Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic E30 problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fuji, Jan 12, 2005.

1. fuji

fuji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have had the Panasonic E30 dvd recorder since June 2002, for the past couple of months though its been very unwell with the following symptoms, makes a mechanical jarring stuck mechanical noise as it tries to read discs, panny dvd ram discs in caddies and non caddies not being recognised, E11 messages, numerous 'recover' message when booting with discs inside the tray, failed time recordings.

Question is is it worth getting it repaired? wife thinks that it would be cost effective to get it repaired, but me thinks the money would be wisely used getting a E55 or better still the HD combi E85

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It would not be worth repairing unless it is a minor fault that you had the experience and confidence to do yourself(very unlikely)

It would, though, be worth aproaching the retailer as this was a relatively expensive bit of kit at the time and it could be argued under the Sale of Goods Act that only just over 30 months life is unreasonable, and look for them to repair it FOC or compensate you for loss of reasonable life expectancy, perhaps as a discount form a replacement machine.

3. fuji

fuji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice, yes, it was alot of money at the time, have got the E55 now, hardly any difference between the two apart apart from the price.

4. cryptfactor

cryptfactor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the E11 error too on my DMR-E20 but, only on some 'Mirror' branded discs from Poundland. Stopped using these now. Not sure about the E30, but early reports indicated problems with the E20 and unbranded discs. Never had any problems with original Panasonic discs (either -R or RAM) now reaonably priced. I did buy a couple of TDK RAM discs but when the recorder failed to format one of them I returned both for a refund.

As you too have discovered; it can be an expensive business being first with new technology. :cool:

5. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I had this problem with my E30 back in nov '02. As it was still under guarentee, I got the failed ram drive replaced. Well, lo and behold, it's happened again. So, taking kenfowlers advice, I have sent Panasonic the following e-mail:

Dear Sir/Madam.

I have a problem with my Panasonic DMR E30 EBS and I hope you can help me with it.

I bought this model DVD recorder on 1/12/2002 from Comet for a cost of £399.95. Within the 12 month guarantee (11/03), I had to have the drive unit (vxy1748?) replaced.
    Well, it has happened again. As I understand it, at the moment the unit and the replaced part are not covered. I would have to have it repaired and cover the cost myself.

As you can understand, I am not too happy about this. At the time of purchase, this was a relatively expensive piece of kit, and having only had it for 27 months in total and the actual part only being 14 Months old. It is not the kind of quality or life expectancy I was expecting from an established company such as Panasonic. I could understand something going wrong after 5-6 years or so, but for it to happen twice in 27 months is not what I would expect, and not just from a dvd recorder, from anything.

I still have the sales receipt and the advice note from yourselves for the repair. What I would like to see Panasonic do is repair or replace my unit because to be honest, it just isn't right that such problems have happened with it in such a short space of time.

Under the sales of goods act it could be argued that as the goods are only 27 months old this fault is unreasonable and as stated above I would like you to consider a free of charge repair or compensation for the loss of reasonable life expectancy.

I look forward to receiving your comments by return.

If you require copies of my documentation please let me know and I will forward these onto you by return.

Regards

I'll keep you informed as to what happens.

6. fbtools@tiscali

fbtools@tiscali
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i too have been having the same problem with my e30 which i paid comet 399.99 i wrote to them explaining that i felt although i had had the machine for some months i didnt think that it should of failed, as i really had not used it to record with there reply was as follows....
    Response - 02/03/2005 12:08 PM
    Dear Mr Smith

I was very concerned to learn of the problems that you have experienced regarding your faulty DVD recorder. Please let me say how sorry I am and thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

We take great pride in the products that we sell and our after-sales service. We want our customers to be completely happy with the items they buy from us, hence all the products we sell are covered by a manufacturers' guarantee. The length of the guarantee is usually sufficient for any technical problems with the product to materialise.

Comet will not charge you for repairs carried out under the guarantee period. However, if the manufacturers' guarantee or extended warranty on your product has expired, repairs are chargeable. Your DVD recorder has been working for 18 months, as this is the case we feel that it was of satisfactory quality when you purchased it and therefore will not repair it free of charge.

