Panasonic DX902B Owners Thread Part 4

OK, good to know. Another one of those things that I'm glad I don't see and I'm certainly not going to go intentionally looking for it.

Separate note, we had a random power off yesterday. Hopefully not the start of anything funky. Although we've got 2.5 years of warranty left, I fear for my replacement options if it died.

This frame skipping is another one of those things that I've heard of but never noticed. Is it confined to BR disk usage?
Do you use IFC? My father has the same set (Himedia Q10Pro Player + DX900) and i encountered the frame skip in UHD HDR once but it was so much less that my parents did not see it (IFC Custon: Blur 6, Film smooth 3).
As far as is can tell, it seems to be confined to HDMI usage for video playback.

I had to check as I've not recollection of setting it. IFC Custom, Blur 10, FS 0
IMHO that is the best compromise for me as well. I can see the frame skip..but its much less obvious. Blur 10, FS 1 or 2 nearly hide this frame skip but then i induce black smearing issues in HDR content (FS 2 and above). I will do further tests in the evening. 7 sealed BluRays for 7 evenings left.

This frame skipping is another one of those things that I've heard of but never noticed. Is it confined to BR disk usage?

I nearly alway play disks,Blu rays 4K UHD,and have never noticed any skipping,the bit of streaming i have done mainly Netflix,a trial with Amazon,the results have been mixed,i think a lot has to do with the variable bit rates that streaming services use.

:)

I can see the infamous micro stutter occasionally just like I saw in my Panny GT60 Plasma while watching Blu-rays. It's still present but virtually unnoticeable.

Frame skip galore with YouTube especially on Fire TV stick. This is one thing that annoys me a.lot as most of my TV time is spent on YouTube.

Joker looked very nice btw except for one scene that exhibited some crazy blooming.

Watching As Astra and sadly noticed several instances of Blooming due to the filming style but I have now got used to it.

I can see the infamous micro stutter occasionally just like I saw in my Panny GT60 Plasma while watching Blu-rays. It's still present but virtually unnoticeable.

Frame skip galore with YouTube especially on Fire TV stick. This is one thing that annoys me a.lot as most of my TV time is spent on YouTube.

Joker looked very nice btw except for one scene that exhibited some crazy blooming.

Watching As Astra and sadly noticed several instances of Blooming due to the filming style but I have now got used to it.
If you want want to know about frame rates, interlacing and pull down and refresh rates and much more, check out the Filmmaker IQ channel on Youtube.

Anyone any advice regarding screen replacement under warranty and how to move this issue forward? I’ve been back and forth with Panasonic’s quite poor customer service department, now 36 emails deep, since mid December and am getting nowhere fast.

65 inch version purchased from Richer Sounds in 2016.
  • Claimed under warranty direct with Panasonic December 2019 as the TV panel had 7 dead pixels, bad banding and edge clouding.
  • Martin Dawes service team were sent out by Panasonic to repair and replace the bad panel with a new one.
  • Brand new panel once switched on had 17 dead pixels and the same, but worse, banding and clouding.
At this point I informed Panasonic CS via email of the problem and requested a replacement TV. They came back to say all they could offer was another replacement panel. I pointed out it’s highly likely the same problem would occur again, that I’m not happy with another panel, and they need to acknowledge this machine has numerous reports of bad panels, and exercise some sympathetic customer service given the high price of the TV, and repeated issues I’m facing.

Per consumer advice listed on Which? and Citizens Advice :

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with Panasonic that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As they are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 6 years and a previous attempt at repair or replacement has also failed, I am within my statutory rights to ask for it to be replaced at no further cost to me.

I’ve emailed them this consumer advice and given them the recommended 14 days to reply with a course of action. This 14 days period ends tomorrow and I’ve had zero response from Panasonic.

Any opinions and advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Anyone any advice regarding screen replacement under warranty and how to move this issue forward? I’ve been back and forth with Panasonic’s quite poor customer service department, now 36 emails deep, since mid December and am getting nowhere fast.

• Claimed under warranty direct with Panasonic December 2019 as the TV panel had 7 dead pixels, bad banding and edge clouding.
  • Martin Dawes service team were sent out by Panasonic to repair and replace the bad panel with a new one.
  • Brand new panel once switched on had 17 dead pixels and the same, but worse, banding and clouding.
At this point I informed Panasonic CS via email of the problem and requested a replacement TV. They came back to say all they could offer was another replacement panel. I pointed out it’s highly likely the same problem would occur again, that I’m not happy with another panel, and they need to acknowledge this machine has numerous reports of bad panels, and exercise some sympathetic customer service given the high price of the TV, and repeated issues I’m facing.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with Panasonic that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As they are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 6 years and a previous attempt at repair or replacement has also failed, I am within my statutory rights to ask for it to be replaced at no further cost to me.

