Panasonic DX902B Owners Thread Part 4

IMG_20200201_233420.jpg

This is Netflix sdr 1080p via chrome cast ultra and look at that picture!

Watching the super bowl and no banding no dse literally zero blur no vignetting, it is absolutely insane and I'm watching on the beeb in 1080i!!
My next TV if I even bother to upgrade either one will almost certainly be a Panasonic oled, if I can scrape the money together which is sadly unlikely on current circumstances.

Oh aesthetics wise it doesn't look bad, it's mainly the tilt - also if I think back maybe the feet were too far apart for the old TV stand. I much prefer central stands. Anyway, it matters not as it looks like in the coming weeks/months I'll be forced to do what I said i never would. . . .and mount above the fireplace :(

Mine on the a TV mount on the wall,that stand just to big and heavy,believe about the weight fell on my toes as i was putting in a cupboard Ouch :(:D.
But otherwise one of best TV i have owed :)

Settings for the TV?
Pro 1
All nonsense off except deblur which I've maxed out to no ill effect
And I like local dimming on max for both hdr and sdr, and that's it I think.
Oh and I have sharpness at 0.

Nice! Looks great. Default backlight too?

I have my ABC set to mid, ABC on max seems to cause obvious black level changes to my eyes. I also feel the picture is better from a picture quality standpoint with IFC off but I hate judder and jarring frames so set it to IFC on mid.

everything else is pretty much set to default.

Nice! Looks great. Default backlight too?

I have my ABC set to mid, ABC on max seems to cause obvious black level changes to my eyes. I also feel the picture is better from a picture quality standpoint with IFC off but I hate judder and jarring frames so set it to IFC on mid.

everything else is pretty much set to default.
Back-light for sdr is on 10, more than enough for winter at my place.

Watching the super bowl and no banding no dse literally zero blur no vignetting, it is absolutely insane and I'm watching on the beeb in 1080i!!
My next TV if I even bother to upgrade either one will almost certainly be a Panasonic oled, if I can scrape the money together which is sadly unlikely on current circumstances.

The 3 key reasons to buy an OLED to replace their DX (IMO):

1. Viewing angles
2. Zero tolerance approach to blooming / haloing.
3. Craving for that 0 cd/m2 black.

If the above doesn't bother you just stick with the DX. :)

View attachment 1253281
This is Netflix sdr 1080p via chrome cast ultra and look at that picture!
As you have a Netflix sub, i would highly recommend checking out Altered Carbon, Polar and El Camino on your 902. Altered Carbon especially showcases the strengths of this tv when it comes to providing extreme hdr impact. I actually found that show a tiny bit dull, but i ended up watching the whole series because I couldn't take my eyes off the screen!

As you have a Netflix sub, i would highly recommend checking out Altered Carbon, Polar and El Camino on your 902. Altered Carbon especially showcases the strengths of this tv when it comes to providing extreme hdr impact. I actually found that show a tiny bit dull, but i ended up watching the whole series because I couldn't take my eyes off the screen!
Already watched all those on oled but I'll give em squint and see how the 902 compares.

Back-light for sdr is on 10, more than enough for winter at my place.

wow! That’s fair enough, it’s all about room lighting/setup, if I had mine set to 10 I’d barely be able to make out anything, the set would look like a dim background light box.

enjoy though anyway!

wow! That’s fair enough, it’s all about room lighting/setup, if I had mine set to 10 I’d barely be able to make out anything, the set would look like a dim background light box.

enjoy though anyway!
You see my pics chap, it looks stunning.
Any higher than 10 in sdr and I think I'd go blind.

You see my pics chap, it looks stunning.
Any higher than 10 in sdr and I think I'd go blind.

Then you shouldn't have any issues with upgrading to an OLED lol. For DTV, it should be fine with low numbers. For BD, I have slightly higher numbers.

Well, re: my previous post regarding me fixing the issue I have had with my set since forever. It temporarily it did fix it but now I seem to be back to a dull, pretty lifeless picture. It’s like a combo of resolution (which makes it unfocused) and either a colour space conversion or a signal range issue for all sources, as it looks either washed out or overblown in saturation and this is with even default settings for picture modes.

The clarity just isn’t there and it’s like there is a mix match in settings somewhere in the chain, even with my amp removed from the equation it still presents itself when the source is directly connected to TV.

The only resolve is a factory reset but then after once or twice of turning on from stand by the issue becomes present. And I am unable to pin point the root of it.

anyway, for a laugh I’ve reset it this time and put it into to “shop mode” you can pretty much turn off all the demo material inthe menu anyway, just testing to see if it makes any difference and if the issue stems from “home” mode.

I am convinced something is broken somewhere in the chain but it has to be the TV.

i will likely go OLED next, I’m not sure it’ll be Panasonic though, have to see on that.

Last edited:
I think a lot of this is set dependent and/or if your more prone to notice artifacts (which a lot of people are)
Luckily I haven't noticed any haloing/blooming on my DX902 or it would have been moved on by now.
Me neither, since I had it pro calibrated by Jules a couple of years ago I have never looked back, dread the day it goes tits up!

Found a set in one of the returns outlets on ebay for just over £400 delivered. It was listed as C2 grade, major cosmetic damage, but fully working. I thought I'd risk it as it had 30 returns policy.

The set is near perfect, no scratches at all, minimal DSE, 1000 hours usage. Just gotta hope the 2 DXs I have now can see me through until the next big jump in tech. AI upscaling?

Found a set in one of the returns outlets on ebay for just over £400 delivered. It was listed as C2 grade, major cosmetic damage, but fully working. I thought I'd risk it as it had 30 returns policy.

The set is near perfect, no scratches at all, minimal DSE, 1000 hours usage. Just gotta hope the 2 DXs I have now can see me through until the next big jump in tech. AI upscaling?

So what's the major damage????
A bargain regardless.

So what's the major damage????
A bargain regardless.

No Damage that I've found. The "major cosmetic damage" is generic to the grading. It didn't come with a stand or original box, so maybe that was it.

It was sent out as a one man delivery too which seemed ridiculous. Had to listen for the van pulling in to make sure I got it inside in one piece. Delivery guy said he loaded it on the van himself thinking it was a bike!

My first DX was won on eBay for £536 and that was broken at home.

The current one was won on eBay for £475. Was an 180 miles round-trip for me which was covered by Quidco cashback. That trip was worth it as I was able to do a side-by-side of it with a Philips 804 2019 OLED and came out with a smiling face. :)

This is why I am almost done purchasing any new TVs as they drop like a stone in price an year or two down the line and in the past few years, there has been only minor advancements in overall PQ.

So it was you who pulled the trigger lol. Glad that it all ended well. :)

Hi there, please help. I'm looking at buying the Panasonic tx-58dx902b, as there is one for sale local to me. Does anyone know how to find out how many hours the tv has done? And how many hours would be acceptable? Next would be how to test for dead pixels, dark patches and a dirty screen? I'm also a big gamer and would like to now if this tv is any good for gaming e.g input lag. Your knowledge would be much appreciated, thank you :)

The FAQ in my signature had details on how to check the hours and recommended settings.
It's perfectly fine for input lag, plenty of gamers on here use it with no issue.
Standard full screen solid test patterns are an easy way to check the screen for defects. Good ones should have none of it when viewed from dead centre.

The FAQ in my signature had details on how to check the hours and recommended settings.
It's perfectly fine for input lag, plenty of gamers on here use it with no issue.
Standard full screen solid test patterns are an easy way to check the screen for defects. Good ones should have none of it when viewed from dead centre.
Thanks for your help

Hey folks, i think i need your advice for the DX900. But first: it is great to see such a good summary of information about the TV and discussions that lasts until now despite the fact that the TV is now nearly 4 years old.

I have this TV for 2 years now. And i would say i know the TV and the settings really well. And i do not really know if this bug was apparent right from the start.

To my problem: I have the occasional frame skips in 24Hz content with my Panasonic UB820 and with my HiMedia Q10 pro device via HDMI connection. The odd thing about this problem is that it is not reproducible at the same time point of the movie if you move back to the time point of the error.

What i have done so far: I have changed all cables (all cables were HDMI premium certified right at the start) and bought "better" ones. Two days ago i have done a reset on the DX900 to rule out any user error that depends on my settings.

What i know for now: I can minimize this behavior with IFC but it is most prominent if you have IFC completely set to "off".

Second: If i set my HiMedia Q10 Device to 1080p/24Hz NO frame skip occurs. If you change this to 4K/24Hz the same movie has frame skips.

Third: You have no frame skip if you play movies directly via USB from the TV and you have no frame skip via internal apps like Netflix and amazon.

Streaming with the UB820 mostly has the 3:2 pull-down issue which is not the problem i want to address here and the app is not outputting 24Hz.

Side note: Even yesterday with the BluRay "I Tonya" (played with my UB820 and it was a completely new and clean disc) my wife saw the frame skip during a panning scene of the movie. This happens with IFC to minimum and with "out of the box" settings after the TV reset. It is so weird because it happens so occasionally. After the first half of the whole movie, no frame skipping occurs until the end. What i want to test: Set the UB820 to output 1080p for normal Blurays.

And yes, i have this frame skips with HDR content as well. But i will do further tests. The first one hour of the movie "interstellar" had no issues at all.

So i ran out of ideas. I have read a lot about these things and i only found one interesting topic of a frame skip bug in Panasonic OLEDs with 24 Hz content. But i have no idea if that is also a problem for the DX900.

Best regards and thank you in advance for any recommendations

Vince'

It's sadly a feature we have to live with. It's something to do with the mismatch between 24fps and 23.976fps content. It's always skipping at a regular internal because of this but it's not always at an obvious point in a video. I've found it's quite hard to nail down what fps is being output and what the display is running at (although it always says 24fps). From my analysis 4K BluRays output at 23.976. I believe this is still an issue that persists with current Panasonic TVs too (and maybe others) from side comments I've seen on reviews.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom