1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DVD-S47 Multi-Region??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by heelsie, Dec 8, 2004.

1. heelsie

heelsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I have just been given a brand new boxed Panasonic DVD-S47 which is supposed to be multi region.However I cant get it to play even R2 discs.I have been through the user guide and set the "Rating" to "8 No Limit" within the "Disc set up menu" which is what I think is an all region setting and all I get is a screen message "This disc may not be played in your region".

This same message appears also when I set it to "2".

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this matter.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    On my Panny s75 the 'rating' on the user guide is to do with the certificate rating of the disk - ie it is a type of parental lock to prevent your 10 year olds watching your stash of 18 certificate XXX movies. Most parents will probably need their 10 year olds though to actually do the settings so it is kind of pointless.

I am not an expert on multiregion - never got round to doing it for my player - but if it is multi-region there shouldnt be any 'settings' to change as the player should automatically detect the region and change to suite. Sounds to me like it isnt a multiregion player that you have there and should take it back to the vendor.

3. heelsie

heelsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for clearing up the "Rating" issue. I agree that its possible it may not be multi-region but I can`t even get it to play R2,but it will play CD-audio so I`m not sure what to do apart from take it back as you suggest?

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    A friend of mine used to work for a slightly less reputable company and they used to buy in cheaper boxes from other countries which were not R2 but had voltage switches and then applied the region code hack.

If your retailer has done this but the hack hasnt 'taken' it could explain why it wont play region 2 but as I say I havent ventured into the multiregion world and so do not know the ins and outs

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If it cannot play region 2 it sounds like a duff player and needs replacing.

6. RebeccaE

RebeccaE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this is still a problem but I have had this problem and rung panasonic. They said multi-region for this player means only region 1 & 2!!! go figure...this to me is not actually multi-region. Anyway, I mentioned I had read on the web that you can get the player modified (which they don't recommend) but I rang some places on their list of service agents and they said they can do it. The price range seems to be from 40 - 60quid! I have found some sites that will send out a chipped remote for rental and do it yourself......havent tried it yet though.