I’ve emailed them this consumer advice and given them the recommended 14 days to reply with a course of action. This 14 days period ends tomorrow and I’ve had zero response from Panasonic.

Thanks folks.
I think from memory Panasonic are within there rights to try another replacement panel, then if there are still issues with the second replacement panel your in a far better position to request a replacement TV set. If Panasonic had no more new replacement panels then again you request a replacement TV.
Others on here have had replacement panels fitted without any issues.
My advice, let Panasonic replace another panel (if they can still get one) and hopefully all will be OK.
Also keep in mind that you may be offered a lower spec replacement TV.

MrG you're quoting consumer rights to the wrong entity. Your contract of sale is with Richersounds, that's who you chase for consumer rights. If you're pushed to start small claims court proceedings it'll be against RS.

Any warranty is a separate matter and you're at the mercy of the manufacturer policy. Really it should be RS chasing Panasonic for you.

Last edited:
I got my DX900 from a local store in Germany. After Installation in the living room, the TV also suffered from 4 dead pixels and vertical banding on the right side of the screen. One green pixel was so highlighted in HDR mode, that you cannot ignore it. I also contacted Panasonic and they were more than surprised as my set only had 4 hours of screen-on time. After one week a got a new panel with no dead pixel and better uniformity overall. Not perfect, but better. So i would try the panel lottery one more time.

To my new findings of the frame skips: I also got frame skips with my other BluRays which were most often very subtle (all upscaled to 4K by the UB824). For the movie yesterday i switched the resolution from my UB824 to 1080p to see if i can get the same behavior as with the HiMedia Q10 pro player. And yes...in 1080p i had no frame skips at all. Not even the slight hint of it! (IFC Setting Blur 10 FS 0) That is so strange! So it seems that the bug is found in 4K 24Hz content only (HDR independant). I confirmed that with the 4K BluRay of "John wick". With Blur 10 FS 0 you can see a very slight frame skip every now and then. Then i tried Blur 10 FS 1, which was not much better. Much less was the effect with IFC off BUT then it only occurs in scenes with close-ups of faces. The best result for frame skips but not my favorite one resulted in IFC setting Blur 6 FS 3.

Overall, i think i will switch my resolution to 1080p every time i play standard BluRays - One part of the solution. But overall this bug drives me nuts. I will try all my UHD BluRays again with different IFC settings to find the best compromise for UHD.

Last edited:
I got my DX900 from a local store in Germany. After Installation in the living room, the TV also suffered from 4 dead pixels and vertical banding on the right side of the screen. One green pixel was so highlighted in HDR mode, that you cannot ignore it. I also contacted Panasonic and they were more than surprised as my set only had 4 hours of screen-on time. After one week a got a new panel with no dead pixel and better uniformity overall. Not perfect, but better. So i would try the panel lottery one more time.

To my new findings of the frame skips: I also got frame skips with my other BluRays which were most often very subtle (all upscaled to 4K by the UB824). For the movie yesterday i switched the resolution from my UB824 to 1080p to see if i can get the same behavior as with the HiMedia Q10 pro player. And yes...in 1080p i had no frame skips at all. Not even the slight hint of it! (IFC Setting Blur 10 FS 0) That is so strange! So it seems that the bug is found in 4K 24Hz content only (HDR independant). I confirmed that with the 4K BluRay of "John wick". With Blur 10 FS 0 you can see a very slight frame skip every now and then. Then i tried Blur 10 FS 1, which was not much better. Much less was the effect with IFC off BUT then it only occurs in scenes with close-ups of faces. The best result for frame skips but not my favorite one resulted in IFC setting Blur 6 FS 3.

Overall, i think i will switch my resolution to 1080p every time i play standard BluRays - One part of the solution. But overall this bug drives me nuts. I will try all my UHD BluRays again with different IFC settings to find the best compromise for UHD.
I too noticed frame skips playing 4k discs at 24hz. I assumed it was an issue with my XB1X, so i got a ub-820 and while watching Aquaman i noticed the frame skip.

So i realised that i never saw any issues when watching standard blu rays on my bd 55 player, which outputs at 1080p 24hz, and i never saw issues with Netflix 4k, which outputs at 60hz, so my conclusion, like yours, was that frame skipping happens when the tv is receiving a 4K 24hz signal.

My solution was to turn off 24hz in the ub 820 and run everything at 60hz and use ifc to eliminate the jerky motion that running 24hz content at 60 introduces. I use custom ifc with blur at 7 and film smooth at 3. To my eyes, motion quality looks smooth and natural (in fact, i think it looks better than 24hz with ifc off) and i no longer see frame skips, so i'm personally happy with the compromise.
You will also be restricted to 4:2:2 rather than 4:4:4, but i honestly see no noticeable reduction in image quality.

I also notice this frame skipping on my panny FZ802 oled, although it happens at 1080p, 4k, 60, 50 and 24hz. My girlfriend never notices it, but i find it a little annoying to say the least.

Thanks folks.

Hi there,

I saw your comments on the thread and was obviously concerned to learn you've been having problems with your TV.

To resolve the matter for you asap I've dropped you a private message requesting further information.

Hope to hear from you soon.

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

I too noticed frame skips playing 4k discs at 24hz. I assumed it was an issue with my XB1X, so i got a ub-820 and while watching Aquaman i noticed the frame skip.

So i realised that i never saw any issues when watching standard blu rays on my bd 55 player, which outputs at 1080p 24hz, and i never saw issues with Netflix 4k, which outputs at 60hz, so my conclusion, like yours, was that frame skipping happens when the tv is receiving a 4K 24hz signal.

My solution was to turn off 24hz in the ub 820 and run everything at 60hz and use ifc to eliminate the jerky motion that running 24hz content at 60 introduces. I use custom ifc with blur at 7 and film smooth at 3. To my eyes, motion quality looks smooth and natural (in fact, i think it looks better than 24hz with ifc off) and i no longer see frame skips, so i'm personally happy with the compromise.
You will also be restricted to 4:2:2 rather than 4:4:4, but i honestly see no noticeable reduction in image quality.

I also notice this frame skipping on my panny FZ802 oled, although it happens at 1080p, 4k, 60, 50 and 24hz. My girlfriend never notices it, but i find it a little annoying to say the least.

Thanks for clarification. Good to know someone experienced the same issue with another possible solution. One side question to your FZ802: Is the frame skip as severe as with the DX900 or is the bug much less visible? I asked that because my wife see the frame skip bug on my DX900 as well.

Thanks for clarification. Good to know someone experienced the same issue with another possible solution. One side question to your FZ802: Is the frame skip as severe as with the DX900 or is the bug much less visible? I asked that because my wife see the frame skip bug on my DX900 as well.
It is a bit different on my FZ802. I would say it's less noticeable, but it happens more often.

Before i used the 60hz trick, the frame skip on the DX would occur randomly; sometimes i could watch a whole film and not see it once, other times it would happen 2 or 3 times during a film.

On the FZ802 it happens more regularly, but it seems to occur after camera cuts strangely; the film/show/tv programme will cut to another shot and i will then notice a small stutter. It's hard to spot admittedly, but my brain picks up on it.

So , i would say the effect, when it happens, is more noticeable on the DX, but it's more common on the FZ802, and it occurs with all resolutions and framerates, whereas the DX only has this problem at 4K 24hz.

Having recently picked up the excellent Kraftwerk - 3D BluRay (the Atmos mix is outstanding) I finally pulled the trigger on some 3D glasses (The Panasonic TY-ER3D5ME). I spent about half an hour playing with the in Kraftwerk, TT3D - Closer To The Edge and a 2012 Panasonic 3D demo disc. There's definitely cross talk and some fast scenes get artifacting too (quite noticeable on the TT3D disc), but on the whole the 3D effect is pretty good; the Natalia Kills music video was pretty strong. 3D still gives me some eye strain, so it's not something I'd watch a lot of (and I don't have much content), but it was interesting to see how the DX902 handled it.

Oh yeah I picked up 3 pairs there a while ago when I found them going cheap (I'm sure I posted here about them), I find the 3D feature fine on the 902, not something I'm interested in but I can't say it's any worse than an cinema I've been to - only tested with bits of Frozen. Anyway, it's more a thing for the little one but they're still a bit big for her head and she doesn't actually register what's happening.

I do have a bunch of 3D rips that I'd forgotten about (e.g. Endgame, RPO) so next time the wife is working nights I might give them a whirl - not a chance she'd be caught dead wearing them.

Further testing yesterday and in the morning today reveal that the 60 Hz workaround does not work for me (it hides the frame skip, but introduce other motion shutter now and then during very slow scenes). I ended up with 24 Hz playback with IFC Blur 0 and film smooth 1. That setting showed the best results for me without major introduction of soap opera effect and sufficient smoothness to nearly cover up the frame skip. Surprisingly, the playback of 5 different UHDs ISOs yesterday evening with the mediaplayer showed no frame skip at all. However, the John wick 2 UHD Bluray showed slight skips during playback with the Ub824 even with the new IFC setting. But this BluRay seems more problematic than others. But it is much more settle compared to Blur 10 Smooth 0. So far so good.

I suspect the Panasonic players also have a similar bug in this regard. My UB700 seems worse with this and other owners of the UB700 have said they had their player fixed to get rid of the problem. I'm not sure what fix was implemented though.
Another very interesting information! Do they talk about the fix here in the forum or elsewhere?

Have a look around these posts

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom