Quantcast

Panasonic DX902B Owners Thread Part 4

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Tilt, swivel and retractable. Would these work?

With it being cantilever it will protrude about the same as the last one you linked i imagine.

aoaaron

I had that exact one for over a year with no problems at all.
Al
I used amazon basics wall bracket which does evrything and it worked well.

RiseAbove

On the topic of “Motion” with the DX guys, just my 10cents worth, it is “average/poor” at best.

Compared to my old panny vt50 plasma, it’s a step down and even my Samsung LED which handles motion smoothly with minimal judder the DX is stuttery and juddery, no pull down issue, not a 24hz/source thing, imo it just is the TVs processing. Games are the same on PS4.

I literally have to put blur reduction to 10 and motion smoothing to 8 in IFC on a test image to get it to compare to my Samsung LED and even then SOE exists which does not on the Samsung with no SOE so it’s definitely a weakness.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
On the topic of “Motion” with the DX guys, just my 10cents worth, it is “average/poor” at best.

Compared to my old panny vt50 plasma, it’s a step down and even my Samsung LED which handles motion smoothly with minimal judder the DX is stuttery and juddery, no pull down issue, not a 24hz/source thing, imo it just is the TVs processing. Games are the same on PS4.

I literally have to put blur reduction to 10 and motion smoothing to 8 in IFC on a test image to get it to compare to my Samsung LED and even then SOE exists which does not on the Samsung with no SOE so it’s definitely a weakness.
Seriously there must be something wrong with your tv then, ive owned a vt65 and a zt65 before and they and the dx902 both reach 1080 lines of motion resolution. I game on my ps4 pro on the dx too and have no issues with motion or stuttering.
I dont know what Samsung lcd tv you have but the ks8000 i had was literally one of the worst tv's I've owned for motion and stuttering, so much so i sold it.
And I'm pretty sure even now none of the sammy tv's can hit 1080 lines of motion resolution, i think they get to about 650 lines of motion resolution.

RiseAbove

Seriously there must be something wrong with your tv then, ive owned a vt65 and a zt65 before and they and the dx902 both reach 1080 lines of motion resolution. I game on my ps4 pro on the dx too and have no issues with motion or stuttering.
I dont know what Samsung lcd tv you have but the ks8000 i had was literally one of the worst tv's I've owned for motion and stuttering, so much so i sold it.
And I'm pretty sure even now none of the sammy tv's can hit 1080 lines of motion resolution, i think they get to about 650 lines of motion resolution.
The only major difference is the size of the panel.
I would assume that plays a factor to my eyes or it’s down to sensitivity of you say it’s a fault.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
The only major difference is the size of the panel.
I would assume that plays a factor to my eyes or it’s down to sensitivity of you say it’s a fault.
Are you using game mode when playing the ps4? It honestly sounds like a faulty panel to me as i don't get any stuttering and i owned 2 dx902's until recently when i sold one and got a panny oled, motion is excellent on the dx902. And it can't be the size of the panel, the zt65 inch was 60 inches where as my dx902 is 58 inches so smaller.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I don't use game mode at all. Same mode for games as I do for films. Don't see any stutter in games.
You don't need to use it if you have ifc turned off, input lag is the same.

Bacus

Distinguished Member
I'm sure this has been asked and answered be for but I did search and couldn't see it but,
Can you side load apps on the DX ?

Eddy555

I think there's a development mode you can use

Bacus

Distinguished Member
I think there's a development mode you can use
Thanks mate I'll have a look.

RiseAbove

One thing I notice from all the calibration settings (thanks Eddy) is that they are all set to abc min? Do you guys not find blacks to look greyish with this?
Is there much harm in setting them to mid or does it alter gamma completely?

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
One thing I notice from all the calibration settings (thanks Eddy) is that they are all set to abc min? Do you guys not find blacks to look greyish with this?
Min is perfect for sdr, mid for hdr i would say.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Coming from OLED, Max does the job for me. Still not OLED blacks but very close.

Btw, Fire TV and YouTube are a toxic combination. I sampled many clips on built-in app and on Fire TV stick. Built-in app so much better. No stutter / frame skipping but sadly it is way too slow for me.

Fire TV:

Adaptive - messes everything. Oversaturated / washed out.
Forced HDR - causes stuttering / frame skipping on YouTube and other apps on non-film contents. Much better than adaptive but quite far off from built-in app.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Spent about 30 minutes yesterday with built-in YouTube app and man what a difference.

I do see some minor DSE and banding (horizontal and vertical) but it's okay got the price I paid.

ABC Max for me as anything else results in gray blacks (not too bad but coming from an OLED, it was a bit too much for me).

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I wonder if the gamma calibration is out on some sets and results in grey blacks?
I dont know, Vincent measured blacks at 0 with abc on min, and i have mine on min for sdr and mid for hdr, blacks are anything but grey

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Finally watched my first 4K UHD disc on this telly. Man what a cracking TV this is.

All the issues I had experienced with Fire TV stick are gone. No major motion issues, blacks are very close to OLED when ABC=Max, even MId with brightness at -1 works really well, no shadow crush, maybe the intensity of very tiny bright objects against dark background is les impactful than OLED but very bright picture, significantly brighter than the OLED and colours better than my LG OLED.

I thought Fire TV stick and YouTube alone were the odd couple but Amazon Video is as well. Sampled Wonder Woman and Kung Fu Panda. Initially it was on REC.709 and switching to REC.2020 made it almost night and day.

There is some DSE noticeable but I am okay with that. The only negative is the viewing angle. This is one area where OLED is the king.

Overall I am really pleased with this TV. Don't buy a new TV if you already own this.
The only reason to replace this with am OLED is viewing angle. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money for potentially an inferior picture.

BillRawles

Oh yeah the viewing angles are supposed to be an issue. I cant say I've noticed but I'm aware it's a limitation of the panel type, small sacrifice to have better blacks. My only "gripe" with this TV is the reflections but that's mostly my own fault due to room layout - need some proper blackout curtains

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Sampled couple of 3D BDs. Except for some crosstalk looking good. Not as effective as watching via my Epson 9400 projector but overall very pleased. The ability to select REC.2020 for any source is a great feature.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I've never got around to trying 3D on this set, mainly because I haven't got the glasses and have only 1 3D film (TT 3D). Cross talk is the main weakness I've heard, but I'm still curious to try it
I havnt tried 3d either on the dx902, mainly because I've been spoiled with amazing 3d on the lg e6 oled, the dx902 will fail miserably in comparison.