Panasonic DX902B Owners Thread Part 4

Yup some content is just hard to deal with.

Gears of war 5 on an oled at the start in the pitch black dark scenes with a torch which illuminates areas was surreal on an oled.

On the 902b it looked great but nothing perfect like the oled. The brighter scenes had more punch but the honeycomb banding was prevalent on Pans and camera movement.

But as someone did allude to.. yeah the risk of burn in is horrible. I’ve ‘abused’ my 902b and yeah it looks pristine with no ir
Gaming on my oled is far superior than on the dx902, gaming is where the dimming/blooming shows its face, but in every day content, TV shows/films I very rarely see any blooming.

Gaming on my oled is far superior than on the dx902, gaming is where the dimming/blooming shows its face, but in every day content, TV shows/films I very rarely see any blooming.

Almost same here unless you are watching the films like Bad Times at El Royale which has some quite difficult scenes (mainly scenes with near blacks). When the characters walks past the rooms you can see quite significant haloing). As I said, 80% of the times, it's fine.

I do sometimes wonder in fald tvs whether they could just put more dimming zones around where black bars would be to make sure they are jet black and have an automatic dimming algorithm but I’m guessing it’s a bad idea for a reason my little brain can’t comprehend

Personally I think the TV does a fine job with light bleeding into black bars as long as ABC is set as Mid/Max. You almost forget that you are watching a LED-LCD TV :)

Personally I think the TV does a fine job with light bleeding into black bars as long as ABC is set as Mid/Max. You almost forget that you are watching a LED-LCD TV :)

Yeah its not bad by any means. Its the best I've seen on any TV until I had an OLED (for a short period of time before returning it as I want the 77'').

Its just really hard to forget those OLED blacks, especially if you've been very close to the screen and seen them literally merge into the black bezel and the image you're looking at look like its floating.

Yeah its not bad by any means. Its the best I've seen on any TV until I had an OLED (for a short period of time before returning it as I want the 77'').

Its just really hard to forget those OLED blacks, especially if you've been very close to the screen and seen them literally merge into the black bezel and the image you're looking at look like its floating.
I personally think oleds are too black if that makes sense, turn your lights off in your front room at midnight and nothing is pure black, the dx902 gives a more natural image than my panny oled.

I personally think oleds are too black if that makes sense, turn your lights off in your front room at midnight and nothing is pure black, the dx902 gives a more natural image than my panny oled.

How bigs ur panny oled?

Happy to trade 😂😂😂😂

I have the opposite experience; i never notice any of the backlight related issues when gaming, they are there of course, but i never pick up on them, whereas with films i always notice the dreaded backlight banding on panning shots.

Interesting to hear you mention Gears 5. That scene with the light illuminating the dark tunnel looks near identical on the 902 verses my oled. The dark is rendered above black on both sets, it's never completely black, even with the in game brightness set to 100. I actually found that scene more impactful on the DX due to the flashlight looking noticeably brighter, and i never registered any blooming (although i'm sure it's there)

In fact i rarely play games on my oled, as i find the hdr impact lessened on the majority of games i tested. Forza horizon 4 was eye opening for me; the hdr skies, which are the visual centerpiece of the game, looked significantly different on the oled; much, much dimmer, almost reminiscent of an sdr image (i assume that's the abl kicking in, as those skies are super bright and take up half the screen)

One thing i have noticed is the dimming on the 902 can be a bit too aggressive, sometimes rendering parts of the image as black when in fact they should be above black.
In the first Matrix film in hdr, near the beginning, Neo wakes up and is infront of his computer. It cuts to a shot where we see the back of his monitor, and on the DX the left side of the monitor is completely black, even with abc on min. This causes problems on my DX, as the black sort of flickers between complete black and splotchy grey patches.

I tested that scene on the oled, and the back of the monitor isn't black at all; not a hint of black to be seen. I think the oled is rendering that correctly, and the DX is being too aggressive with it's dimming.

In fact i use my oled almost as a reference monitor. If dark scenes look off on the DX, i compare it to the oled and make adjustments to see if i can match them up. Currently running the ub 820 player with system gamma +2 in the hdr optimiser menu, which has really helped with dark scenes on my DX; Neo's monitor is no longer black with that ugly flicker gone and looks closer to the oled, and the last half of Jurassic world fallen kingdom, which takes place in a dimly lit environment, looks much better now.

I have the opposite experience; i never notice any of the backlight related issues when gaming, they are there of course, but i never pick up on them, whereas with films i always notice the dreaded backlight banding on panning shots.

