Panasonic DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by crol, Jun 28, 2005.

1. crol

crol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Panasonic DMR-es10. I have now discovered that to use the DVD-RW's in another machine you have to finalise the disk first, which renders the disk 'Play only'. You cannot rewrite on it again. Defeats the object of having rewriteables. Is this correct and is there anything else I can do to ensure I can rewrite to the disks again.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    You can format the disc and start again so you can re-write on the discs - 'finalise' doesn't mean you can't ever record on the disc again (it does for DVD-Rs). You just can't add new material to a finalised disc without erasing what is already on the disc. Thus if you want to keep something on the disc you either have to use another DVD-RW or use DVD-RAM.

IMHO for watching and wiping your best off using DVD-RAM as that enables you to add recordings/delete recordings without finalising as well as timeslip (etc) - the limitations being DVD-RAM compatible DVD players are few and far between (Panasonic, JVC, NAD are the main producers) and is so not ideal if you want to watch a programme on an (e.g.) upstairs DVD player.

3. crol

crol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I have done as you suggested and it works fine. I even contacted Panasonic and they didn't give me as good a service.

4. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any offair stuff I record onto DVD-RAM, I can then pull the ads, etc. and copy it onto a DVD-R for other family members, etc. or just to watch it myself.

I just cannot be faffed with PC editing, so the Panasonic machines are perfect for me.

I have two Panny DVD recorders and a Panny DVD player, all of which will play DVD-RAM.

DVD-RAM is the dogs......