Panasonic DVD Recorder formatting problem

Dalian

Standard Member
I want to transfer some Mini DV tapes to DVD and, having failed to achieve this using a laptop operating Windows 10, I'm trying with a DVD recorder now.
More specifically a Panasonic DMR-EZ49VEB, which I've borrowed off a relative. I've no problem feeding the signal from the camcorder, through the recorder, and out to the TV. My problem is that I can't get the blank DVD to format. It begins and then, after about 5 seconds, a message comes up saying that it's failed and inviting me to start again. I have tried a number of discs from 2 different makes. I am using +RW discs. The operating instructions haven't helped. Please can someone out there help.

Gavtech

Administrator
It is almost always due to poor quality discs.

It is possible that the laser sled is sticking - but very unlikely.

I'd say try more discs - but I would make two recommendations: Don't use + type discs. ( They have limitations in Japanese origin machines)... and dont use RW types. They are the most problematic.

Since you are evidently archiving - use an archiving type disc. DVD-R is most suitable

Dalian

Standard Member
A couple of the tapes contain family weddings. I merely want to transfer them onto DVDs so that they can have a copy. I'm not sure if this would count as archiving as they may want to use the disc as the basis for editing

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom