Panasonic DX902B owners thread part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
IFC, off, min of mid for Ultra HD football? I can't decide what's best

IFC, off, min of mid for Ultra HD football? I can't decide what's best

I have IFC set to custom.Blur reduction 7,film smooth 0,clear motion off.

And footie looks ok to me.

I don't know if it'll help,i use these settings.

They are a tad bright for me, for night time viewing,i just turn the backlight down to 23 for night time,they are ok for daytime.

George

@GaryB19722010 Afraid it's not sorted the Sky Q 10 bit issue, no. Changed HDCP to 2.2 and switched between both HDMI Auto settings but to no avail...
Have you tried a different hdmi cable?

Here's the DSE on my 58" set. Looks pretty bad to me. I compared these videos to my other TV set - a Sony 55W829B and it was very mild by comparison. The horizontal lines you see are also visible, almost most of the time, although the videos do exaggerate it a little bit. If other sets are similar to this I don't think I'll bother with a replacement. Hopefully this is a one off though!

Sample 1

Sample 2

Last edited:
I took delivery of both the 58 and 65 models last week, So far I've paired the larger set up with a X box one s and the new Yamaha 2700 sounder and sub, I've added some UHD discs and the performance has been very impressive so far, no complains what so ever.

I took delivery of both the 58 and 65 models last week, So far I've paired the larger set up with a X box one s and the new Yamaha 2700 sounder and sub, I've added some UHD discs and the performance has been very impressive so far, no complains what so ever.

It pairs well with the 2700 which I've not had the opportunity to push to its limits yet

It pairs well with the 2700 which I've not had the opportunity to push to its limits yet

Last night we watched the UHD movie Salt, volume was set to 55 on the 2700 and sub was about 30% and this was more than enough for us.

I need to look at the best way to connect the 2700 to the tv, X box one S and the Virgin Tivo box, as I'm a little confused by one one hdmi having the ARC setting.

Last night we watched the UHD movie Salt, volume was set to 55 on the 2700 and sub was about 30% and this was more than enough for us.

I need to look at the best way to connect the 2700 to the tv, X box one S and the Virgin Tivo box, as I'm a little confused by one one hdmi having the ARC setting.

Sub 30%, is it just set via the remote?

Here's the DSE on my 58" set. Looks pretty bad to me. I compared these videos to my other TV set - a Sony 55W829B and it was very mild by comparison. The vertical lines you see are also visible, almost most of the time, although the videos do exaggerate it a little bit. If other sets are similar to this I don't think I'll bother with a replacement. Hopefully this is a one off though!

Sample 1

Sample 2

My first set had pretty bad DSE but no banding. My replacement set is more uniform. You can still see DSE but it is not as intrusive to watching sport as the first set so I'll be keeping it.

Various strengths and weaknesses compared to my previous ZT60 plasma, but even that had uniformity issues.

Here's the DSE on my 58" set. Looks pretty bad to me. I compared these videos to my other TV set - a Sony 55W829B and it was very mild by comparison. The vertical lines you see are also visible, almost most of the time, although the videos do exaggerate it a little bit. If other sets are similar to this I don't think I'll bother with a replacement. Hopefully this is a one off though!

Sample 1

Sample 2

I assume that your Sony was an edge lit set?You will never see any banding on edge lit sets since it is the LED's themselves behind the panel that causes this.There is some noticeable DSE on your videos but this may partly be due the video.If you freeze the picture on the above two tests are you still seeing any banding or DSE?If the answer is no then your TV is performing the same as mine.If the answer is yes then I would ask for a repacement since I have zero banding on stationary shots and no DSE under any circumstances.

The easiest way to get others to assess DSE/banding for you is to take a picture of the set with a 50% grey image. The banding/DSE is just the uneven grey uniformity of the panel being perceived. I posted mine a long time ago in the first part of the dx902 thread.

It's very difficult to assess in those videos because of the scanning artefact. My guess is that mine is quite a bit worse than yours.