Interesting to hear you mention Gears 5. That scene with the light illuminating the dark tunnel looks near identical on the 902 verses my oled. The dark is rendered above black on both sets, it's never completely black, even with the in game brightness set to 100. I actually found that scene more impactful on the DX due to the flashlight looking noticeably brighter, and i never registered any blooming (although i'm sure it's there)

In fact i rarely play games on my oled, as i find the hdr impact lessened on the majority of games i tested. Forza horizon 4 was eye opening for me; the hdr skies, which are the visual centerpiece of the game, looked significantly different on the oled; much, much dimmer, almost reminiscent of an sdr image (i assume that's the abl kicking in, as those skies are super bright and take up half the screen)

One thing i have noticed is the dimming on the 902 can be a bit too aggressive, sometimes rendering parts of the image as black when in fact they should be above black.
In the first Matrix film in hdr, near the beginning, Neo wakes up and is infront of his computer. It cuts to a shot where we see the back of his monitor, and on the DX the left side of the monitor is completely black, even with abc on min. This causes problems on my DX, as the black sort of flickers between complete black and splotchy grey patches.

I tested that scene on the oled, and the back of the monitor isn't black at all; not a hint of black to be seen. I think the oled is rendering that correctly, and the DX is being too aggressive with it's dimming.

In fact i use my oled almost as a reference monitor. If dark scenes look off on the DX, i compare it to the oled and make adjustments to see if i can match them up. Currently running the ub 820 player with system gamma +2 in the hdr optimiser menu, which has really helped with dark scenes on my DX; Neo's monitor is no longer black with that ugly flicker gone and looks closer to the oled, and the last half of Jurassic world fallen kingdom, which takes place in a dimly lit environment, looks much better now.

When I compared the scene on my 902 to the oled, the halo from the torch and player moving about was very obvious (as I'd expect on any FALD TV).

On my OLED in the tunnel, it was black so I'm not sure why theres such a difference in all honesty unless we're referring to a different scene. Its near the start of the game, and its just all black with your torch on the gun. Then it collapses or something.

I'm sensitive to the backlight banding so can see it all the time. You're right that in games your eyes are normally focussed on something you're doing and tbh in gaming its totally tolerable.

But yeah. I like the DX902B but the way some people go about it, its as if its flawless and its just not. I like your assessment as it took into account the backlight banding which people like to pretend doesn't exist.

Its an awesome TV and its still relavant today. I'm happy I paid about £1.7k for it. Its made my life difficult in terms of upgrading for sure!

When I compared the scene on my 902 to the oled, the halo from the torch and player moving about was very obvious (as I'd expect on any FALD TV).

On my OLED in the tunnel, it was black so I'm not sure why theres such a difference in all honesty unless we're referring to a different scene. Its near the start of the game, and its just all black with your torch on the gun. Then it collapses or something.

I'm sensitive to the backlight banding so can see it all the time. You're right that in games your eyes are normally focussed on something you're doing and tbh in gaming its totally tolerable.

But yeah. I like the DX902B but the way some people go about it, its as if its flawless and its just not. I like your assessment as it took into account the backlight banding which people like to pretend doesn't exist.

Its an awesome TV and its still relavant today. I'm happy I paid about £1.7k for it. Its made my life difficult in terms of upgrading for sure!
I thought you were referencing the scene in the tunnel when you're attacked by a near endless wave of juvies, but i now know the scene your referring to, i'll check that later.

I do love my DX, it is capable of displaying absolutely stunning images. However, the backlight banding is really distracting. It's not a constant issue, but when it does crop up the picture quality goes from a 10 out of 10 to a 2 out of 10 for me. It's a shame, but i've learnt that that's the price you pay for the extreme hdr impact that only a 1000+ nit lcd can produce, and it's a price i'm willing to pay i guess. (Worth noting that i rarely, if ever see issues with sdr content, so for people who don't watch much hdr, this tv probably does seem nearly flawless)

The ultimate tv would be one with the precision of an oled and the brightness of an lcd. I have heard of a micro-led that has 10000 dimming zones?! That sounds pretty promising to me.

I thought you were referencing the scene in the tunnel when you're attacked by a near endless wave of juvies, but i now know the scene your referring to, i'll check that later.

I do love my DX, it is capable of displaying absolutely stunning images. However, the backlight banding is really distracting. It's not a constant issue, but when it does crop up the picture quality goes from a 10 out of 10 to a 2 out of 10 for me. It's a shame, but i've learnt that that's the price you pay for the extreme hdr impact that only a 1000+ nit lcd can produce, and it's a price i'm willing to pay i guess. (Worth noting that i rarely, if ever see issues with sdr content, so for people who don't watch much hdr, this tv probably does seem nearly flawless)

The ultimate tv would be one with the precision of an oled and the brightness of an lcd. I have heard of a micro-led that has 10000 dimming zones?! That sounds pretty promising to me.

oh nah mate. right at the start of the game when u have a flashlight. also when ur underground after that robot cuts u inside and its pitch black. yeah ur thoughts are basically the same as me except i dont really care for the 1000nit impact hdr when i can pick up on bands some of the time thats on show.

i love the TV for SDR tbh. altho i still do see artifacts even ABC @ minimum rarely, its me being OCD because the artifacts stuck out so much at ABC @ Max.

