1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DVD-recorder with Freeview now available?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by W99, Jul 16, 2005.

1. W99

W99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Someone in another forum has mentioned that the Panasonic DMR-ES20, which apparently has integrated Freeview, is available now at Unbeatable:

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_26093.html

However, some of the features in the list don't seem to add up (EPG and Progressive Scan aren't ticked, for example). Is this due to the fact that it's brand new and therefore the features haven't been updated?

2. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Expensive, lxdirect.com/.co.uk do it for £269.99

3. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Has anyone been able to order this new recorder off the shelf yet? I know Panasonic have it in stock but their price is too high (£299). I tried ordering from Empiredirect at £258 but they have now told me its on 1-2 week delivery???

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    It's not shipping until 20th July (except for Panasonic retailers)!

5. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks, Rasczak

6. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Just talked to Electricaldiscountuk and they assure me they have the E20D in stock ready for delivery now. At a price of £249.99 + £3.99 delivery thats got to be the cheapest at the mo.

7. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well, received this baby today ... excellent product so far! It has both analogue and DVB tuner so if you havnt yet got Freeview you can still use it as an analogue recorder until you upgrade or your area is upgraded to Freeview.

Thoughts so far:
    It tuned in the Freeview channels no problem for me although I am missing the two music channels and history channel at the moment but as I do not care about these (have Sky) its not a problem.

Annoyingly the TV remote cannot also control my TV (Toshiba) for some reason?
    It does have progressive scan and TV Guide (EPG) for the digital stations.

Freeview picture quality is excellent, up there with Sky that I can tell in this short time. The onscreen signal strength meter (only available through menu option I think) shows max strength on my signal.

I have replaced my old Panny E30 with this E20D and have yet to use the new recording features which are standard on the E10 but am looking forward to the 1 second record time, full resolution LP and use of DVD-RW disks. :thumbsup:

8. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @mentsugi

Thanks for the post, that's nice to hear. :thumbsup:
    Are you able to use a Scart RGB connection with the FreeView Tuner ? I remember when I had my ES10, for some reason when I used the analog tuner the TV would switch to composite...

9. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi JoseD,
    You can have RGB in on Av2 and RGB out on AV1 to the TV.

After tuning is complete the onscreen channel displayed will be the one with the stronger signal for BBC1, 2, ITV1, C2 and C5 (either analog or digital). In my case this is the digital signal. There is a button on the remote to manually select either the analog signal or DVB signal and I dont believe pressing this button causes the signal to change from RGB.

Please let me know if the above is not what you need checked?

10. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Another bit of good news. On my old setup ... Sky box ==> AV2 of the Panny E30 if I set the Sky box to RGB output and accidentally pressed the 'TV' button the SKy box would switch to composite output thus causing a blank display on the Panny E30 AV2 input.

With the new E20D I have now changed it back to RGB out on the Sky box and pressing 'TV' button does cause a change in video output type but the Panny still displays the picture...hurrah...top quality picture again and no half recorded Sky programs :clap:

The AV2 option in the Panny ext link menu allows for an option of both RGB and Video . I guess this is the difference as the E30 only allows either RGB, compositeor video on AV2?

11. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Right, found the first downside. Did some recording last night on DVD-RW and while it recorded without problem the finalizing process is painfull. On my JVC DMR1MVS it can take up to 3 minutes max to finalize a -RW. I have made many recordings on DVD-RW and this is the normal time for the JVC. However on the Panny it can take up to 15 minutes. With a recording last night it took 6 minutes to finalize the disk! Definately not something you can do if you are in a hurry.
    Also on the JVC you unfinalize the disk before erasing the information or you can reformat. On the Panny the only option is to reformat the disk. Not sure what this will do to the life of the DVD-RW disk?
    I will be using DVD-RAM most of the time so its not a big problem but it certainly makes me think twice about using DVD-RW on this machine...or is that Panasonic's point :D

12. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    There is a JVC DVD Recorder with Freeview due soon. First stocks should be hitting the shops within the next week. Model number is DR-M150.

13. tp.white

tp.white
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Panasonic DMR-ES20 remote control code for toshiba tv`s is 16
    it works on my toshiba

Tom.....