I assume that your Sony was an edge lit set?You will never see any banding on edge lit sets since it is the LED's themselves behind the panel that causes this.There is some noticeable DSE on your videos but this may partly be due the video.If you freeze the picture on the above two tests are you still seeing any banding or DSE?If the answer is no then your TV is performing the same as mine.If the answer is yes then I would ask for a repacement since I have zero banding on stationary shots and no DSE under any circumstances.

This is a combination of both DSE and banding. You can clearly see the vertical lines and horizontal waves. I'm not sure why you think edge lit TVs don't suffer from banding because I've had a few edge lit sets that had banding much, much worse than this. For example: one set I had was the LG 55820V which had terrible DSE and banding. Really, really poor. It lasted merely seconds before it was put back in the box and returned. Appreciate the help though. Thanks.

Hi, have a problem with sound. From my Sky q and samsung blue ray, going to my Denon receiver no probs, but direct from Sky q to the 902b through HDMI and Sky set to Dolby Dig HDMI and the lip sync is awful. Same with Blue ray player. If I set the Sky to standard sound all OK, but if I am paying that sort of money I would like it to be dolby sound. Funny when playing on board apps eg Netflix in 5.1 no probs. There is no way to alter the sync in the TV settings. This is the second TV as I sent back one because of this. I have been in contact with Panasonic who tried to blame first Sky box then Samsung blue ray then denon receiver, until I pointed out that they all play great going through my receiver. I would like to blame the Sky Q box but as I have said it works perfectly with the Denon receiver. Panasonic do not seem to have a clue.

That is absolute 100℅ nonsense
DSE and banding are often referred to as the same thing which they are not.If you can see any banding on a side lit TV then it is not due to the LED's .It is widely known that the downside of direct lit LCD TV's is banding due to the LED's themselves being visible behind the panel on light coloured panning shots.Freeze either a test disc picture or any uniform colour and if you can see banding then it is a flaw in the panel design and not anything to do with the LED's.Regarding DSE or to put it simply dirty smudges on the screen ( a test picture of a white background) would be a good test then IMOP if it is a 902 then I would regard this as not being satisfactory.I have zero DSE on my 65" but accept the banding issue visible on certain pans.I should have made it clear in my previous post that I was referring to banding being caused by the LED's themselves.

• A reply from Panasonic over the lip sync issue. I had problems with Samsung, but was hoping Panasonic would come clean but they have not. I was on to the phone yesterday, and they were saying that thy had not heard of any of these sound sync problems. As usual they are try to blame the other equipment or the leads. Using the sky HDMI lead works great in DD to the receiver, but when I connect direct to the TV the sync must be over a second. I have to change the audio from DD to normal which then works. The thing here this is not a cheap TV and as such one would like everything to work.
  • If they do not come with suitable fix then the TV is going back.
  • Anyway this is from Panasonic and then my reply.
  • Hello Paul,

If the replacement TV has the same issue it's very unlikely to be a fault with the product. As previously advised, it may be some kind of compatibility issue that is occurring when connecting multiple devices together. I can only apologise that you have been dissatisfied and I trust that the dealer can provide you with an alternative solution if this is what you require. I will obviously relay your feedback to the AV department anyway, as you do appreciate customer feedback.

Kind regards,

Paul Online Support

• 12:21

Paul Lowe
    I don't have multiple devices connected, just the Sky Q via the HDMI lead to HDMI 1. When sky audio is set to Dolby over HDMI within the Sky Q box, straight to the sky box awful. As I have said the lip sync is fine when I connect to my denon receiver. Same thing when I connect my blue ray player, fine through my receiver but sync awful when I connect it directly by HDMI. This tells me that there is nothing wrong with the Sky Q or my Blue ray player as they play perfectly going through my receiver. When I pass through the receiver (put receiver into standby), it sends all signals through to the TV, the sync is out. What i can not understand is why the TV does not have a delay function. This tells me there is nothing wrong with the Sky box or blue ray as they work with the receiver but not when direct to the TV. Seeing as you do not have any solutions the TV is going back. Paul.

