Quantcast

Panasonic DX902B Owners Thread Part 4

The Limey

This is a continuation of the Panasonic DX902B Owners Thread Part 3 which can be found here:
Panasonic DX902B owners thread part 3

Ed's FAQ below:

This FAQ has been created to help owners quickly find answers to the most commonly asked questions in one convenient location.

Information from AVForums Owners Threads

What’s the width of the supplied stand?

58” = 1180mm wide,

65” = 1330mm wide, 340 deep

Can you use an alternative stand?

Some users have installed narrower stands. The TV supports the standard 400x400 VESA mounting on the back

Stands.

Wall Mount Brackets

What AV Cabinets are people using?

The rest of the FAQ can be found here:
Panasonic DX902 FAQ

The Limey

Anton2015

Distinguished Member

Ross L

@The Limey - any chance we can get a link to Ed's FAQ added to your first post? It would make directing mobile / app users to it so much easier.

This threads longevity shows two things. The TV is amazing....and we have no lives :rotfl:

RiseAbove

To celebrate part4 of the thread...

Honestly! Insane pq on the dx902 even in black & white! [emoji44]

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Excuse the yellow tinge to the photo my camera’s given it a weird hue!

Last edited:

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member
This threads longevity shows two things. The TV is amazing....and we have no lives :rotfl:
There's something in that, I just had a look at my post count from part 2 and 3, and it totals 2000 posts which is insane frankly :laugh:

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
There's something in that, I just had a look at my post count from part 2 and 3, and it totals 2000 posts which is insane frankly :laugh:
But to be fair 762 of those were Nicholars asking for photos or talking about green blobs [emoji23]

Naven

Standard Member
Hi again, lads. I’m a bit paranoid now about the backlight bleed I described in my earlier post and have some follow-up questions:

1). When I say backlight bleed, I mean white patchiness on part of the screen, which only shows on completely black images and in a very dark room; it is more obvious with HDR content. Is this “normal”?
2). I have been experimenting with ABC and whilst the blacks are indeed deeper, I do get some haloing, even with ABC set to min. HDR in particular looks too bright, maybe this is the issue? Any recommendations to mitigate the haloing?

Cheers, guys!

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member
Hi again, lads. I’m a bit paranoid now about the backlight bleed I described in my earlier post and have some follow-up questions:

1). When I say backlight bleed, I mean white patchiness on part of the screen, which only shows on completely black images and in a very dark room; it is more obvious with HDR content. Is this “normal”?
2). I have been experimenting with ABC and whilst the blacks are indeed deeper, I do get some haloing, even with ABC set to min. HDR in particular looks too bright, maybe this is the issue? Any recommendations to mitigate the haloing?

Cheers, guys!
So you're getting white patches on a full black screen?

Eddy555

First episode of The Punisher (1080p HDR) and it looks pretty good overall. Much better ABL than other Marvel series, so it doesn't look so damn dark and gritty. It does however have an excess of grain (IMHO), which seems to be the norm with Netflix. Star Trek Enterprise had the same issue for me. Good first episode too, so looking forward to the rest of the series.

Naven

Standard Member
So you're getting white patches on a full black screen?
Yep. These are only apparent when ABC is off and only when viewing certain media e.g. game loading screens. If, for example, I play a “backlight bleed test” video from YouTube, the screen is pitch black with no patchy bits, regardless of the ABC setting; weird, I know!

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member
Yep. These are only apparent when ABC is off and only when viewing certain media e.g. game loading screens. If, for example, I play a “backlight bleed test” video from YouTube, the screen is pitch black with no patchy bits, regardless of the ABC setting; weird, I know!
Jeez, you use it with ABC off? Why on God's earthly planet would you do that? And yep it looks hideous!

HDR makes this TV look like the worst screen ever created with ABC off lol.

ABC min is useless for HDR, but mid and max can work well, but bright white logos and film credits against a black background will always struggle to a degree, nothing you can do about the bloom unless you dial down backlight and contrast a bit, I've put backlight down to 88 for mid ABC HDR and brightness -2, and it's still brighter than max ABC with 100 backlight and same shadow detail (i use both mid and max btw) and it does reduce bloom a bit, gamma plays a part too, I've got some 2.3 gamma settings you can try too, it keeps the HDR PQ gamma curve tracking well, as I've been told OTB it tracks a fair bit above. Worth a try.

2.3 gamma HDR

ABC max

10ire -10
20 -10
30 -20
40 -20
50 -30
60 -50
70 -50
80 -50
90 -50
100 -50

Last edited:

Naven

Standard Member
Jeez, you use it with ABC off? Why on God's earthly planet would you do that? And yep it looks hideous!

HDR makes this TV look like the worst screen ever created with ABC off lol.

ABC min is useless for HDR, but mid and max can work well, but bright white logos and film credits against a black background will always struggle to a degree, nothing you can do about the bloom unless you dial down backlight and contrast a bit, I've put backlight down to 88 for mid ABC HDR and brightness -2, and it's still brighter than max ABC with 100 backlight and same shadow detail (i use both mid and max btw) and it does reduce bloom a bit, gamma plays a part too, I've got some 2.3 gamma settings you can try too, it keeps the HDR PQ gamma curve tracking well, as I've been told OTB it tracks a fair bit above. Worth a try.

2.3 gamma HDR

ABC max

10ire -10
20 -10
30 -20
40 -20
50 -30
60 -50
70 -50
80 -50
90 -50
100 -50
Nice. Cheers for that, mate! Will give it a try later. I’ve been putting off using HDR for gaming, as I assumed the extra processing would add to the display lag.

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member
Nice. Cheers for that, mate! Will give it a try later. I’ve been putting off using HDR for gaming, as I assumed the extra processing would add to the display lag.
I honestly think you are worrying way too much about lag, especially as it's affecting your actual enjoyment of the TV's best features.

I'm a huge gamer and personally find it no different to my old JS9000 which was 22ms. Unless you can tell me you actually feel the difference with ABC off and on, just get it on right this second! :rotfl:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
But to be fair 762 of those were Nicholars asking for photos or talking about green blobs [emoji23]
I almost choked on my coffee Anton!

Eddy555

I honestly think you are worrying way too much about lag, especially as it's affecting your actual enjoyment of the TV's best features.

I'm a huge gamer and personally find it no different to my old JS9000 which was 22ms. Unless you can tell me you actually feel the difference with ABC off and on, just get it on right this second! :rotfl:
Agreed, not felt any issues with lag in this TV in any mode and I reckon I spend most of my time on this TV gaming

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member
Agreed, not felt any issues with lag in this TV in any mode and I reckon I spend most of my time on this TV gaming
Even retro gaming feels awesome on it tbh, and considering these games were built with zero lag CRT's in mind, it just proves what a non issue it is.