky + and a TV with only 1 RGB scart socket so I'll go through my connections.

First thing I did was get a scart splitter box from Argos @ only £9.99 which allows up to 3 x RGB components to use 1 socket. The three sockets are named A, B and C with a further socket that hooks up to the TV/Display device.

1, From the TV's RGB socket to the TV Out of the scart splitter is a scart cable

2, The E30's "AV1" socket is hooked up to socket B on the scart splitter

3, Sky+ is hooked up to the "AV2" scart socket on the E30

4, DVD Player's RGB socket is hooked up to socket C on the splitter box

5, XBOX's RGB feed goes to socket A on the splitter box

6, My VCR is hooked up to the S-Video and L & R jacks (AV 4 on the E30)

I can confirm that the splitter box does not mean you lose out on some quality as I've done comparisons with it hooked up and not hooked up. Three buttons above the A, B and C sockets on the splitter box decide which component is viewed on my TV. Switch B is in most use as it feeds Sky+ and the E30 when I use it. Normal scart functions like widescreen detecting still work fine with the scart splitter box.

With the E30 in standby Sky+ is displayed on my TV, when i switch the E30 on the TV displays whatever the E30's channel is switched on to, for Sky+ this is AV2 and for my VCR it's AV4. In the near future I'm going to buy a Quattro+ scart splitter as it's far more advanced and has a remote control so no more getting up to switch the scart splitter from Sky to Xbox to DVD etc.

I know I'm not the only person who has a TV with only 1 RGB capable scart socket so if you're in a fix I highly reccomend the splitter box from Argos. If anyone wants more info just say the word, I can take some piccies too if that'll help ease the confusion that is my setup :)

Phil