Panasonic DVD Recorders

lurcher

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Son has asked me to look out for a s/h Panasonic Dvd recorder with freeview and SD slot to view/record AVCHD to Panasonics HDrive.
Not had one myself for a few yrs as I use the Blu ray recorders so bit unsure what models to look for

Any suggestions ? , dont think they will buy new , budget prob to £150 s/h

Thanks

Julian

Son has asked me to look out for a s/h Panasonic Dvd recorder with freeview and SD slot to view/record AVCHD to Panasonics HDrive.
Not had one myself for a few yrs as I use the Blu ray recorders so bit unsure what models to look for

Any suggestions ? , dont think they will buy new , budget prob to £150 s/h

Thanks

Julian

None of the 'standard' single tuner DVD recorders support AVCHD - which leaves only the twin HD Freeview tuner types... and there has only been one model (with two generations) which had a DVD drive.

So look for:

DMR-XW350 (EB)
DMR-XW380 (EB)

(The EB suffix is often tacit and just means 'for the UK territory')

I don't think either will be easy to get.

Thought as much , looks like they are out of luck then , do any of the single tuner SD Freeview models have a SD slot that accepts video footage and records it ( to SD ) ?

Julian

Thought as much , looks like they are out of luck then , do any of the single tuner SD Freeview models have a SD slot that accepts video footage and records it ( to SD ) ?

Julian

Of the current models only the EX83 has an SD card slot.

I don't think any DVD recorders have aver had, or ever will have the ability to send recordings OUT to SD card.

It is usual restriction that the only way to get off air recorded material out of a DVD recorder is via a disc medium.

The EX83 permits:

Transfer to HDD/ DVD: JPEG, MPEG2

from HDD/DVD: JPEG

Thanks Gavtech , didn"t mean recording to SD card , meant put footage in via SD card (avchd) and resulting footage on HD converts to Std Def for archiving .

* Just had a look at the E83 manual and it states AVCHD footage on SD card cant be copied , presumably not even to Std def.

Julian

Last edited:
Thanks Gavtech , didn"t mean recording to SD card , meant put footage in via SD card (avchd) and resulting footage on HD converts to Std Def for archiving .

Julian

That brings us back to the original problem unfortunately.
None of the SD machines support AVCHD.

Such material would have to be pre-converted elsewhere before loading in such a way. Which is probably an operation that would produce disappointing results... and rather negates the point of AVCHD.

The only way to get such material onto one of these SD machines from an AVCHD source such as a camcorder would be to feed an analogue output from the camacorder (assuming it has one) and recording in real time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom