Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Player: Owners Thread

The thing here is, do you really want it to be doing absolutely everything? The more a single box covers, the more there is to go wrong, keep firmware up to date etc. Despite having previously owned an Oppo 103, all I really want from a Bluray player is top notch sound and video with dual HDMI outputs. Music streaming, video streaming, SACD, DVD-A, headphone outputs etc are all nice additions, but not a deal breaker if the the player is top of its field with regards to what it should be doing. I don’t want the extras if some of those extras are going to be unused due to being a bit flaky or substandard.

The player is built more like an Oppo 205 - rather than the usual wrap around case, there’s substantial side plates and the top plate - literally just a top plate - screws securely into the top. The HDR optimiser is interesting, particularly as I don’t have a top of the range 4K TV, and probably won’t for a few years either.

The thing here is, do you really want it to be doing absolutely everything? The more a single box covers, the more there is to go wrong, keep firmware up to date etc. Despite having previously owned an Oppo 103, all I really want from a Bluray player is top notch sound and video with dual HDMI outputs. Music streaming, video streaming, SACD, DVD-A, headphone outputs etc are all nice additions, but not a deal breaker if the the player is top of its field with regards to what it should be doing. I don’t want the extras if some of those extras are going to be unused due to being a bit flaky or substandard.

Personally, I want a Universal Player. That would at the very least include 4K, BR, DVD, SACD & DVD-A. I was hoping this player would offer it, but doesn't sound like it does.

I’m just making an observation here, and not having a go at anyone, but I find it funny how we complain when an item doesn’t have a particular feature, but we never complain when an item has a feature we don’t want! After all, we’re paying for it! I don’t want analogue outputs, multi-channel outputs, optical or coax digital outputs, headphone socket, music streaming, nor any streaming apps I never use :)

One thing I do need though, and I’m hoping someone will offer the option at some point, is the ability to play US Blurays - even if I could afford to replace them all with UK ones, there are some that just aren’t available. Currently using a Sony 700, but having to revert back to my Panasonic BD60 to play US discs.

I’m just making an observation here, and not having a go at anyone, but I find it funny how we complain when an item doesn’t have a particular feature, but we never complain when an item has a feature we don’t want! After all, we’re paying for it! I don’t want analogue outputs, multi-channel outputs, optical or coax digital outputs, headphone socket, music streaming, nor any streaming apps I never use :)

One thing I do need though, and I’m hoping someone will offer the option at some point, is the ability to play US Blurays - even if I could afford to replace them all with UK ones, there are some that just aren’t available. Currently using a Sony 700, but having to revert back to my Panasonic BD60 to play US discs.

I would also define a "Universal Player" as one that could play BRs from all regions, so agree with you on that one. Imho, it should not be that difficult to provide a well made player that can do all these things for around GBP 1,000.

I’m just making an observation here, and not having a go at anyone, but I find it funny how we complain when an item doesn’t have a particular feature, but we never complain when an item has a feature we don’t want!
I've heard that complaint many times before. Usually when people want a receiver, without the power amplifier stages - because they already have a power amp, and just want the processing, but a receiver is usually cheaper than a processor.

Looking at the UB820, I'm actually thinking that I'd rather have it without the 7.1 and channel analogue outputs for, say, £50 cheaper.

I'd rather have all the 'stuff' in a media player than as has come normal the av receiver or processor.

Even when I had the Oppo 103, which was nice as it had Netflix, I was also using Amazon Prime video, so had to have a media box anyway. This came with Netflix, so there was no real point in it being in the player. I’d rather have a top quality stand alone media player for any streaming services, and just let the Bluray player be a disc spinner. At least the manufacturer of that Bluray player can stay on top of its importance stuff like the continuing development of DV and HDR and disc compatibilities.

I've heard that complaint many times before. Usually when people want a receiver, without the power amplifier stages - because they already have a power amp, and just want the processing, but a receiver is usually cheaper than a processor.

Looking at the UB820, I'm actually thinking that I'd rather have it without the 7.1 and channel analogue outputs for, say, £50 cheaper.
Or maybe the 420 pimped with DV up for £50 more.

I ordered my DP-UB9000 last Monday, and according to my Panny dealer, I should receive my new player by the end of September.

I ordered my DP-UB9000 last Monday, and according to my Panny dealer, I should receive my new player by the end of September.
I wonder why Panasonic don't have this product listed on their Panasonic Direct store...

Where was that?
Looking around at the usual suspects all I can see is Richers at £849 and themovierooms at £899 but neither of them are showing dates. Lots of listing for the new Pioneer but far less for the Panasonic.

Where was that?
Looking around at the usual suspects all I can see is Richers at £849 and themovierooms at £899 but neither of them are showing dates. Lots of listing for the new Pioneer but far less for the Panasonic.

Sorry I am Danish, so my BD player has been ordered in Copenhagen. It looks like, that the Danish dealers expect the player to arrive in about a week. Time will show.

Just ordered mine from Richer - official date Panny allows stores to release stock is apparently the 1st Oct, so I'll probably get mine on the 2nd now.

Last edited:
Just ordered mine from Richer - official date Panny allows stores to release stock is apparently the 1st Oct, so I'll probably get mine on the 2nd now.
And my player, which I was told could be delivered by the end of September has now been delayed to medio Oktober. Damn

And my player, which I was told could be delivered by the end of September has now been delayed to medio Oktober. Damn
Correction: Now it seems that I am going to receive my Panny player next Friday. Right now my player is on its way from Panasonic Nordic (located in Sweden) to Panasonic Denmark - and to me. That was great news to me.

I wonder why Panasonic don't have this product listed on their Panasonic Direct store...
Seems to be available now at a discount too?

upload_2018-9-27_10-58-32.png

Should this really be on a par with the OPPO203 " circa £700 to be priced right for the market?

Ordered from Richer Sounds with the Planet Earth/Blue Planet 4K bluray for £793.99 after they price matched Panasonics Price.

Sales agent on phone confirmed they have them instock and ready to go.

Should this really be on a par with the OPPO203 " circa £700 to be priced right for the market?
No. Especially as the Oppo is mostly out of stock apart from a few £750 MR ones.
On the per kg weight pricing I'm now using as a buying decision aid; the Oppo 203 is £150 per kg, 203MR £174 per kg vs £107 per kg for the UB9000....:cool:

I'd buy one now at the current pricing, just its fan is putting me off until there is some reviews/user feedback. Why Panasonic is putting a fan in vs the sealed case of the Pioneer LX-500/LX-800 is a puzzle to me and points to the HCX SOC running far hotter than the competition. If they have also had to have thermal thottling on the SOC that would put me off even more (not saying they have though).

Last edited:
Ordered from Richer Sounds with the Planet Earth/Blue Planet 4K bluray for £793.99 after they price matched Panasonics Price.

Sales agent on phone confirmed they have them instock and ready to go.
Was that RS Telesales or via a branch?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom