Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-E30EB Download?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaisyandMe, Aug 23, 2005.

1. DaisyandMe

DaisyandMe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - New to DVD Recorders and stuck!

Got secondhand above recorder and linked it to portable tv (about 7 years old) with scart and aerial leads. It works OK and plays dvd films.

I bought pack of Panasonic LM-AF120LE5 DVD-RAM DISCS (all I could find) but it doesn't like them. I get 'U11 Read', followed by 'No Disc'.

When I do 'Functions' I get the screen with 9 oblongs - only 2 of which have anything in them - ie 'Time Recording' and 'Setup'.

When I choose 'Setup' followed by 'Tuning' and then 'Download', I get 'Your TV does not support Functions Download!'

Consequently, I can't get the new discs formatted or do any recording.

I have also tried with blank DVD-R (not Panasonic) discs - same result.

Hope you can help!

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Unclear as to what you are trying to do. DVD-RAM discs are already formatted when you
    purchase them and DVD-R are just placed in the disc tray and the Panasonic should read the available space according to the record mode selected e.g. Xp, SP, LP.

If you do not have the manual for this second-hand purchase then download it from the Panasonic website
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/download-centre.asp

It is also possible, of course, that your machine has a particular fault.

3. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like you needs a new laser assembly, you could try cleaning the laser with a cd/dvd cleaner but going by the age of the machine I think you're going to have to spend money on it

4. DaisyandMe

DaisyandMe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the replies to my request for help.

I know a little more about the DMR-E30 now.

I have come to wonder about the laser myself but I still don't understand why it can read my audio cd discs without problem.

I did get it to 'Read' 2 of the 5 new Panasonic Ram discs that I bought from PC World on Monday. When this happened I was able to get 'Disc Information' and, although, it said that 'Disc Protection' was 'Off', it also said 'Contents of this disc are protected. Cannot change protection.'.

'Erase All Programmes' said that 'This disc is not formatted properly. Cannot erase all programmes.'.

'Format - Unable to format. This is a non-recordable disc.'.

After finding out here that these discs are already formatted, I tried to 'Record' but it said 'No Record'.

Now curious, I tried one of these ram discs in my PC and it said File System INCDFS, Free Space 0 Bytes, Total Size 4.26 GB.

Also, it will not now 'Read' some of the dvd films that it 'Read' yesterday. The only dvd that it 'Reads' everytime is one from a Kitchen Wholesaler describing their products - been out to buy new kitchen earlier on in the week and they gave us this disc to take away.

5. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason that your CDs work OK is the recorder has two lasers inside the same pickup one for CDs & a shorter wavelength one for DVD. The information stored on the DVDs tracks are physically much smaller than CDs so any dust on the pickup, fingerprints on the disc & scratches are going cause more problems than if it was playing a CD.

Make sure your dvd-ram discs are spotlessly clean & if possible find an engineer to strip the mechanism to clean the lens, if its come from a smokers house they may be a layer of nicotine on the lens as well as the usual dust.

and if all this fails it maybe time to think about a replacement

6. DaisyandMe

DaisyandMe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. We have had some success!

Stripped the mechanism and cleaned the lens and inside of machine (filthy)and it now reads all 5 of the new ram discs and all 3 of the dvd films that I have got. It reads these discs consistently. It's age is exactly 3 years this month so I'm not expecting a great deal from it - have learned about the short life of these things when looking for answers to my problems.

What it will not do is to allow recording using these ram discs. Disc Information still gives the answers outlined in my second post above about all 5 of these discs. I wonder if because they are 3X they are too much for this aging machine?

I have checked the Manual and it recommends 4.7-GB, single sided, non cartridge: LM-AF120E.

My discs are LM-AF120LE and these were the only ones I could find.

I am hoping that this is the reason it will not record and that I am soon able to find the correct discs.

We are on holiday next week so I will let you know the outcome when we return.

Again, thanks for the help.

7. DaisyandMe

DaisyandMe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you know that, having got the right discs from Panasonic, the machine is playing and recording perfectly!

The discs it required are 1x and the ones I bought from PC World were 3x.

Pleased with the outcome and resources available here - thanks!

I got it from a car boot sale - £15!