Panasonic DVD Recorder - E80H - Question?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr 928, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at buying one of these Panasonic E80H dvd recorders with the built in 80GB hard drive from the US when they get released sometime in July 2003 - however I have a few questions that need answering so any help would be gratefully received...

1. Some sites state that this machine will record/playback both NTSC and PAL - if so this should work ok here in the UK right?
    I know about the power difference, that's not a problem.

2. Can you edit stuff on the hard drive before you burn to DVD-R or DVD-RAM?

Any help would be gratefully received.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    There could be other problems aside from power. Connections, for example, could be an issue - does the E80 have RGB scart in (very useful if recording from Sky)? Also the analogue tuner wouldn't work. I would suggest going for the UK HS2 or the E90/100 when available.

Yes. It has the same functionality as any HDD/DVD-RAM combo. Record onto HDD, edit and dub to DVDR. You can also do high speed file transfers to and from DVD-RAM should you want to store the programmes prior to archiving. All in all a very flexible machine.

3. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the info Rasczak.
    Fair point about the RGB, not so fused about the tuner issue though - Will just use Sky / Cable anyhow!

Is the Panny the best player, or is it worth waiting for Pioneer to join the HDD/DVDR market?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    To be fair it's impossible to say until Pioneer release details of their upcoming products - for instance we do not know if it will use Flexible Bitrate or stick with the 32 odd recording modes yet.

In Japan around 70% of the PVR market is taken by HDD/DVD-RAM combos from Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi and JVC whereas only 15% is currently claimed by HDD/DVD-RW combos from Sony and Pioneer. Whether you take that as an indicator or not is up to you.

I would also suggest that with regards to core functions of the machines then there probably won't be that much difference - i.e. for each machine you will be able to dub to and from HDD, be able to use Timeslip, be able to edit recordings etc.

What is certain is both varieties of HDD/DVDR combo are/going to be highly flexible machines. You won't go wrong with either.

If you have the money now go and get the HS2. There are some bargains at the moment and HDD size doesn't really matter that much - most users just use it as temporary storage for editting before archiving. If your saving up then look to the E90/100 (which are eseentially updated HS2s).

If you can manage without RGB in <shudders> then I would urge you to look at the Toshiba HDD/DVD-RAM combo available now and for the bargain price of £530 (£100 cheaper than the HS2).

5. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have a DVD recorder yet Rasczak? If so, which one....?

I would rather go for the Pioneer (eventually when it comes out) having had a few Pioneer players (currently still got my Elite 05) so I know they are well put together.

Although that aside, I have been offered a Pioneer 7000 recorder for around £300 - which is tempting.....:eek:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Before I answer that I should point out I have been looking for the "ideal archiving solution" for sometime. Having experimented with DVHS I decided to let that pass so have been using an imported Betamax and SVHS since then.

I purchased the Philips DVDR1000 upon it's release in the UK. As a DVD player it was top notch but the editting features were fairly limited. After some testing I found the machine wasn't ideal for archiving (from VHS/SVHS). I also wanted to 'tweak' my recordings on my PC for which recordings in .VOB file format weren't that suitable.

I then purchased the Panasonic DMRE20. This provided a good solution for archiving from VHS/Betamax/SVHS as it had the VBR and FR. To get the best from the unit I purchased a Panasonic DVD burner for my PC and started getting some stunning results when recording straight to DVD-RAM, editting and then copying to PC.

However as I had now archived my VHS collection I sold the E20 (as it had no RGB in) and upgraded to the Panasonic HS2 which remains my primary DVD Recorder. I recently added a Panasonic E50 for my 'upstairs' system (which also has RGB in).

So, to answer your question, I have the following DVD Recording hardware:
    1 - Panasonic HS2
    2 - Panasonic E50
    3 - Philips DVDR1000
    4 - DVD Multi Burner (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R)

It may have cost a bit by I got where I wanted in the end :eek:

I wouldn't go for it if I were you. Go for a Pioneer model by all means (if thats what you want) but wait for the end of year releases. The 7000 is the same generation as the E20 - i.e. no RGB in. You can get a brand new, multi-region E50 for less than £300.

7. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all that. Looks like I'm gonna have to just hang on and see what happens!

I've got a DVD/RW Superdrive in my Mac, but it can't capture real time MPEG2, so I've gotta mess around capturing Digital Video and then encoding (using either Quick Time Pro or Cleaner 5.1), which takes forever.... Results are pretty good, plus it gives me the opportunity to add animated menus, encoded Dolby Digital 2 channel soundtracks (so it flags your processor), add commentaries, add pretty much everything a DVD authoring company can do, but it takes so god damn long. The DVD Recorder option sounds really appealing, but I'll probably end up waiting a little longer to see what occurs!!

Many thanks for all the help :smashin:

8. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

Hi. Cool post and your DVD Recording hardware is very extensive, may I ask what you use it for? I can hardly find time to watch DVD or Sky so do you actually work or is this your work?

Dave

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Sorry for the delay replying - I work away during the week and only really have internet access at weekends.

I use it for archiving series/programmes not available on DVD. A small selection of archived titles include Earth 2, Profit, Space: Above & Beyond, Tripods (Series 2), The Falklands Play, The Gathering Storm not to mention all my VHS titles that haven't/are unlikely to appear on Region 1/2 DVD such as Rhodes and ANZACs. I also act as a (part time) Dr Who recons dub site.

It may sound a bit 'sad' but it's my hobby :D