Quantcast

Panasonic DX902B Owners Thread Part 4

OledMasterRace

Yeah, it's impossible to do better for 500 notes and I need a new LCD daily workhorse.
It was this or an xe93 but people still want silly money for the 93.
The lack of warranty is a concern but you you pays your money you takes your chances I guess.
Well I wasn't disappointed, this thing puts out an astonishing picture!
When I got my oled 3 years ago I spent weeks faffing with it to get the picture just so, with this I selected professional 2 turned off all the nonsense annnnnd I don't feel the need to mess with it further.
I have only one minor complaint and that is that I can see the bars lighting up on hdr movies.
The motion is the best I've ever seen on any TV ever as is the upscaling by quite the considerable margin.

The hdr is actually bright enough to make me whince!
All in all I'd call it a tie between this and my B6, only thing missing from this is dolby vision which is a shame but my B6 has that covered.
I was sceptical this could match oled and in some ways I was right to be but this comfortably the best led TV I've ever seen or owned..

emcsq

Well I wasn't disappointed, this thing puts out an astonishing picture!
When I got my oled 3 years ago I spent weeks faffing with it to get the picture just so, with this I selected professional 2 turned off all the nonsense annnnnd I don't feel the need to mess with it further.
I have only one minor complaint and that is that I can see the bars lighting up on hdr movies.
The motion is the best I've ever seen on any TV ever as is the upscaling by quite the considerable margin.

The hdr is actually bright enough to make me whince!
All in all I'd call it a tie between this and my B6, only thing missing from this is dolby vision which is a shame but my B6 has that covered.
I was sceptical this could match oled and in some ways I was right to be but this comfortably the best led TV I've ever seen or owned..
Glad you're enjoying your new tv!

Couple of things to note:
Panasonic say that True Cinema is the most accurate pre-set for hdr. I must confess i struggle to see a difference between true cinema and professional modes, but it's worth noting.

You probably already know this, but just in case; Make sure you use abc on mid when viewing hdr, min is too weak. I personally cannot be bothered to keep switching between min and mid when going from sdr to hdr, so i just use true cinema with abc mid for both sdr and hdr and i think it looks great.

OledMasterRace

Glad you're enjoying your new tv!

Couple of things to note:
Panasonic say that True Cinema is the most accurate pre-set for hdr. I must confess i struggle to see a difference between true cinema and professional modes, but it's worth noting.

You probably already know this, but just in case; Make sure you use abc on mid when viewing hdr, min is too weak. I personally cannot be bothered to keep switching between min and mid when going from sdr to hdr, so i just use true cinema with abc mid for both sdr and hdr and i think it looks great.
I like how abc looks on max, TV is still as bright as the sun!
I leave it on max for both hdr and sdr and it looks quite frankly astonishing, and this is coming from a guy who's handle is OledMasterRace!

OledMasterRace

What do you chaps use to get teh crud out of the fans?
Hoovering could cause static and kill it could it not?
I want to get as much time out of this thing as possible.

sneakyweeone

What do you chaps use to get teh crud out of the fans?
Hoovering could cause static and kill it could it not?
I want to get as much time out of this thing as possible.
I've had mine for maybe 3 years now and have never felt the need to do anything but dust the top. I believe some one took the
back off and gave them a good clean.

BillRawles

Somebody did take the back off theirs and had a go at it with a little dusting brush a while back iirc. Not sure I'd be going down that road though. Yeah, apart from a quick wipe of outside, I've not paid it much heed tbh.

On a different topic, has anybody invested in any (reasonably priced) bias lighting that they'd recommend recently? I'm not sure the FAQs have been updated much on the front in recent times. I got a cheap 5m LED strip that I put into action yesterday and the effect is excellent. Problem I've found is that after a restart it doesn't remember the last setting used (there are flashing options, I want constant on obviously) so I'd have to take the back panel off the TV and click the button next to the USB plug each time which is a pain.

OledMasterRace

IMG_20200201_231506_491.jpg

Good god I hope there's someone out that fixes these should this ever die!
I haven't touched it save to turn off the nonsense and just look at that picture!

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
View attachment 1253028
Good god I hope there's someone out that fixes these should this ever die!
I haven't touched it save to turn off the nonsense and just look at that picture!
Mine had to go back under warranty recently, and I feared the worst, luckily for me they replaced the panel and all is good in the world again, I also have a Panasonic oled but its the dx902 that wows me the most.
Panasonic should make another fald with 1000-2000 zones instead of the 512 in this one.

OledMasterRace

Mine had to go back under warranty recently, and I feared the worst, luckily for me they replaced the panel and all is good in the world again, I also have a Panasonic oled but its the dx902 that wows me the most.
Panasonic should make another fald with 1000-2000 zones instead of the 512 in this one.
I'm assuming I won't be able to ring em and buy a warranty?
Im not sure what you'd replace this with even if I had one, the new panny led are pants and I don't want two oleds, even with a store warranty what would you replace it with? I wouldn't touch Samsung with a ten foot barge pole and sony havent made a good led since 2017!

BillRawles

This is the dilemma. I'm not even convinced the latest Sammy Q9 is even better than the DX - although I'd love the anti reflective tech they've got. I'm just going to pray xenu and santa that mine lasts another 5+ years.

I paid £1100 for mine 2.5 years ago. For the equivalent money all I could get would be the Sony XF/G90 which while being good bang for buck TVs, cant really hold a candle to the 902.

