Panasonic DVD-S53 unresponsive? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjl422

Standard Member
Reaction score
The problem that I am having is: When I put a DVD in the player, it goes to the disk menu screen and stalls.

The remote and front panel buttons are unresponsive. So, the DVD stops on the menu screen and can't go any further.

I tried doing the reset holding play+stop+power on thr front panel and nothing happened. Is there smething else I can try? Is there a firmware download available for this model (couldn't seem to find one) or is it just a paperweight at this point?

The problem that I am having is: When I put a DVD in the player, it goes to the disk menu screen and stalls.

The remote and front panel buttons are unresponsive. So, the DVD stops on the menu screen and can't go any further.

I tried doing the reset holding play+stop+power on thr front panel and nothing happened. Is there smething else I can try? Is there a firmware download available for this model (couldn't seem to find one) or is it just a paperweight at this point?

Unplug it from the mains and leave it 20 seconds then re-try.

I have the same problem. It began after flashing the unit with an upgrade found on the internet. I tried to re-flash the unit with an official upgrade from panasonic canada, but the official upgrade was a lower version than the one I applied so the unit ignored it.

It seems that the firmware for the DVD-S53 is completely different from the other models (I thought that maybe the S52 firmware will function on my S53). So are the service modes and Button-Keys combinations.

Being a newbie on this subject, I think that there are two solutions to this problem:

a) Send the unit to Panasonic so they could perform a factory reset (which involves, no doubt, re-flashing the unit). Remember that flashing the unit with anything un-official kills the warranty, so be prepared to shell out.

b) Wait until someone on the net comes up with a way to downgrade from this infamous upgrade. Currently, there are no groups working on custom upgrades for the Panny S53. So be careful.

If I find anything that can help, I'll post it here.

BTW, unplugging the unit did nothing in my case.

Greets.

I have the same problem. It began after flashing the unit with an upgrade found on the internet. I tried to re-flash the unit with an official upgrade from panasonic canada, but the official upgrade was a lower version than the one I applied so the unit ignored it.

It seems that the firmware for the DVD-S53 is completely different from the other models (I thought that maybe the S52 firmware will function on my S53). So are the service modes and Button-Keys combinations.

Being a newbie on this subject, I think that there are two solutions to this problem:

a) Send the unit to Panasonic so they could perform a factory reset (which involves, no doubt, re-flashing the unit). Remember that flashing the unit with anything un-official kills the warranty, so be prepared to shell out.

b) Wait until someone on the net comes up with a way to downgrade from this infamous upgrade. Currently, there are no groups working on custom upgrades for the Panny S53. So be careful.

If I find anything that can help, I'll post it here.

BTW, unplugging the unit did nothing in my case.

Greets.

Sorry to say but thats what you get for putting a firmware on your machine from a totally different machine. You`ve now trashed it and the only solution is for a repair centre to erase and re-instate the unit to its original status. You cannot simply reinstate the firmware, you`ve installed a hacked firmware from a totally different machine, so even the correct firmware won`t load as your machines firmware is incorrect.

BTW, The "upgrade" that did this to my panny was "Panasonic_DVD-S53_UOP_and_Region_Free_Firmware_402.zip" posted by Panasite (?) in another forum. So please, do not fall as I did.

Greets.

BTW, The "upgrade" that did this to my panny was "Panasonic_DVD-S53_UOP_and_Region_Free_Firmware_402.zip" posted by Panasite (?) in another forum. So please, do not fall as I did.

Greets.

Same happened to me. Used that firmware and not it locks on dvd's main menu and doesn't even reconize other region dvd's. :(

Anyway to fix it?

Same happened to me. Used that firmware and not it locks on dvd's main menu and doesn't even reconize other region dvd's. :(

Anyway to fix it?

Sorry to say this again, but thats how you trash your machine by not heeding advice from others and sticking to the offical way of modding your machine, via a clone of the factory service remote.

Only fix is to take it to a panasonic service center and have them reinstate the original official firmware after erasing the currupt one.

if in doubt, don`t mess about and see the "looking for a hack - start here" sticky at the top of these forums for the correct way to mod these machines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah same here bottons on the front and on the remote don't work anymore...
Normaly i read a lot first but i found this firmware on a lot of sites...
Even in the newsgroups...

panasonic_dvd-s33_uop_and_region_free_firmware_399
Panasonic_DVD-S53_UOP_and_Region_Free_Firmware_402
panasonic_dvd-s54_uop_and_region_free_firmware_470
panasonic_dvd-s325_uop_and_region_free_firmware_377

And if all are faulty people with S33 S54 and S325 are going to have the same problem i guess.

Is there a way to get a firmware out of a new dvdplayer ?
Because then i buy myself another one and take it from there... Dunno if that is possible...

If any one has or has or will in the future find a firmware
please post it...

