1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DS38

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Timmie Boy, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I would tell everybody that I am looking forward to receiving the above camera from Empire Direct at £600!
    Hope everyone is enjoying theirs!

2. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Timmie,
    yes, the Panasonic NV-DS38B is an excellent budget camcorder at that price. I was fortunate to buy one at the beginning of December, when it was offered for a short time by eDiscount for £549-00. They have since put the price up to £599-00 - (hence the many e-mails I have received from people who have read my "first impressions" review at - www.simplydv.co.uk - asking how I managed to purchase at that price, ) But it is still excellent value when compared to the price of £899-00 that Comet and Currys were asking for it, at the time.
    It can be found on a few websites now for £600 - £700-00 and for a camcorder with the manual features, and DV/Analogue - in/out, is well worth consideration.
    A good companion for it now would be Pinnacle Studio 7 - ( if you don't have a firewire card, then you need Pinnacle Studio DV - with Studio 7 software.) again, a good review at the Simply DV website.
    Hope that you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.
    Cheers, --- Alan.

3. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Floandal,

I have just received the DS38 this morning and what a beauty it is! I will look forward to using this camera when I go to Florida this summer!

You must have been reading my mind ref' to the Pinnacle 7/Studio I have just been reading up on it!
    I don't have a firewire card a the moment so I don't know whether to buy this independantly or with a combined Pinnacle package. I have old 8mm footage I would like to edit also, but I don't know whether to capture this footage via "analogue in" on the DS38 and "DV only" firewire card, or buy a firewire card with analogue and DV inputs.
    You can buy firewire cards for as little as £30 and decent software for £50.
    What will give me the best results? Due to the undecided recording format of DVD at present, I'm only interested in saving footage back to DV. (Will do DVD at a later date)
    BTW what size hard disk is suitable for using pinnacle software?

Many thanks for your comments

4. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Timmie,
    Pinnacle Studio 7 plus, has a firewire/analogue capture card bundled, - ( about £130-00 --- Studio DV & 7 software has just the firewire card, approx £90 - £100-00 - Studio 7 software only, approx £70-00 )
    Whether you capture analogue via a PCI - (or graphics card such as the ATI AIW } depends on the speed and efficiency of your hard drive. I used to capture analogue to a DC10+ card, and due to my one 5400rpm hard drive, used to struggle a little with dropped frames. It is better if you have a dedicated 7200rpm drive, for video capture.
    But as I do not drop any frames with DV capture, ( still to a 14Gb. partition on my single drive,) I have good results capturing analogue footage from the VCR to the Panasonic, then via firewire to the PC.
    Studio 7 also has the facility to capture at a low quality rate for editing, - ( Smart capture ) only taking up 360Mb of HD space per hour of video, after you have edited, the programme then just imports the high quality footage from the camcorder again, that needs to be rendered.
    Depending on your O/S file system, you may or may not need this facility, as Fat 32 will only allow you to continuously record up to 4Gb, a little over 17mins at full quality anyhow. But it is easy to splice shorter clips together anyhow.
    My only critiscism of the programme is the Mpeg codec, the quality of Mpeg 2 is poor, and if you want to make SVCD's then TMPenc is a slower, but superior programme.
    Hope this helps a little Timm, Cheers --- Alan.