1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DVD recorder question (unfinalized discs [from another DVD-Recorder] & HD)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DVD-RCollector, Mar 5, 2005.

1. DVD-RCollector

DVD-RCollector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I had a both a DVD-Recorder with a hard drive and a DVD-Recorder without one, could I take my un-finalized discs from the one without the HD to the recorder WITH the HD and just copy the shows from the disc to that recorder? :confused:

I'm not sure if you can do this, but I figured this would be the best place to ask! :smashin:

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    I have two pannys - one without HHD (an E20 which the kids use) and a E500 and I do this all the time with ram discs. They will use rams much like video tapes then decide they want to keep something, I'll transfer to my HD and clean it up (remove ads etc) then copy back to a dvd-r and finalise for them to keep. It worked fine with my previous HDD machines also (E100,HS2).
    I don't know if it would work using different makes of machines or if you can transfer using unfinalised dvd-r's though.
    Hope this has been helpful

3. DVD-RCollector

DVD-RCollector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has! :thumbsup: Very much so! :cool: Thank you! :smashin:

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfinalised dvd-r should play on other recorders of the same make,but not other makes.
    Most recorders allow unfinalised -R to be copied to HDD,only Pioneer allow finalised -R discs to be cloned.

5. DVD-RCollector

DVD-RCollector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference between "copying" and "cloning"? Isn't it the same thing? :confused:

6. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    The panny dmr e500 also lets you copy finalised and unfinalised dvd-r's to the harddrive - previous pannys would not let you do this

7. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an E85 and have copied -R and +R discs to the HD albeit in real time. Have then dubbed back to disc (High Speed), which surprised me.

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Panasonic machines allow copying of discs to HDD in real time ,this is not cloning.Pioneer recorders will do a high speed copy to HDD then back to -R to give you a 100% digital clone of your original disc.
    The Panasonic real time copies are not copied in the same way.The Pioneer Disc backup is identical to the original,same quality,same chapters,same menus -everything.Panasonic copying in this way,which Pioneer also do,results in quality loss.

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said,panasonic copies,it does not clone in the same way you would do on a Pioneer HDD/DVDR or a PC rewriter