Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Question Panasonic DX700 & playing 4K MKV

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Durandle, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Durandle

Durandle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I have a shiny new Panasonic 58DX700 and thought I'd try playing some 4K MKV samples on it, lacking any other 4K content to try it with right now. What I am finding is that it plays the first few seconds smoothly then freeze frames while playing the audio, the picture then updates now and then. This seems to happen as soon as there is a large change to the on screen image and never recovers. Am I missing a setting or something, because I would expect the hardware decoder in the TV to handle this just fine. The video stream is H.265 and the audio is DTS-5.1 (or so the file info says).

I have tried this on USB stick, over fast wifi and even with an Ethernet cable direct from a NAS storage device, so I dont think its I/O related.

Would love to hear from anyone who has this working or knows something about why it is perhaps doing this.

2. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,981
    According to the DX700 manual DTS audio is not supported in that scenario.

You could try converting the audio track to Dolby or AAC stereo and see if the same video plays remuxed with the new audio.

3. Durandle

Durandle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In case anyone comes across this and wonders what I did, I re-encoded the audio to another format (AAC) but this didn't solve the issue. Given I was using the fastest possible IO on the TV to stream the file, I must conclude the TV it self is not actually able to handle high-bandwidth 4K HDR file streams. I could reduce the quality of the file but that'd defeat the purpose of what I I'm trying to do.

Basically I gave up and moved on, watched it from BluRay. I've not been terribly impressed with the DX700, especially as they announced the TV OS was end-of-life the week after I bought it. I was sold a lemon. I can't afford to replace it any time soon though, so there we go.