If you are unhappy with this, you will need to pay for the repairs, complete a claim form from our service department and return it to the service manager, giving your reasons why you feel you should not pay for the repair. The service manager will then make a decision based on the engineer's assessment of the problem. A member of our service team will then contact you to inform you of the manager's decision. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to give you a refund before the item has been repaired. When a claim form is received I can promise that a fair judgement will be made. This will depend on the fault, the age of the product and the parts needed to repair it.

I appreciate that this is not the response you are looking for and I apologise that I am unable to assist you any further in this matter.

Regards

Comet Customer Services

i think there must be a major problem with these machines as it seems to be the same fault. any ideas anyone

[Note from admin - the name of the person in Comet customer services has been removed by admin at her request]

7. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My only comment is that Comet :mad: :mad: are the biggest bunch of thieving **** on the planet, who consider that customer care ends when they have extracted your money from you.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Intresting. When the ram drive on my machine first went, comet told me I had to get in touch with Panasonic themselves to get it repaired. I for one do not regard 18 months as a sufficient length of time for an item to last before a fault appears.

9. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically, ConIt, er sorry, Comet, will say anything to get rid of you.
    Believe me, I've been there.

If the item is within 12 months old, it is up to them to either have it repaired; to replace it, or refund you.

Your contract is with them. Their taking your money and you taking the item is a form of contract.

If the item is less than 12 months old, the manufacturer have no direct obligation to you; in this instance, the manufacturer's only obligation is via Comet.

Once the item is over 12 months old, then, basically, ConIt wash their hands of you and then the issue is between you and the manufacturer.

10. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    That is not true, your contract is with comet and they have to supply goods under the sale of goods act which gives you rights long after the so called 12 months guarantee has expired. I had no trouble getting a camcorder replaced at Argos which was nearly 2 years old as it would not have been economic for them to try and fix it.

At the very least you are entitled to the proportional value of the replacement cost for the reasonable life you have not had. It is up to the supplier whether to give you this or arrange for its repair. The only real issue is what should be a reasonable life. For a tv 6 years may be reasonable for a quality product, a video might only be 2 years. At the end of the day you may have to threaten them with the small claims court. It is scandalous for them to say it is up to the manager to decide, after you have paid the costs of the repair, it is for them to investigate and propose a solution in accordance with the law, unless they can demonstrate that you have already had the full reasonable life from the product.

11. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I agree, I was talking mainly of my 'experience' as a Comet customer, rather than a direct application of the law.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's been 4 days since I e-mailed panasonic, i also used their site to complain, and no reply. I guess I'll pop a letter in the post tomorrow and see what happens.

Funny thing with my e-30, it WILL recognise my ram discs, and even let me erase them, but only after I have put a pre recorded disc in and let it play for a few seconds. I can manually record from there but not with the timer as that involves taking the machine off and then I'm back to square one.

13. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had a problem with a panasonic camcorder and i found Panasonic to be quite helpful. The machine was 2 1/2 years old and malfunctioning, the retailer (jones of oakwood) were less than helpful so i got the machine repaired by an authorised body then wrote to panasonic who promptly refunded me half of the repair costs. I'd be surprised if you dont hear from them. :rolleyes:

14. fbtools@tiscali

fbtools@tiscali
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in hope i tried the pre recorded dvd several times in my machine for firstly a few second then a couple of minutes but it made no difference, still comes up U11, i have just spoken to a tv/video repair man who unfortunetly does'nt touch dvd recorders told me it sounded more like a software problem in the machine, the lens isnt responding the way it should, and apparently phillips have the same problem and have extended there warranty on older machines

15. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like OPU, however, repairers are unable to replace the optical pickup, they actually have to replace the complete drive, which makes it a more costly repair, they dont have the factory alignment gear required for OPU replacement

16. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I sent a letter off to Panasonic, but no reply yet. But something strange has happened. My dvd recorder has started working properly again. It recognises all my ram discs and even works when I set the timer. Weird. very weird. Still gonna see what kind of responce I get from Panasonic, though.