Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

My tv is the Samsung Q90r, I’ve been told it’s supposed to do it automatically. I think this might be the problem, the tv can do hdr10+ , the 820 can do hdr10+, but my Anthem mrx720 only does Dolby Vision and HDR. No hdr10 or hdr10+. At the moment can’t check things as SWMBO is watching her programmes .

My tv is the Samsung Q90r, I’ve been told it’s supposed to do it automatically. I think this might be the problem, the tv can do hdr10+ , the 820 can do hdr10+, but my Anthem mrx720 only does Dolby Vision and HDR. No hdr10 or hdr10+. At the moment can’t check things as SWMBO is watching her programmes .
MRX720 specs show passthrough for HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Unless it has had a firmware update to also enable HDR10+ passthrough that will be your problem.

You would need to use the two cable connect method to get HDR10+.
UB820 HDMI 1 (audio/video)-->Q90R
UB820 HDMI 2 (audio)-->MRX720

Last edited:
MRX720 specs show passthrough for HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Unless it has had a firmware update to also enable HDR10+ passthrough that will be your problem.

You would need to use the two cable connect method.
Thanks for that doug56hl, ive actually dropped a bollock by purchasing the Samsung, should have gone Sony or Panasonic as my Anthem can do Dolby Vision. Ah well you learn something everyday bloody technology.

Something is wrong there if it is outputting 1080p rather than 2160p.
What are the first and third lines of the playback info saying?
Have you got UHD Colour set for the input HDMI on the TV?
Has he put the right disc in? :D

Yes. The actual 4k disc is IT chapter two. Can’t go wrong really it’s a black disc with 4k ultra blu-ray written on the disc.

You can buy a remote on eBay to make it region free for dvd.

I just bought this remote from eBay and no instructions, somebody please enlighten me on how to use the remote to play UK dvds , I’m in Canada and have a few discs from the uk I’d like to play .
I’ve lost the listing on eBay as my daughter bought it for me. Otherwise I’d ask the seller
Thanks 😊

I just bought this remote from eBay and no instructions, somebody please enlighten me on how to use the remote to play UK dvds , I’m in Canada and have a few discs from the uk I’d like to play .
I’ve lost the listing on eBay as my daughter bought it for me. Otherwise I’d ask the seller
Thanks 😊
Do you have the link to the item ?

Thanks 😊
Was it purchased from here -

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
That’s the one , I’m in contact with the seller now , apparently they don’t work on US/Canada models
Ah that's a shame 🤔

You would need to use the two cable connect method to get HDR10+.
Hi doug56hl,
just to update you, done as you have suggested and it works I get Hdr10+.but the downside is you can’t get the Anthem gui on screen because the Blu-ray is not now going through the receiver, you just have to look at the Anthem screen for any info ie, volume etc.

Hi doug56hl,
just to update you, done as you have suggested and it works I get Hdr10+.but the downside is you can’t get the Anthem gui on screen because the Blu-ray is not now going through the receiver, you just have to look at the Anthem screen for any info ie, volume etc.
The only way you'll get the Anthem GUI is to abandon HDR10+ and go back to a single cable connection using HDR10 passthrough to the TV.

Or keep as-is with two cables from the UB820 and just switch to the Anthem HDMI input on the TV to do any changes and then switch back to the UB820 HDMI on the TV to watch the movie.

@MrNikeR: it might still work. Set your player to PAL, not NTSC. With the player powered up put batteries in the remote and hold down the button whilst pointing it at the player. You need to be no more than about 3 feet away. When the light goes out on the remote it’s done. If your player likes the codes, it will restart.

Clem

The only way you'll get the Anthem GUI is to abandon HDR10+ and go back to a single cable connection using HDR10 passthrough to the TV.

Or keep as-is with two cables from the UB820 and just switch to the Anthem HDMI input on the TV to do any changes and then switch back to the UB820 HDMI on the TV to watch the movie.
yes that’swhat I was thinking, might compare picture and decide which way to go. All I can say is Hdr10+ looked absolutely amazing.

@MrNikeR: it might still work. Set your player to PAL, not NTSC. With the player powered up put batteries in the remote and hold down the button whilst pointing it at the player. You need to be no more than about 3 feet away. When the light goes out on the remote it’s done. If your player likes the codes, it will restart.

Clem
Was this for me or @kb33 as it is him who is enquiring if it will work with a US/Canada player.

Clem

I can’t find the PAL setting in the menu , hoping this might work !

Ah, then it probably won’t. That might be the US/Canadian difference. UK DVDs will be in PAL format. UK 820 players can be set to NTSC or PAL, our TVs have for many years been able to support both formats.

Pity.

Clem

I can’t find the PAL setting in the menu , hoping this might work !
For UK/Europe models it is under System | TV Settings | TV System Pal or NTSC
Perform the setup so it matches the TV System of the connected TV.
USA UB820 manual doesn't have TV System settings available. Page 34
http://help.panasonic.ca/viewing/ALL/DP-UB820P/OI/TQBS0258/TQBS0258.pdf

UK uk.jpg USA usa.jpg

That’s the one , I’m in contact with the seller now , apparently they don’t work on US/Canada models
I suspect the multi region remote hack doesn't work due to different firmware used between the UK/European model and the USA/Canada model.

Last edited:
Thanks guys Im pretty sure it’s not going to work :(

Hi Doug,
gone back to a single cable using HDR10 pass through, it’s actually hard to tell the difference between HDR10 to HDR10+ .

Having an issue. I have a LG B9 tv. It is connected via ARC to a HW-Q90R soundbar. In HDMI 1 I have a Nvidia Shield (2017) and HDMI 2 a Panasonic UB820. Now when I switch inputs I have a couple issues. Either on the TV only one of the soundbar inputs will show up or the other concern is I go to Panasonic DVD and it doesn’t activate the 4K player. Tried turning Vierra both on and off. When I find it’s off it doesn’t even come up as a unit I can choose as an option via the input function. No issues with Nvidia Shield. I go to that option and worst case it might take a moment to come out of sleep mode but it works every time. Lastly if I turn the 4k player on with the remote it does work. Just surprised that choosing that option on the tv remote doesn’t turn on the player unless I power it on. Is this normal? Before returning my Sony x95g it would work.

Having an issue. I have a LG B9 tv. It is connected via ARC to a HW-Q90R soundbar. In HDMI 1 I have a Nvidia Shield (2017) and HDMI 2 a Panasonic UB820. Now when I switch inputs I have a couple issues. Either on the TV only one of the soundbar inputs will show up or the other concern is I go to Panasonic DVD and it doesn’t activate the 4K player. Tried turning Vierra both on and off. When I find it’s off it doesn’t even come up as a unit I can choose as an option via the input function. No issues with Nvidia Shield. I go to that option and worst case it might take a moment to come out of sleep mode but it works every time. Lastly if I turn the 4k player on with the remote it does work. Just surprised that choosing that option on the tv remote doesn’t turn on the player unless I power it on. Is this normal? Before returning my Sony x95g it would work.

hi I’m a bit confused. Firstly have you just connected one hdmi cable from the 820 to the tv? or have you used both and connected the audio only hdmi to the soundbar as well? If using just one cable have you definitely got it connected to the correct one, audio + video on the 820?
I would think the soundbar will pass through the main hdr formats so you could connect just one hdmi from the main hdmi out on the 820 to the soundbar, the test switching inputs between your nvidia shield and hdmi arc...
cheers

Just one HDMI cable. Straight into the soundbar. Concern is that when I switch either using the soundbar remote or the tv remote, the 4k player doesn’t automatically turn on. I have to manually turn it on. Once it’s on I can use the tv remote for everything. Just odd that when I select it it doesn’t auto switch on.

Better to route audio into the soundbar and picture into the TV using both ports on the 820.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom