1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic dvd-s97 or Samsung DVD-HD950

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by s1mmo, Jun 21, 2005.

1. s1mmo

s1mmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Choice is:
    1. Go and pick-up a Panny S97 today (my local richer sounds is holding one for me)
    or
    2. Wait until Samsung release the new HD950 sometime in the next couple of weeks.....ZZZzzzzzzz

Is it gonna be better than the Panny ????

2. s1mmo

s1mmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gents I really do need help with this..

My concern is although I've heard alot of good things about the S97 I am concerned about some macroblocking that has been mentioned previously and the fact that I may have to upgrade the firmware to fix this!

and it would seem the new samsung judging by the spec is also going to be top quality ?????

as it stands I think I'll cancel my order at Richer sounds for the S97 and be patient!! :suicide:

3. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The macroblocking in S97 has been fixed with the firmware upgrade. If you buy a palyer produced this year, the chances are that the firmware that comes in is already the latest version. In any case, upgrading the firmware is a very easy process and can not be considered as a negative point.

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Yep, I can confirm this. Bought an S97 only the other week from Richer Sounds and it had a two generations old firmware in it. Downloaded the latest firmware, stuck it on a CD-R and put it in the drive. Three minutes later it was done, no fuss, no muss. Set all the settings they recommended for PAL users (ie setting NTSC output to NTSC, not PAL60 etc). And best of all the multi-region hack was still all present and correct, R1 RCE discs still no problem at all. :)

Regards

Mark

5. Steve Rollings

Steve Rollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

Can you tell me where you got the firmare from ?

Steve

6. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
  7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The firmware upgrade makes a HUGE difference. I was going to send the player back before that because of the block noise swimming around on dark scenes. It's gone now.

8. Steve Rollings

Steve Rollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

Thanks for that. I thought it gone wrong when I had no picture then realised it defaulted back to S-video

9. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Don't think mine did, but then I had it on HDMI at the time which seems to do its own thing no matter what.

Regards

Mark

10. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can any owners confirm whether or not this outputs 768P to match native resolution of LCD (or am I not likely to see a difference between that and 720P)?

Thanks....

Dave

11. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Mine (purchased from Richer approx 6 weeks ago) also had 528, I upgraded to 536 at the weekend (scary upgrade, too many pauses for my liking :eek: ).....

I still get a few anomalies, has anyone upgraded to the 540 firmware? The note about PAL issues got me a little worried, so I went for the 536 instead.

12. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got my 950 pre-ordered. Looks great in black too.

13. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Samsung HD950 does not have Faroudja so do not even bother. Get Panasonic.

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I've seen much comment that the Faroudja deinterlacer is not without issue.

If someone is so bothered about such things they should be in the market for a separate scaler. I'm sure the 950 when it appears will be a good performer...PJ :)

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    There are several issues with the Faroudja chipsets but they are cheap and do work well (with a few faults). They are however probably better suited to scalers than DVD players (film vs video thing). To make this an over riding decision on a player is wrong, there is much more to performance than one chip.

I have Faroudja players here but they would NOT be my first choice for deinterlacing for me.

16. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As far as deiterlacing Faroudja is the best. Silicon Image chip comes close. Any others are pretty much flag readers and they comb. The only issue that Faroudja has is that on some displays you may see slight macroblocking. There are no other issues. Especially for anybody that has a lot of PAL discs using Faroudja or Silicon Image based player is critical. 99% of PAL discs are flagged wrong as video and they will comb like crazy on anything that is flag reading.

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A lovely black and white answer but is it correct? Does Faroudja work as well with film and video? No. Similarly does SIL504. No. or any of the deinterlacing technologies?. They all have strengths and weaknesses. This I think I managed to show at The Event 11 in the scaler room where a comparison on these technologies was done, including many of the usual suspects. Faroudja was 'down' the list as far as most were concerned.

Macro blocking is a complete killer for many for buying players / video processors. Macroblock will kill a purchase stone dead, and it is all down to the Faroudja chip set. Period. All Faroudja chips suffer from this, though some products like Crystalio handle this very well, many even expensive DVD players using this chip set do not. I am also not a fan of the 'crush of details' that this chip does or how the old Faroudja processors dealt with component inputs. It is good on video material however which is wy I think it is better placed in displays and video processors where there devices deal with more video material as opposed to largely film based sources. No chip is perfect and Faroudja is better than many but it is CERTAINLY NOT in a class of it's own re deinterlacing, unlike 5 years ago. It is however very good a video material, it is a pity most of my DVD, laserdiscs, DTheatre are film based :). The 504 I have always felt to be a better for films, good with it's copro, better with custom silicon (Lumagen). Both are long in the tooth nowdays however. There are many others out there. KD might also have something to say as my SDI equipped Faroudja player is significantly better not using the Faroudja installed. This is particularly the case where we don't just analyse waving flags but throw some 'real' material at the deinterlacers. It also can deinterlace 1080i which is the norm for many now, particularly your side of the pond. I haven't even mentioned Snell and Wilcocks (the best?), Teranez, Silicon Optics Realta, Gennum vxp, and even some of the bargain basement integrated chip sets are showing much better performance nowdays, no longer doing bob and weave nand flag reading. Things are moving on big time in this area (except 1080i) and the Faroudja is just one of several of the better options out there, albit an old one nwdays, with a macroblock fatal flaw.