• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DVI input boards question

SMCC

Standard Member
I am looking for a TY-42TM6D for my good old PWD6.
If anyone who has one of these boards could tell me what number is printed on the circuit board or stamped above the DVI connector I'd be really grateful.

The number stamped on the face plate should be visible without removing the board from the panel.

e.g. a TY-FB11DD (like the one I've bought in error) has the number TNPA4052 printed on the circuit board along the top internal edge and TUWF135 stamped into the face plate above the DVI connector.

Alternatively can anyone identify which DVI board bears the codes TNPA4532 and TUWF223?

:confused:

SMCC

Standard Member
- because I have found another board for sale but want to confirm it is a TM6D before buying it. Often they don't seem to have the sticker bearing the model number attached...

badkarma

Established Member
- because I have found another board for sale but want to confirm it is a TM6D before buying it. Often they don't seem to have the sticker bearing the model number attached...

Ah I see, good luck with the sale then.

Also they come up quite often on the classifieds if it doesn't pan out.

PS: You considered HDFury ?

SMCC

Standard Member
I am a bit ignorant of HDfury - I believe it's an HDMI to VGA connector allowing 1080p output from say a blu-ray player?

-I'm looking to connect a computer via DVI to my panel for use as a monitor and thought a DVI board might provide a cleaner picture than VGA. I also hoped I might be able to establish 1:1 pixel mapping via this route but from what I've read it's not always straightforward.

badkarma

Established Member
I am a bit ignorant of HDfury - I believe it's an HDMI to VGA connector allowing 1080p output from say a blu-ray player?

-I'm looking to connect a computer via DVI to my panel for use as a monitor and thought a DVI board might provide a cleaner picture than VGA. I also hoped I might be able to establish 1:1 pixel mapping via this route but from what I've read it's not always straightforward.

From a PC you should be able to pixel map over DVI or VGA directly but only at 60Hz, so if your playing back 50Hz material (assuming your using it at times for TV/DVD viewing) you may have some motion issues through the framerate conversion.

HDFury is essentially a DVI to VGA converter, the input port on it is DVI, using an HDMI > DVI cable or HDMI > DVI adapter on the end of an HDMI cable HDFury becomes HDMI > VGA converter.

However if you PC has a VGA output there isn't much reason not to use this directly, the only issue is the D/A conversion but it will still look very good albeit maybe not as 'clean' as the all digital route.

Of course you may be using the VGA input already !

SMCC

Standard Member
Thanks badkarma, that's really helpful. I hadn't appreciated the 50/60Hz issue. I am already using VGA for PC>panel so the HDFury probably offers little benefit as I'll be converting D/A, A/D in the signal path which I should avoid with a DVI input.

My assumption that the plasma will look better fed a DVI signal is largely based on my experience with LCD computer monitors which always seem to benefit from being run with DVI signal at native resolution. I guess some of this may be due to the limitations of graphics card D/A conversion supplying the VGA output and the situation may not be the same with a plasma panel but I thought it worth a try. Being constrained to 60 Hz may limit any potential gains - more reading required, I think!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom