1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DVX100 vs Sony VX2000

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Tunes Man, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I own a Sony VX2000, and I've heard a lot of people talking about the Panasonic DVX100 3chip camcorder and what it can do.
    My question is, does anyone out there own either one of these cameras and which do you prefer and why. People are raving about the Panny dvx because it can shoot in 24fps or "film like mode". The Sony doesn't have this capability but it does have some nice features and takes great video. I kind of wish it had the
    24fps feature that the Panny has but it is possible to slow the shutter speed down with the Sony and get maybe similar results.
    Any feed back would be welcome. Thanks, Tunes Man.
  2. Mr.D

Jul 14, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I've not used one myself but I've heard very good things about the panasonic. The european version captures in 25p (not 24). It depends what you want it for. If you intend to transfer to film it could be a contender. Its a lot bigger than I expected in the flesh. Nice leica lens on it too. The canon XL1s also capture in 25p but its a more interpolated image: however you do have the advantage of swapable lenses.

The panasonic still only has 4x3 CCDs . I would have liked 16x9. The canon does have some anamorphic adaptors available, I'm not sure if they would work with the panasonic....I doubt it.

My mate reckons the sony PD150 is still better image quality wise and if you want frame based material there are some decent motion analysis based software deinterlacers available for about 100quid.