Panasonic E30 & Tivo owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alex f, Jan 3, 2003.

1. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone with an E30 and Tivo know if I could record a home video to the E30 Ram, edit it and then send it to the Tivo hard drive and then play it back to the E30 and burn it onto DVD-R?

I have a brand new Tivo on order and it has just arrived and I only want to collect/buy it if the above can be done.

Many thanks for your help.

alex

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Yes you can send an RGB analogue signal thru the tivos scart socket and record it as a manual recording onto the HD ...

3. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jont.
    I'm getting to the point of not being able to justify this much av kit to the missus..........anyway must go get a Tivo.....

4. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alex f,
    I have been doing what you describe, see my layout attachment.
    I placed my E-30 inbetween the sky box and tivo so that I could record from either without having to mess with cables. To record back from tivo to E-30 you just need to make sure the sky box is off and the E-30 input is set on Video not RGB.
    To be honest though this method is not the best as the Tivo recording quality is not a patch on the E-30, so expect loss. This is why I've recently bought an RA-82 player to play back edited ram discs to my E-30, works much better and retains quality.

Paul.

Attached Files:

5. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good Paul but I can't afford anything more than the Tivo (£145 brand new). This is all going through a plasma (with no scart inputs, just rgb to vga) so high quality is prefered.

Is tivo that bad? My video is!! Everything else in my system is giving an excellent picture. I have my very last chance to buy a brand new tivo tomorrow so I need the advise please.

Many thanks

Alex

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    The picture from the tivo should be significantly better than your video ... if you are just using the tivo as adump disc from the e30 then you can use the 'best' quality ... it will suffer some loss due to going through a few dig/analogue/compressions but should be more than acceptable compared to 2nd or 3rd generation video ...

rgds

Jon

7. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alex,
    TiVo is still much better than video tape but in my eyes suffers from pixellation more than the E-30. For example on the E-30 the XP and SP settings are just about broadcast quality and as you lower the setting to LP and EP the quality worsens by the picture becoming softer and colours weaker. With the TiVo even on best quality the picture looks digital and as you lower the quality it worsens by the picture getting blocky, pixillating.
    When I have recorded from E-30 to TiVo there is a very noticable difference. When I have recorded from TiVo to E-30 the picture looks identical.
    This may sound like I don't rate the TiVo but this is far from the truth, whereas I could live without it I wouldn't want to purely for the convienience it provides, and thats with it's manual recording feature as I don't subscribe. But if somethings on that I want to keep it goes on Ramdisc not Tivo.

Paul

8. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Paul & Jon,

I just want to record about 10min sections of home camcorder and edit it, tape to dvd that I could send to relatives and/or archive.
    No-one can play ram so it would have to go to dvdr, I could edit on the camcorder but its not that good which is why i thought the tivo would be best.

What do you think, worth getting or not for the above reason? I've only just got the other half over the shock of the rest of the system, all of it less than 6 months old so I'm pushing my luck with her as it is lol

Alex

9. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alex if this is the only reason you are buying the TiVo then I wouldn't bother and spend an extra £40 on an RA-82, this would give you much better quality results. The only downside to this method is the RA suffers a slight pause on edit points, so I either insert a static image or just a blank screen on my edit points or I make them seperate chapters.
    If you are not that fussed about retaining the best quality and think you may also use the Tivo as it was meant to be used, which is great and a reason to buy one in itself, then go with the TiVo.
    To be honest my advice would be to buy the TiVo and try it out, if you don't like then flog it as there is a strong second hand demand growing, if it suits then keep it. This was my intention but even though it didn't give me the quality I desired I've still kept it and bought the RA as well, so I understand the stress the other half can give :D

Paul

10. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for that info but I can't find any sites with the RA82 in English anywhere?

11. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine from www.be-direct.co.uk for £185 I believe it's the only panasonic player that supports dvd-ram apart from a few expensive portable units.

Paul