1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DVDLX9 & DVDA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aimprod, Mar 11, 2004.

1. aimprod

aimprod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chaps,

here's one to stretch someones knowledge, or see if anyone from Panasonics tec. dept. logs in - if so why no replies from phone messages or email?

So... does anyone know if this machine sends 96/24 digitaly, I want to use an external DA unit I have to listen to stereo tracks on a very small number of DVDA's that have these tracks on them.

It looks a really sexy machine, and if it does this I'm there with the cheque book.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I have one of these but no DVD-A's ! If there is a way of checking otherwise I will test for you.

Otherwise I'll give the manual a thorough read for you tonight and let you know.

But to save you the deliberation, if you are thinking of buying this machine anyway, do not think, just buy it. Absolutely stonking state of the art portable dvd.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Due to digital rights management issues(copyright),no DVD-A capable machines currently output unencrypted 96/24 DVD-A information via their digital outputs....as far as I am aware!

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    aimprod,

The normal coaxial and optical digital outputs don't have enough bandwidth to carry DVD-A signals. Also, the record companies will only allow encrypted digital DVD-A signals over iLink and Denon Link. I'm afraid you are stuck with using the stereo analogue phono outputs on your player. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. aimprod

aimprod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chaps,

thanks for the replies, just to fill you in on what I know, there are a few players out there that will output stereo 96/24 digitaly. the Panasonic DVD-S55, definatly does it, as do the Pioneer Elite machines, though these are both US models.

The other model I know does it is the LX9's predecessor the DVD-LA95. I suspect that they don't like publising these facts as maybe the music industry doesn't like it. Before you ask, the reason I'm not hunting one of these out is that in other respects the LX9 seems much sexier, and I do want my cake and eat it!

The restrictions on the digital outputs as far as technical restrictions go is that, a coax will output stereo all the way up to 192K. The optical works reliably in stereo up 96/24, and sometimes will do 192, though sometimes is no good for anyone.

These outputs will not though go anywhere near hi res for 5.1