• A reply from Panasonic over the lip sync issue. I had problems with Samsung, but was hoping Panasonic would come clean but they have not. I was on to the phone yesterday, and they were saying that thy had not heard of any of these sound sync problems. As usual they are try to blame the other equipment or the leads. Using the sky HDMI lead works great in DD to the receiver, but when I connect direct to the TV the sync must be over a second. I have to change the audio from DD to normal which then works. The thing here this is not a cheap TV and as such one would like everything to work.
  • If they do not come with suitable fix then the TV is going back.
  • Anyway this is from Panasonic and then my reply.
  • Hello Paul,

If the replacement TV has the same issue it's very unlikely to be a fault with the product. As previously advised, it may be some kind of compatibility issue that is occurring when connecting multiple devices together. I can only apologise that you have been dissatisfied and I trust that the dealer can provide you with an alternative solution if this is what you require. I will obviously relay your feedback to the AV department anyway, as you do appreciate customer feedback.

Kind regards,

Paul Online Support

• 12:21

Paul Lowe
    I don't have multiple devices connected, just the Sky Q via the HDMI lead to HDMI 1. When sky audio is set to Dolby over HDMI within the Sky Q box, straight to the sky box awful. As I have said the lip sync is fine when I connect to my denon receiver. Same thing when I connect my blue ray player, fine through my receiver but sync awful when I connect it directly by HDMI. This tells me that there is nothing wrong with the Sky Q or my Blue ray player as they play perfectly going through my receiver. When I pass through the receiver (put receiver into standby), it sends all signals through to the TV, the sync is out. What i can not understand is why the TV does not have a delay function. This tells me there is nothing wrong with the Sky box or blue ray as they work with the receiver but not when direct to the TV. Seeing as you do not have any solutions the TV is going back. Paul.
When playing the sound through the amp you need to delay the audio to sync with the video. But when going direct to the TV you do not want to delay the audio. Is the Sky box providing the audio delay to match the amp so that when you bypass the amp you lose AV sync?

The problem you describe would happen with any TV from any manufacturer where the video is heavily processed by the TV (= every modern TV) except usually it is the other way round: synced without amp and out-of-sync with amp -- which is why I think something is providing an audio delay somewhere else in your set-up.

When I connect the Sky q (and blue ray) direct to my av and av to tv via the ARC and listen using the AV all perfect. At times I do not want to listen through my amp but to just pass through to the TV, then I get the bad lyp sync. I then plugged into the TV from the sky q box, and not using my amp, I get bad lip sync. I tried the same with my blue ray and exactly the sami issue. I was using the sky HDMI lead and also tried a 2.0a lead, to no avail. When playing Netflix through the onboard app no probs. The only way to fix this is by setting the audio settings in the sky box the normal instead of DD, and when one paye that amount for a TV one would have though it should be able to work properly strait out of the box.

Y
When playing the sound through the amp you need to delay the audio to sync with the video. But when going direct to the TV you do not want to delay the audio. Is the Sky box providing the audio delay to match the amp so that when you bypass the amp you lose AV sync?

The problem you describe would happen with any TV from any manufacturer where the video is heavily processed by the TV (= every modern TV) except usually it is the other way round: synced without amp and out-of-sync with amp -- which is why I think something is providing an audio delay somewhere else in your set-up.
When I play through the amp no problem with sound, its when I play direct (or pass through) to the TV using DD in the Sky Q box. Same with my Blue Ray. I have to go into the sky q to set the audio to standard. There is no delay function in the TV and you can only use the delay for optical out, which does work ok when connect from sky q to my amp, again by passing the TV. I had a Samsung js8000 before which with the same setup did not have this issue.

Since day one I've had lip sync problems with DD. But I bought a splitter box which fixed this, it's a work around which you shouldn't have to dude but it stops the headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom