1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Dubbing Aspect Setting

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Yuccaman, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Although I've read a couple of threads touching on this subject, I didn't understand most of them, so apologies if I am asking something already answered....

If I am dubbing a Widescreen broadcast onto DVD-R, what Dubbing Aspect setting do I choose for:

1 - Playback on a WideScreen TV.

2 - Playback on a 4:3 TV WITHOUT a WideScreen setting on it.

The Widescreen TV is mine, the 4:3's are my parents & neice - Now that my neice has discovered I bought myself a DVD Recorder, the orders are coming thick & fast for movies from Sky :)

From my limited tests so far, it appears:

1 - The WideScreen will playback both a "Squeezed" & a "Lettrbox" setting DVD-R in Widescreen mode, albeit with manual switching (which I knew I would have to do).

2 - The 4:3 TV (parents) played the "Letterbox" DVD-R fine (with no letterbox mind you - could this be to do with the DVD Player settings of 4:3 Pan & Scan ?)

3 - The picture on the DVD-R dubbed with "Squeeze" setting was vertically stretched (or horizontally squeezed).

As the WideScreen was fine in both modes, I am tempted to leave the Dubbing Aspect set to "Letterbox" if my limited tess above have answered my own questions :)

However, does the "Squeeze" setting offer any improvement in picture quality at all ? (more pixels in the vertical pane ???)

2. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone ???