Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

Nope. I played my Region A disc of Stunt Squad and also Patlabor Ultimate Collection. Both say Region A on them. 4K are all region free iirc?
A lot of region A discs are actually ALL or A/B/C or regions A/B. No Country For Old Men is a case in point. The case is marked region A. It caught me out when I ordered a copy from Amazon, so sent it back, thinking that it was a website error, but another copy of the disc that I got from HMV was marked the same, but displayed the menus, etc. (I haven't watched it yet) when I loaded it. Website blu-ray.com has plenty of details about this.

4K discs are region-free. it makes me wonder why if that's the case, region encoding for blu-rays, and DVDs for that fact, is still maintained.

Clem

Last edited:
My white sparkles only show on HDR blu ray HDR Netflix plays ok & 1080p blu ray is ok
Did your sparkling show on all sources?

To be fair, I only tried it on an HDR disk.....that was enough for me (it was THAT bad!!)
I tried my original HDMI lead again, and that produced no sparkles whatsoever.
I than swapped HDMI inputs on the back of the receiver, and played through HDMI input 2 (DVD) and playback was perfect. No sparkles, as mentioned, and no black outs at all, which is the problem I had been originally experiencing. The new HDMI lead, when plugged in to input 2, produced less sparkles than it did in input 3, but they were still there to a certain extent.
Watched 2 disks, including Hacksaw Ridge, (which had highlighted the original problem), they both played perfectly.
All of this is indicating to me that I have a problem with input 3, (designated Blu ray), on the receiver.
Just so you know, this is the HDMI lead I tried....

Rob

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There's a similar thread here:

IMHO I would try those AmazonBasics cables. They're excellent. Just make sure it's the latest revision of them.

To be fair, I only tried it on an HDR disk.....that was enough for me (it was THAT bad!!)
I tried my original HDMI lead again, and that produced no sparkles whatsoever.
I than swapped HDMI inputs on the back of the receiver, and played through HDMI input 2 (DVD) and playback was perfect. No sparkles, as mentioned, and no black outs at all, which is the problem I had been originally experiencing. The new HDMI lead, when plugged in to input 2, produced less sparkles than it did in input 3, but they were still there to a certain extent.
Watched 2 disks, including Hacksaw Ridge, (which had highlighted the original problem), they both played perfectly.
All of this is indicating to me that I have a problem with input 3, (designated Blu ray), on the receiver.
Just so you know, this is the HDMI lead I tried....

Rob
I'd really like to see a pic or video to fully understand the issue please.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'd really like to see a pic or video to fully understand the issue please.
I'll try to take some later to show you.
It's bad (I was worried about damaging my display)....... 😢 😢 😢

Sparklies is usually indicates a cable problem.
Try to use a Premium certified cable with hologram logo,can be picked up reasonably cheaply.
I use these:smashin:

Martin

Could start up a spreadsheet somewhere and add to it? A community collaboration of sorts.

I happened to stumble across this one recently:

Going back to this. I've tried all my Region A discs now and only one doesn't work with any tricks at all. Gutted!

I've tried multiple Criterion discs, all work fine with STOP then TOP MENU. Examples include Foreign Correspondent and Police Story 1 & 2.

The Street Fighter Collection is the only one I couldn't trick. Absolutely gutted!

R1 DVDs don't work, as I expected, but I wanted to test anyway. Off to eBay for the mini IR remote that only one seller seems to have a monopoly on it is then!

I've recently brought a DPU820 and have only played 4K discs so far. Gone to put a regular bluray disc on to find the player menu disappears, reverts to my LGB8's tv wallpaper, and won't play. It's not the disc (Yesterday), as I've now tried several different titles now, and none will play. I'm hoping that it's something really simple on the player set up. Help!

I've recently brought a DPU820 and have only played 4K discs so far. Gone to put a regular bluray disc on to find the player menu disappears, reverts to my LGB8's tv wallpaper, and won't play. It's not the disc (Yesterday), as I've now tried several different titles now, and none will play. I'm hoping that it's something really simple on the player set up. Help!
What is your HDMI output resolution set at? If you can please photograph and post here your HDMI settings. Are you using a direct to TV setup or going through something else? soundbar? or AVR?

What is your HDMI output resolution set at?
On settings the Video Format is set at Automatic.
4K (50p/60p) Output is set at Off
24p Output is on Automatic.
HDMI (Video) Output Mode is Automatic
HDMI (Audio) Output Mode is Audio Only
Dolby Vision Setting is On
HDR10+Setting is On

The 4K player has a HDMI cable connected from the VIDEO OUT(VIDEO/AUDIO) HDMI socket which connects directly to my subwoofer's HDMI IN1 port.
The subwoofer's HDMI OUT port is connected via a HDMI directly to the tv's HDMI 2 (ARC) port.

All of these bar me turning Dolby Vision on are the 'out of the box settings' and it's paired with a LG B8 OLED. Very much an amateur at this and have been previously used to more basic player. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
On settings the Video Format is set at Automatic.
4K (50p/60p) Output is set at Off
24p Output is on Automatic.
HDMI (Video) Output Mode is Automatic
HDMI (Audio) Output Mode is Audio Only
Dolby Vision Setting is On
HDR10+Setting is On

The 4K player has a HDMI cable connected from the VIDEO OUT(VIDEO/AUDIO) HDMI socket which connects directly to my subwoofer's HDMI IN1 port.
The subwoofer's HDMI OUT port is connected via a HDMI directly to the tv's HDMI 2 (ARC) port.

All of these bar me turning Dolby Vision on are the 'out of the box settings' and it's paired with a LG B8 OLED. Very much an amateur at this and have been previously used to more basic player. Any help is greatly appreciated.
To take the player being at fault out of the equation try in this order ( but you can do 3. at any time)
  1. a direct connection from the UB820 to the TV and see how you get on then. I suspect problem is to do with the subwoofer passthrough. What make is it?
  2. If that doesn't make any difference try a different HDMI port on the TV (again with a direct to TV connection).
  3. Turn off HDR10+. Your TV can't do that and it serves no purpose being on. Unlikely to be causing the issue but turning it off confirms that.
  4. When doing 1 and 2 above completely power off the TV and the player each time (not standby but really off).
  5. Do a factory reset on the player.
Final question: Have you done a firmware update on the player. Latest firmware is V1.60

Last edited:
To take the player being at fault out of the equation try in this order ( but you can do 3. at any time)
  1. a direct connection from the UB820 to the TV and see how you get on then. I suspect problem is to do with the subwoofer passthrough. What make is it?
  2. If that doesn't make any difference try a different HDMI port on the TV (again with a direct to TV connection).
  3. Turn off HDR10+. Your TV can't do that and it serves no purpose being on. Unlikely to be causing the issue but turning it off confirms that.
  4. When doing 1 and 2 above completely power off the TV and the player each time (not standby but really off).
Final question: Have you done a firmware update on the player. Latest firmware is V1.60
Have already checked the firmware and it says the latest is installed when I tried to update, but doesn't state what it is exactly.
I had previously used all the same connections and cables and swapped the 4K player back to an older Sony player, and the blurays ALL work absolutely fine through the same fittings.
Will check the other stuff in the morning as I have an early start. Thanks very much in the meantime, and I'll let you know how I get on.

Last edited:
  • 1) A direct connection from the UB820 to the TV and see how you get on then. I suspect problem is to do with the subwoofer passthrough. What make is it?
  • 1) I've tried that with the connection going from the 4K player's HDMI VIDEO OUT (VIDEO AUDIO) to the tv's HDMI IN 2 (ARC). It now plays both blurays and 4K discs picturewise, but no sound to either. The subwoofer/Soundbar is a Samsung.

• 2}If that doesn't make any difference try a different HDMI port on the TV (again with a direct to TV connection).
  • 2) Having tried the other two HDMI ports on the tv, neither display sound OR picture for the discs.

3)Turn off HDR10+. Your TV can't do that and it serves no purpose being on. Unlikely to be causing the issue but turning it off confirms that.
3) Turned the HDR10+ off but makes no difference.

• 4)When doing 1 and 2 above completely power off the TV and the player each time (not standby but really off).
  • 4) All completed with the power fully off

• 5)Do a factory reset on the player.
  • 5)I've put the player back to it's factory settings.
Having done all of these, the blurays at least play using the first thing you suggested, but there's no sound for either 4K OR bluray discs. I know you mentioned the connection with the subwoofer being a potential problem, but I have connected an older Sony bluray player through it and the bluray discs play just fine.
Any more suggestions?

Last edited:
Try turning the deep colour setting to off in the tv settings for the hdmi input that connects the player.
If you are getting picture can you not use the other hdmi audio out on the 820 to the samsung?
Martin

Last edited:
1) I've tried that with the connection going from the 4K player's HDMI VIDEO OUT (VIDEO AUDIO) to the tv's HDMI IN 2 (ARC). It now plays both blurays and 4K discs picturewise, but no sound to either. The subwoofer/Soundbar is a Samsung.
Model number of your Samsung?

Check your TV sound settings for output and change to internal speaker if necessary. That is just to check the sound from the UB820..

Longer term continue with direct cable to TV and connect the 2nd audio out cable to the samsung.
UB820 HDMI (Video)--->TV
UB820 HDMI (Audio)--->Samsung

Does anyone have this annoying problem with their 820?

I have my 820 connected to both my TV (in this case, an LG) for video and to my soundbar (a Yamaha YSP4100) for audio. I have VieraLink enabled on the player. When I power it up, it causes the TV to switch to the correct HDMI input. All good so far. I then select the correct HDMI port on the soundbar, switching it away from the default TV input. I then load a disc. The player seems to partially drop the HDMI connection, enough to blank the screen for a few seconds which causes the soundbar to switch back to the TV input because presumably the TV senses the change. If I manage to switch the soundbar back to the correct HDMI input in time as disc playback starts, I’ll get audio through it, if not, I get nothing, as if the 820 has ignored the connection. The whole thing is just too hit and miss. If, as the disc is loading, I repeatedly jab the soundbar’s remote to select the correct input, then all is good. If I don’t get the timing just right, I then have to eject the disc and start all over again. I saw exactly the same issue when I was using the 820 connected to my Panasonic TV, so it’s not a TV issue, nor is it the VieraLink setting, because this whole song and dance occurs after the player has powered-up and presented its menu. I've seen this on two 820s that I've now tried. The solution, I suspect, is to replace the soundbar with something more modern so that I could route both video and audio through it to my TV, but I don’t really want to do that until such time as the Yamaha dies (says he, tempting fate). In all other respects, input dance aside, things work as expected.

In my opinion, it’s definitely down to the 820, be it hardware, software or a combination of both. I can see nothing in the settings that can alter this behaviour, and the firmware is up-to-date. Does anyone have any suggestions before I report this to Panasonic, not that I expect anything by way of a solution from them.

Cheers, Clem

Does anyone have this annoying problem with their 820?

I have my 820 connected to both my TV (in this case, an LG) for video and to my soundbar (a Yamaha YSP4100) for audio. I have VieraLink enabled on the player. When I power it up, it causes the TV to switch to the correct HDMI input. All good so far. I then select the correct HDMI port on the soundbar, switching it away from the default TV input. I then load a disc. The player seems to partially drop the HDMI connection, enough to blank the screen for a few seconds which causes the soundbar to switch back to the TV input because presumably the TV senses the change. If I manage to switch the soundbar back to the correct HDMI input in time as disc playback starts, I’ll get audio through it, if not, I get nothing, as if the 820 has ignored the connection. The whole thing is just too hit and miss. If, as the disc is loading, I repeatedly jab the soundbar’s remote to select the correct input, then all is good. If I don’t get the timing just right, I then have to eject the disc and start all over again. I saw exactly the same issue when I was using the 820 connected to my Panasonic TV, so it’s not a TV issue, nor is it the VieraLink setting, because this whole song and dance occurs after the player has powered-up and presented its menu. I've seen this on two 820s that I've now tried. The solution, I suspect, is to replace the soundbar with something more modern so that I could route both video and audio through it to my TV, but I don’t really want to do that until such time as the Yamaha dies (says he, tempting fate). In all other respects, input dance aside, things work as expected.

In my opinion, it’s definitely down to the 820, be it hardware, software or a combination of both. I can see nothing in the settings that can alter this behaviour, and the firmware is up-to-date. Does anyone have any suggestions before I report this to Panasonic, not that I expect anything by way of a solution from them.

Cheers, Clem
I reckon it's the soundbar or CEC. I'd suggest turning CEC (Vieralink) off and power things on manually and see if there is any improvement.. Or get a newer soundbar with 4K passthrough.

While the player has powered up it still does a renegotiation with the TV for the 4K signal. The player menu AFAIK is not 4K but 1080p. So UHD starts and player gets TV to switch from a 1080p signal to a 4K signal. And it is that TV switch which because of CEC forces your soundbar back to the TV input.

My players UB820 and X700 both drop and reconnect whenever a disc starts playing. I rarely get the first few bars on the studio logo music. But I don't use CEC, rather I power on and input manually (albeit using a Harmony remote power on activity sequence)

Last edited:
Is there a One For All setup for DVD region free on the UB820? Tried a few guides on these forums but none of them work.

Don't really want to buy that eBay dooberry unless I absolutely have to. Why is the code such a guarded secret that one seller has a monopoly?

Model number of your Samsung?

Check your TV sound settings for output and change to internal speaker if necessary. That is just to check the sound from the UB820..

Longer term continue with direct cable to TV and connect the 2nd audio out cable to the samsung.
UB820 HDMI (Video)--->TV
UB820 HDMI (Audio)--->Samsung
All sorted finally! Now using all 3 HDMI ports in the tv. One directly to the 4k player now, one directly to the Samsung Subwoofer (ARC), and the other to the Sky box.
I was clearly not doing things correctly as not only do ALL the discs now play, but HDR now kicks in the with the 4k discs a nd looks amazing. Cheers for the pointers. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Is there a One For All setup for DVD region free on the UB820? Tried a few guides on these forums but none of them work.

Don't really want to buy that eBay dooberry unless I absolutely have to. Why is the code such a guarded secret that one seller has a monopoly?
It's not that it's a closely guarded secret but that it is a very long sequence of raw hex codes one after another. I don't know if these are still valid for the UB820 but you can get an idea of what is involved.
Blu-Ray Player Multi-Region Hex Codes

Last edited:
Hi chaps, I have ordered a UB820EB after being disappointed with the xbox one x UHD playback. Has anyone upgraded from an xbox one x and can offer an opinion on any difference?

It's not that it's a closely guarded secret but that it is a very long sequence of raw hex codes one after another. I don't know if these are still valid for the UB820 but you can get an idea of what is involved.
Blu-Ray Player Multi-Region Hex Codes

Tried it. Didn't work. Thanks though for the info.

I bought a One For All remote especially. Took it back to Tesco and got a refund. Guess it's the eBay monopoly person as the last resort.

Well my 820 arrived and I am having fun. I don't notice a massive increase in PQ over the xbox one but there is an improvement and the HDR settings button is great.

I have a 65" C9 and in the 820 settings for HDR TV Type, there is no option for OLED. I saw a screenshot of these settings and OLED was there, just wondering why it's not in my menu?

Also, out of the box netflix and prime where playing in 1080p, had to fiddle with the settings to fix that but they are now playing in 4k.

There are a LOT of settings :/

Well my 820 arrived and I am having fun. I don't notice a massive increase in PQ over the xbox one but there is an improvement and the HDR settings button is great.

I have a 65" C9 and in the 820 settings for HDR TV Type, there is no option for OLED. I saw a screenshot of these settings and OLED was there, just wondering why it's not in my menu?

Also, out of the box netflix and prime where playing in 1080p, had to fiddle with the settings to fix that but they are now playing in 4k.

There are a LOT of settings :/

That's really weird. I have just checked my 820 settings and the 4 options appear as per the above screenshot.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom