1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DTX11 questions

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Glenn2, Oct 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Glenn2

Glenn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've decided to replace my 10-year old 21" Trinitron!

I'm very sensitive to flicker (I can't use a PC <85Hz) and after looking at 100Hz sets next to 50Hz sets I've decided I want one. I realise the picture isn't quite as natural, but it's nowhere near as bad as I remember when 100Hz sets first started appearing and I can live with it.

I looked at plasmas (quite liked a 32" Hitachi but heard stories of poor blacks on ALiS screens :confused: ) and LCDs (aren't they awful? :eek: ) but my eyes kept coming back to the Panny 28DTX11 when I was in John Lewis. A trip up the road to Selfridges and I had the same experience with the 32" version.

It didn't have the eye-popping, retina-singing qualities of the LCDs, but I watch TV in a dimly-lit room. I don't want to wear sunglasses, and I don't want dark scenes to have a blue haze over them! It was the only image in the shop that didn't make everything look like an animation in primary colours (LCD) *OR* flicker like buggery. Even the big Panny plasmas seemed to flicker.

I've more or less decided on a 28DTX11 until the flat-panel bods make something watchable but, I need a few things answered from someone that has one (28" or 32"):

a) the one in Selfridges had a kind of line flicker (you know when a fine line is only on one interlaced field) even though it was refreshing at 100Hz. The one in JL didn't seem to do this (both on Sky Sports News). Are there two 100Hz modes? Maybe one that just shows each alternate field twice and one that's cleverer? And can you run at 50Hz if you want to?

b) are there audio line outputs that are under the influence of the volume control? I'll be routing the audio through Rotel pre/power amps and MS speakers. The hi-fi is not remote controlled you see.

c) the image wasn't as bright as the 50Hz 28DTX1 (or was it 28DTM1?) that was next to it, despite contrast set to 100%. Do you find contrast/brightness wanting?

Sorry for such a long post but if you're still reading :boring: , input would be welcome!

2. Glenn2

Glenn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh, and....

d) can I watch 4:3 progs in normal 4:3?

e) if the answer to b) is yes, can the internal speakers be switched off? If they can't, does connecting 'phones disable the speakers but not the line outs? (so I can just connect a 3.5mm jack to turn off the speakers. Or would I just have to use the h/p out as my audio connection to the amp to get volume control?

3. Wingnut_72

Wingnut_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I Ordered the Panasonic TX32DTX11 from Sound and Vision Online, the set was faulty, it would switch it self off then on again, I reported the fault the day after receiving it.

I asked if this was a common fault with Panasonic TV's, they said no they are as reliable as any other make.

So I accepted a replacement, this had the same fault the TV would go in to standby and then turn it self back on again, I reported the fault the day after receiving it.

Sound & Vision took two weeks to collect the faulty second set, and a further 2.5 weeks before refunding my money, they never called me once during this time even when they said they would, it was always up to me to call them.

Also the IDTV was poor, the picture would turn green and the sound would go, all this meant the TV needed resetting, which as described in the manual means turning the TV off then on again.

Recently I found this review for the Panasonic TX28DTM1

http://http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-.../354625/reviews

It describes exactly the same faults I had with the TX32DTX11, even though Sound and Vision Online say they had never heard of that fault before.

These TV's are made in the Czech Republic, cheap labour poor quality control.

I wouldn't buy a Panasonic CRT or shop at soundandvisiononline again.