1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic e30 and e50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amancalledchip, Apr 15, 2003.

1. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI.

I need to replace my video recorder , and a replacement for my Pioneer 444dvd.

i have seen the Panasonic e30 and e50 on Techtronics and other websites and was wondering how it compared against other dvd recorders.

I am "very" new to this area and am unsure about all the dvd-r/rw and dvd+r/rw and also dvd ram.

Dont want to buy somthing that will be obsolite when it arrives.

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-panasonic-dmr-e30-multi-region-dvd-player.html is one i am looking at.

I also do not understand what a "Techtronics Video Enhancer Scart Cable " is/ would do , and what is vcr mode about.

2. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The E50 replaced the E30, E30 was expensive to make for Panasonic, About the only real difference is that the E50 plays MP3's and the E30 does not. Out of the two go for the E50, This latest What Video Widescreen Entertainment has a review of the E50, Word of advice pick another supplier for your E50, As the E50 can be bought cheaper (even multi-region) elsewhere.

The Video Enhancer SCART cable is to defeat Macrovision, Which some DVD's have to prevent copying, I.e. if you plug DVD Player via SCART into the DVD recorder any DVD with Macrovision will be prevented in being copied but that is only one protection another is CGMS and that is something these Video Enhancer SCART cables won't do, And of course Copying DVD's is not exactly legal !!, If you can afford a DVD Recorder then buying original DVD's must not be a problem either !!!.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    You don't need to worry about this for a number of reasons:

1) All three formats can record onto write-once media that will play in the vast majority of DVD players. Therefore you will always be able to make compatible recordings.

2) All three formats have seperate PC/Mac applications meaning media will continue to be available for them. Thus you will never be in a situation where you can't by disks.

3) All three formats play DVD Videos like any other player.

There are also other factors: DVD Recordable formats will not have such a long life span as VHS. New high capacity solutions will replace the current crop of DVD Recorders within 5 years and until that time each backer of the various formats will continue to support their format. There will not be time for a format to 'die'.

Whatever DVD Recorders offer the best Home Recording currently available and, IMHO, well worth getting.

4. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for taking the time to explain.Its much appreciated.

Was up until the not so small hours of the morning and stumbled on another forum as i was having a few problems with rather silly replys to posts, but as i tried to point out i am new to this and lets face it , we all were at some stage!.Anyhow, someone has removed them.

Going to go for the E50 over at DVDplayers .(366 deliverd)

My Pioneer 444 came form Techtronics a while ago and they disable macro vision and make them multi region so i dont think one the the said scarts will be required if i indeed wanted to do that sort of thing.

Once again many thanks for your help.

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've just bought the Region 2 E50 for £350 delivered from PRC.

It's brilliant!

What Video Best Buy!

It as easy to use as a normal VHS video recorder,but with broadcast quality pics.It comes with one free DVD-RAM and has set top box control,which I'm sure the E30 hasn't.

:clap:

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it does

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you mean the E30 having set top box control,then great.I was only going by the pics off web sites and I couldn't see the Ext Link button.Is it behind the flap on the right and what else is behind there?

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    two flaps at the front on the left is composite and s-video inputs

on the right is skip forwards and back rec mode few others inc ext link

but it is also one of the options in the menu

I don't use it as i have no need with sky+