Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-E55 Internal Tuner Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scoobyd00, Jul 9, 2004.

1. scoobyd00

scoobyd00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a Panasonic DVD player/recorder DMR-E55 this week online. Since setting it up at home I've had problems with the sound on the internal tuner of the device.

Essentially the machine tunes all the terrestrial channels successfully from a picture point of view, but the audio doesn't seem to tune in with it, I simply get a static noise instead for each channel that it picks up, despite the rock steady picture.

I have a Freeview box attached to the player via SCART, and the sound that comes in through that device is fine, playing through the machine without any problems. However this obviously means that I can only record whatever the Freeview box is outputting if I want audio.

Bought/rented/burnt DVD's also play normally with no ill effects to the sound.

I've tried connecting it to different televisions, removing the Freeview box from the setup, and tried several sets of cables and nothing has resolved the situation.

I'm left to conclude that possibly I need to change a setting somewhere in the devices setup so that I hear the audio as intended through the internal tuner, or that perhaps the device is faulty.

As I want to be sure it's not something I'm doing wrong before I go to the trouble and expense of returning the product, I wondered if someone there could shed some light on the particular problem I'm having. Have I missed something obvious?

The machine has come from Pixmania who are in France - could the machine need a setting changing to make it UK friendly maybe? Pretty sure I've checked everything through, but you neve know.

Thanks in advance.

r.

2. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Sounds like it's configured for the wrong PAL standard, the different versions have different carrier frequencies for the sound.

Not sure how you can change it , I've had some VCRs that had a switch on the back panel to choose the version, not sure on the E55 though.

3. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    A Quick look on the panasonic.fr site ....

Tuner SECAM L et PAL B/G

Looks, like the tuners on the european E55s are SECAM L (French) and PAL B and G. Unfortunately, the UK is PAL I.

Looking at the spec sheet for a UK version of the E55 the manual shows it as PAL I only. So looks like Panasonic make one version for the UK alone, and another one for mainland europe only . Which I guess means you're going to be out of luck i'm afraid :(

4. scoobyd00

scoobyd00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Laura think that's it exactly there.

I wasn't even aware there were different PAL options.

Is this something I should have known or something the retailer should have pointed out to me...

r.

5. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well, i've just looked at the website, and whilst it does say clearly on the UK specific site that it's only SECAM L / PAL B&G , to most people the significance of it wouldn't be obvious.

Perhaps you could contact them and see if you could get either your money back or a UK compatible one. Depending on how long you've had this , you might be able to get your money back based on the Distance Selling laws, and the fact that it's not fit for purpose.

AV-Land have the multiregion E55 for only a little bit more than Pixmania, and it should be the correct version.

6. scoobyd00

scoobyd00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered it week before last and got it Wednesday just gone. I've sent them an email now, and hopefully they'll do something about this. I actually ordered this machine over the phone from them, and if it wasn't suitable for use in the UK I should have been informed at that stage by the person dealing with me is my opinion. Lets see if they agree. Fingers crossed. The irritating thing is that I so very nearly did by it from AV-Land, but I got swayed by the comparative glitz of the Pixmania site!

r.

7. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Did mention it briefly to my girlfriend (who used to be a legal expert) and she said that the distance selling rules wouldn't apply, however pointed this out.

So I should think you shouldn't have a problem. That said, see how quickly they reply to your email, if you haven't heard from them by the end of Monday, then call them on the phone and talk to them directly as the clock is running.

8. scoobyd00

scoobyd00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, saw those conditions too, was looking forward to the "Please ensure that the product has not been used" being used against me, despite me not being able to know there is a problem without it being used...

r.