Panasonic DVD-S35 problem & RAM to DVD-r set up/connection problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CrazyHorse, Jun 18, 2003.

1. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Has anyone got the new Panasonic S35 player, as I have a problem with mine.

Bought it last week from Multiregionmagic (complete with VCR mode) but have only just had the time to hook it up to my system and try it out tonight. I bought it to go with my E50 recorder to enable me to edit RAM discs properly and then dub onto -r's. I have both of these machines + a Sony VHS hooked up to each other so I can finally begin to archive much of my video collection.

Things seemed fine at first - I put a couple of DVD's in the S35 to test it and they played fine (both R1 & 2). I then changed the TV Set Up to Letter-Box in the S35 menu as I'm only using a 14inch portable as a monitor for now. This caused a problem (not sure how) as it would now only playback in Black & White - I thought this may be an NTSC issue, but then it played a R1 in colour the first time. I tried a Ram disc that I'd recorded some VHS stuff on and once again it was in B & W!

Very puzzling, but I assumed it was still a connections problem and I would find the answer with a little patience.

This is where I got a bit more concerned - I realised that the remotes for both the E50 and S35 controlled the basic features of both machines eg; Off/On/Standby/Open/Close, etc.

After opening both disc trays by accident with one remote (!) I manually pressed the Close button on the S35, whereupon the word CLOSE stayed displayed in the window. I then pressed Open on the S35 only to find its display now read OPEN - the drawer however stayed shut.

I pressed the Off button and after a couple of seconds delay the display changed briefly to BYE, then OFF and then blank.

I left the player Off for a few minutes and then manually pressed On. I was greeted by WELCOME TO DVD WORLD scrolling right to left on the display and then it went blank - Open/Close do not work nor do any other functions either manual or via the remote, apart from On/Off/Standby.

I tried unplugging from the mains for a few minutes, but it had no effect.

My new S35 appears to be dead!

I'm aware that there have been a few bugs with the new Panasonic recorders (although I've had no probs with my E50 so far) and I wonder if there are similar ones with their new players?
    Any ideas how I can get this thing working again without me having to contact MRM and (potentially) going through a load of hassle?

If anyone can shed some light on any of these problems I would be most grateful - the B&W playback is secondary to my player being non-functional (although help with any connection tips would also be welcome).

2. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    The black/white issue looks like a set up prob.
    Is the player set up for rgb out ?. Does the monitor accept this signal ?
    I had the same prob last week when useing my new E50 and S75 player with one remote operating both machines ( it cracked me up).
    In set up on the E50 (via functions screen) change the remote setting to dvd remote 2.Followow the instructions in the manual carefully.
    This ensures that the E50 remote only controls that machine.
    Not sure about the rest of the problem

3. lemonhead

lemonhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just on another issue with the S35. Has anyone had any problems with the amount of noise/vibration this player makes.

It's pretty noisy when loading, but when the discs actually start playback, mine vibrates like crazy on the TV stand it's on making a right old buzz . I have to lift the front of it up slightly for a few minutes until it settles down & goes away. You can feel the vibrations through your hand. Never used to happen with any previous player i've had.

Other than that i'm pretty pleased with it.

4. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    lurcher - the monitor is pretty old and I'm sure it doesn't accept an RGB signal. I did check the output settings to make sure it wasn't set up for RGB, but this doesn't explain why it played my R1 Assault on Precinct 13 first time in colour but then would only play B&W!

Thank for the tip with the remote problem - very helpful. :smashin:

lemonhead - I haven't had a chance to notice any problems with noise/vibration as my S35 is still 'dead'.

I've just rang Multiregionmagic and explained the problem. The guy I spoke to was equally baffled and said I'd have to repackage the machine and send it back to them so they could check it out themselves. :(

Oh well, I really thought I would be able to get stuck into my VHS archiving over the next few days as I have some free time, but no such luck.