MicroLED, when it hits our lounges in probably 5-10 years will be ace but I'm sure by then there will be some new specifications and tech to be chased. I think HDR on LCDs is just a bit gimped. without the pixel level control of specular highlight detail and maintaining the deep blacks for that perfect contrast.. i really feel like at times my TV is being 'taxed'. Its like when I play a game on my PC and I know my GPU/CPU are nearing 100% usage and you just feel and see odd artifacts that shouldnt be there.

My biggest issues with TVs now tho are they are too small. 65 inch 902b cost me £1.7k 3 years ago. For £1.7k.. im still not getting more than a 65 inch TV which has top of the line PQ like the 902B. I think that sums up just how good value this TV is.

All this talk of Gears 5 reminds me that I just stopped playing it in the middle of the "kite" flying bit. The new ones just aren't grabbing me as much as the original trilogy. In saying that, she's working nights on Saturday, that gives me a good window to settle for a proper go at it. . . .

Here is a screenshot from the new Star Trek: Picard from Amazon Prime on an Apple TV 4K on my DX902. Except it’s not HDR and it’s in 1080/24p. It’s looks better than some HDR material in 4k. Using Professional 1 on default settings. I assume that because it has a lot of CGI it is more akin to a 2K DI.

31AC4115-10C6-4780-9D32-4029265064BB.jpeg

Here is a screenshot from the new Star Trek: Picard from Amazon Prime on an Apple TV 4K on my DX902. Except it’s not HDR and it’s in 1080/24p. It’s looks better than some HDR material in 4k. Using Professional 1 on default settings. I assume that because it has a lot of CGI it is more akin to a 2K DI.

View attachment 1249292

I've always wondered why superhero/CGI heavy shows and movies look so good even in 1080p. Is this the likely reason why?

View attachment 1249292

looks amazing!

I wish I could settle on default but I just can’t, abc on min makes blacks look too light and ifc I have to have on mid else the jarring and judder is just awful!

I would say I’m sensitive but honestly the movement is like the tv is stuck jarring like a car stalling over and over!

I've always wondered why superhero/CGI heavy shows and movies look so good even in 1080p. Is this the likely reason why?

Are you comparing against HDR? If yes, you should get a picture that is dimmer than SDR which part explains why some HD/4K SDR tend to look brighter even at lower settings. Also it is down to filming style. Not all shows / films are shot equal. I watched Gemini Man UHD 60fps and for most parts it looked stunning and it was far superior to its BD counterpart.

Also have you set Colour space for SDR to REC.2020 as it will result in more saturated colours which could be another factor?

Off topic to what you guys are discussing but can anyone tell me where I can find the "Mac" address on my DX902 ?

Off topic to what you guys are discussing but can anyone tell me where I can find the "Mac" address on my DX902 ?
menu->NetworkStatus->Status Details After Reception bars.

If it's anything like the FX750 series you should see it in...menu, network, network status, status details.

Godzilla KOTM and BvS last scene - ouch my eye hurts too much lol. o_O

Exactly. Its not like I despise this TV. Remember, I re-bought this instead of buying something else which itself proves I had picked my poison :)
I'll be taking a £500 gulp of that poison Friday after noon, I'm not going to regret it am I?
Is it gonna look a Lot worse than my oled?
Im dying to campare the hdr brightness of the two.

I'll be taking a £500 gulp of that poison Friday after noon, I'm not going to regret it am I?
Is it gonna look a Lot worse than my oled?
Im dying to campare the hdr brightness of the two.

I think that the longevity of this thread is testament to the quality of this TV. OLED is obviously better for contrast and light control but the DX is by no means bad. It still holds up well against the stupidly expensive top of the range LCDs of today. As long as the one you're getting isn't damaged, £500 is a risk free investment.

I think that the longevity of this thread is testament to the quality of this TV. OLED is obviously better for contrast and light control but the DX is by no means bad. It still holds up well against the stupidly expensive top of the range LCDs of today. As long as the one you're getting isn't damaged, £500 is a risk free investment.
Yeah, it's impossible to do better for 500 notes and I need a new LCD daily workhorse.
It was this or an xe93 but people still want silly money for the 93.
The lack of warranty is a concern but you you pays your money you takes your chances I guess.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom