Panasonic dvds35/55/75 DVD-R/RW?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Howc, May 3, 2003.

1. Howc

Howc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Does anyone have a Panny DVD S35/55/75 and managed to get it to play DVD-R or RW burnt on a PC burner? If so what brand of disk are you using and what software are you using?

I just got my S75 but it doesnt want to play either-R /RW burnt on my Pioneer A05 using Datasafe -R disks and TDK -RW, which is a shame because I was looking for a player that supports -RW.

Ive looked at the dvd player compatibility list at dvdhelp.com and it would appear that many people have had success with both -r and rw disks but perhaps they all use standalone dvd recorders rather than burners?

I realise there are a million and one reasons and solutions to the problem so Im interested to see what results others have got. BTW All my disks play great in an Panny RV62.

Thanks in advance

Howard

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Can't comment on the model your using or on it's ability to play DVD-RW disks. However I would suggest trying a variety of DVD-R just to see if it's the make of DVD-Rs the player doesn't like rather than DVD-Rs in general. If it still doesn't work the machine is obviously faulty or needs a firmware upgrade.

The fact your DVD-Rs are burnt on a PC shouldn't make any difference (the E20/30/50 is effectively just a set top box built around a PC drive) assuming they have been finalised properly and a decent burning application has been used (i.e. Nero 5.5 or later). The fact that they play on your other machine seems to suggest this criteria has been met.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It has to be either burning software (most likely), lables (high chance) or media brand.

If you are using nero this has to be the first thing you change. Nero is famous for making the least compatible disks. Even the newest versions have caused poblems for some people. record now max (probably the best) and prassi primo dvd are by far the best programs to use. By using a different program you narrow down the problems hugely.

If you wish to continue using nero however, you should use the dvd-rom (udf/iso) option and just drag your audio_ts and video_ts files in and burn. Making sure you have a audio and video_ts folder is important for compatibility on standalones.

Also make sure you don't label your dvds.

Other than that I would agree with rasczak about trying other brands of dvd-r.

4. Howc

Howc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys guys, Im pretty confident the dvd-rs are ok, Ive tried them in my old Tosh 210 as well as a Pioneer, Sony, and as I said a Panny, all they all play them Ok except my S75.

I usually burn them with nero but always at UDF1.02 and yes I do make sure I have an audio and Video_ts folder, Ive never had a problem yet.

Its interesting that looking around the net the general consensus is that the new pannys are just as good at playing -r/rw's as the old, which makes me wonder if Rasczak is right about my player being faulty. that said il try some different brands of media too.

5. Howc

Howc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I take everything I said in my last post back. I decided to reburn some disks using DVD workshop and the results are a success! Both the -R and RW play really well on the S75 including my cheap Datasafe RW's. Ive also tried nero with Imgtools and that works well too. Ive yet to try Recordnowmax as the demo expired a few months back but I will when I get a chance.

So it does look like Nero is the problem afterall but I would also say that the it would appear that the new Pannys are less compatible with -r/rw than the old RV range. Or perhaps its just me?

6. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know, I noticed the new pioneers are far less compatible with dvd'rs. Hope this isn't a trend :(

7. Howc

Howc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Ferris. I was hoping that it was a case of the new Pannys being more compatible with their RAM recorders rather than less compatible in general, but with comments made in another post about AVLand shipping their multi region S35's as region 2 because of Panasonic, I dont think the trend is a good one.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my s35 (multi from multiregion magic) seems to play -R fine although I have only tried ones recorded form E30

9. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a feeling the panny players play dvd-rs recorded on set top dvd recorders better than pc recordersw. But I might be wrong. I had actually heard that the panny players were very compatible though.