OledMasterRace

This is the dilemma. I'm not even convinced the latest Sammy Q9 is even better than the DX - although I'd love the anti reflective tech they've got. I'm just going to pray xenu and santa that mine lasts another 5+ years.

I paid £1100 for mine 2.5 years ago. For the equivalent money all I could get would be the Sony XF/G90 which while being good bang for buck TVs, cant really hold a candle to the 902.
The Q9 is God awful imo, for idiots who like to run 80 % colour and 100% back light for everything they watch..

aoaaron

Lol this TV has made upgrading such a pain in the ass for me haha.

I'd say ABC @ min or medium is the only thing I can deal with. At max I see the backlight banding, especially in HDR content.

I just watched some One Piece (an anime) on this TV and oh my god the way it pumps out colour and vibrancy is amazing.

My love/hate relationship with this Tv will likely last for along time.

I WISH WISH WISH panasonic didn't leave the fald game. I feel this TV set is so close to perfection.

2-3 years of subtle refinements and increasing the dimming zones by a tad and reduce backlight banding effect, dolby vision, HDMI 2.1 and VRR with gsync and it would destroy.

Testament to this TV and I think its A* feature which people have alluded to is how close the pro1/pro2 presets are to a calibrated set. you can literally just smack it on pro 1, disable a few features and you're off.

I just wish this TV was 75'' lol.

Got this TV 3 years ago for £1.8k 65'' and I'd say its only NOW that you can get a better IQ at the same price (LG OLED C9 65''). Kudos to Panasonic.

TBH I'm just quite miffed all the manufacturers apart from Samsung threw in the towel re: high end FALD TVs, I really don't think they were far off at all from perfection. Sony took one step back with the wide angle filter, samsung have gimped their TVs tech-wise...

and the 77'' OLED is freaking £5500!

OledMasterRace

Lol mine Eats my living space and I love it for that! Those extra 3 inches make a surprisingly big difference (that's what she said) it is the monolith, the destroyer of worlds!
It's the only TV I've ever bought where I'm not seeing things that get on my nerves or feeling the need to tweek it endlessly, it's just straight up glorious right outa the gate.

I also adore the way it leans backwards a little, always loved that on the sony A1.

I can only imagine how good Panasonics top end oled is! Sadly I'll never have the money to find out.

aoaaron

Lol mine Eats my living space and I love it for that! Those extra 3 inches make a surprisingly big difference (that's what she said) it is the monolith, the destroyer of worlds!
It's the only TV I've ever bought where I'm not seeing things that get on my nerves or feeling the need to tweek it endlessly, it's just straight up glorious right outa the gate.

I also adore the way it leans backwards a little, always loved that on the sony A1.

I can only imagine how good Panasonics top end oled is! Sadly I'll never have the money to find out.
Haha after getting a projector it’s made every screen I have feel tiny 😂😢😢

BillRawles

Nicest one I've seen outside the 2017 sonys and the 8 and 9 series lg oleds, well from the front at least.
Oh aesthetics wise it doesn't look bad, it's mainly the tilt - also if I think back maybe the feet were too far apart for the old TV stand. I much prefer central stands. Anyway, it matters not as it looks like in the coming weeks/months I'll be forced to do what I said i never would. . . .and mount above the fireplace :(

OledMasterRace

Oh aesthetics wise it doesn't look bad, it's mainly the tilt - also if I think back maybe the feet were too far apart for the old TV stand. I much prefer central stands. Anyway, it matters not as it looks like in the coming weeks/months I'll be forced to do what I said i never would. . . .and mount above the fireplace :(
I always cringe/whince when I see a TV above a fireplace, whilst having mine sat about a foot from a radiator lol.

Inked

Distinguished Member
I loved the stand design but definitely prefer the set wall mounted (not above a fireplace or near a rad!)

Hoping mine lasts many more years as I have no idea what I’d replace it with

OledMasterRace

I loved the stand design but definitely prefer the set wall mounted (not above a fireplace or near a rad!)

Hoping mine lasts many more years as I have no idea what I’d replace it with
On the wall is not a option for me, I rent.
Have been looking at those off the wall stands though...

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Here is a critical and shorthand assessment of my DX in no particular order:

1. Some colour banding due to lack of smooth gradation.
2. Minor to moderate blooming / haloing on difficult dark / near black scenes with focussed lighting. ABC at Max mitigates this but ultimately undefeatable.
3. Although blacks can be almost OLED like, it still crushes shadows and star fields don't glitter like you see on OLEDs. This is due to FALD algorithm kicking in to maintain deep blacks and prevent any haloing around tiny bright elements. This is something that plagues any LED-LCD TV so it is a generic complaint. This is a single reason why OLEds are winning HDR category in shootouts. Pixel level control wins.
4. Occasional micro stutter that has been there on most of the Panasonic TVs for decades.
5. Reflective panel.
6. Specular highlights can sometimes look too bright and washed out indicating some deficiencies in tone mapping BvS dawn of justice doomsday fight is a good example.
7. Very poor viewing angles

sneakyweeone

I got a 55 XF9005 recently and it doesn't match this TV in my view (other than maybe sports motion which is not clear cut). It's ok but the picture just doesn't wow the same way the 902 does.

OledMasterRace

Just curious, what are your settings here my friend?

thanks!
Settings for the TV?
Pro 1
All nonsense off except deblur which I've maxed out to no ill effect
And I like local dimming on max for both hdr and sdr, and that's it I think.
Oh and I have sharpness at 0.