Firmware for thr DVD-S53 Panasonic Original

I am going to try my luck at panasonic...

Rob

As i read the message upstairs, i have to agree to this :(

I found one site :

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/customercare/downloads.asp

Here you can download original firmware but too bad...
The dvd players say's "No Update Needed"

So i hate to tell this but i think it's an brick.
And i am going to buy myself a new one.

Hope u all are carefull in the future, I will ;)

As before, only fix is via an official service center and spending money.....

If you don`t use the correct way to mod your player (service remote or clone off) then this is what happens......:rotfl:

Yeah same here bottons on the front and on the remote don't work anymore...
Normaly i read a lot first but i found this firmware on a lot of sites...
Even in the newsgroups...

panasonic_dvd-s33_uop_and_region_free_firmware_399
Panasonic_DVD-S53_UOP_and_Region_Free_Firmware_402
panasonic_dvd-s54_uop_and_region_free_firmware_470
panasonic_dvd-s325_uop_and_region_free_firmware_377

And if all are faulty people with S33 S54 and S325 are going to have the same problem i guess.

Is there a way to get a firmware out of a new dvdplayer ?
Because then i buy myself another one and take it from there... Dunno if that is possible...

If any one has or has or will in the future find a firmware
please post it...

Firmware for thr DVD-S53 Panasonic Original

I am going to try my luck at panasonic...

Rob

Quiet interesting...

From what I can see now these are non-activated versions of our community firmware.

To give you an explanation about what happened here:

We are running a community with the goal to enhance all types of Panasonic DVD/Blu-Ray firmware.

As a benefit for contributing to the community members have the possibility to download enhanced firmware for their devices. This possibility exists only for community members. We don't provide any of our current enhanced firmware versions to the public !

The download mechanism for these enhanced firmware files is driven by a download script which produces the enhanced versions on the fly by applying the required changes to the original firmware files. This is called "activation" on our site.

If the script detects that the user who tries to download the enhanced firmware is not eligible to use the firmware the script will apply another set of changes which produces exactly the opposite effects compared to the advertised enhancements.

This means that a firmware which is advertised to be UOP and region free becomes a firmware with locked region and UOP's always enforced.

The bottom line from the above explanation is that a person who is not eligible has tried to download enhanced firmware from our community site, got crap because of a non-authorized download and uploaded this crap to public sites later on.

The only fix for this is to install the correctly activated enhanced firmware.

I'm sorry for the people who installed this stuff but this is what you get for expecting everything to be "free".

Hope this helps.

Quiet interesting...

From what I can see now these are non-activated versions of our community firmware.

To give you an explanation about what happened here:

We are running a community with the goal to enhance all types of Panasonic DVD/Blu-Ray firmware.

As a benefit for contributing to the community members have the possibility to download enhanced firmware for their devices. This possibility exists only for community members. We don't provide any of our current enhanced firmware versions to the public !

The download mechanism for these enhanced firmware files is driven by a download script which produces the enhanced versions on the fly by applying the required changes to the original firmware files. This is called "activation" on our site.

If the script detects that the user who tries to download the enhanced firmware is not eligible to use the firmware the script will apply another set of changes which produces exactly the opposite effects compared to the advertised enhancements.

This means that a firmware which is advertised to be UOP and region free becomes a firmware with locked region and UOP's always enforced.

The bottom line from the above explanation is that a person who is not eligible has tried to download enhanced firmware from our community site, got crap because of a non-authorized download and uploaded this crap to public sites later on.

The only fix for this is to install the correctly activated enhanced firmware.

I'm sorry for the people who installed this stuff but this is what you get for expecting everything to be "free".

Hope this helps.
Noted PanaFeak.

I do understand why your community would want to guard its work from unauthorized use, but, How about throwing us a bone here? How about releasing a fix that would revert us to our previous state? I am sure that most (if not all) of the users here have fallen unwittingly into panasite's (or whatever his name is) "prank". Of course, you are entitled to decline this request, but give it a thought. Rest assured that we have learned our lesson about the dangers of "free stuff" on the internet.

Short

Same problem here. Would be much appreciated if someone can provide a file.:thumbsup:

Don't believe the story PanaFreak posted. He is actually the one who made and released these fake firmware files. He is better known under the name Tom. His website is located here.

For more information about this, see the Panasonic DVD Devices Info Site.

Amazing how many people keep posting misleading rubbish here.

Fact is, the only correct way to mod your Pana player without risking bricking it is via the CORRECT method, this being the factory service remote (or a copy of the commands via a similar device, i.e OFA, PDA, Pronto). None of the Panasonic models are designed to be modded via a HACKED FIRMWARE UPDATE, but by non-obtrusive factory remote commands only.

As discussed many times on these forums and even shown in the "looking for a hack start here" sticky at the top of these forums.

Using firmware files, or any other method, YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom